First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has been covered already:

Does anyone have good suggestions for a Code Reader?

Thanks!

Benny
Sponsored

casual_reader

Outer Banks
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport OB / Focus RS

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
honestly for what it's worth, most auto parts stores will scan codes for free. My daughter has a beetle nearly as old as her...had an engine light come on and she's a few hours west of us. I suggested the local auto parts store, scanned and figured out the issues pretty quick. Having yoru own code tool would probably be nice...but I am dumb enough/dangerous enough I'd just cause more trouble :)

OP
OP

Benny

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

casual_reader

Outer Banks
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport OB / Focus RS
Ok sounds good. I'll check that out. Pardon the ignorance - but I'm just wondering how a code reader can damage the vehicle?

Well, a few years ago. my friend got one off ebay. I don't remember the brand but, it was i like $20 and it connects via bluetooth to his phone. he plugged it in and turned his car. the damn thing sparked and never turned on. The ODB port wasn't dead thankfully. But there was scoring/arching on the connector. A toothbrush and 99.0% isoproply cleaned it right up. So, that's my old wives tale.

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
OBDLink MX is a fantstic reader. The new one called MX + has replaced it. for $100, and not doing bi-direction acuataor control, it is a good unit. It works well with ForScan for windows and Torque for Android.

I have not tried the bluedriver, but it looks like it can do all the same for less money.

Last edited:

Group_44

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Platinum,80 Triumph TR8, 69 Jag XKE 2+2
OBDLink MX is a fantstic reader. The new one called MX + has replaced it. for $100, and not doing bi-direction acuataor control, it is a good unit. It works well with ForScan for windows and Torque for Android.

I have not tried the bluedriver, but it looks like it can do all the same for less money.
I bought one of these to use on my '16 F150 Platinum to use with ForScan, it works well. If you get a stand alone reader make sure it upgradable .

Chadwick

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My wife and I have ScanGauge 2 OBD-2 readers in our other cars (Mazda Miata, Toyota Prius). It is nice to be able to monitor various data points that are not readily displayed by the cars information displays (battery voltage, instantaneous MPG, trip MPG, coolant temperature). They can also read emissions codes and reset them (once you have fixed the issue).

They are available through Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Automotive-Computer-Customizable-Real-Time/dp/B000AAMY86?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

-Keith.
Sponsored