Cleaning issues with cloth accents on OB/BL leather seats?

zachc275

Outer Banks
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks (Area 51)
Hi all,

New to BSForum but wanted to ask a question about the leather seats found on the OB/BL editions. Considering an OB and I didn't realize until recently that they still have some cloth material. I think I've seen Ford market them as "easy-to-clean," but wondering how the user experience has actually been.

Part of the reason I'm considering an OB over a BB is because of the leather seats and how much more hassle-free they are cleaning-wise. I know some may say that cloth seats work fine if you clean them effectively, but I'd rather have the nicer leather material anyways. Just wondering if the cloth accents eliminate the advantage leather seats usually have and if they're really easy-clean.

Thanks!
Sponsored

NDB2Guy

Badlands
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 BII, 89 BII, 89 Ranger, 14 F150, 22 BSport
Or buy a Big Bend and install some Katzkin leathers...way better leather and if you don't care about some of the OB features, still save yourself some money. That's my plan on my BL poverty package after having some awful experiences with Ford's "leather" in an Edge.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
The Badlands leather seat is actually different from the Outer Banks. It's got suede patches and may or may not have micro-perf. They used to but some people have said it's been switched out. You've noticed how the bolsters are a cloth on OB, but I don't know that makes a huge difference in cleaning. It sounds like you really expect to mess them up! Worst case, there are a lot of high tech cleaners and systems out there.

You can also change seat covers. Either get an upholstery shop to do it or buy slip on ones or just seat covers. I would look more at the additional tech and "comfort" equipment on the OB and decide if you want those features. That's where most of the extra $$ goes. The engine/suspension/etc is all the same between the BB and OB. If the seats are all you care about you can probably save enough to upgrade them.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
What happens if you get leather cleaner on the suede areas on Badlands leather seats? Anyone know?

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
What happens if you get leather cleaner on the suede areas on Badlands leather seats? Anyone know?
I avoid getting it on there. You can get suede conditioner that comes in a spray can and if that gets on the leather it's NBD. If you use a McGuire's wipe or something for the leather cleaner it will eventually crust up and squish the suede nap into a nasty mess. I added covers that mostly cover the suede because I didn't want to get it with a wet shirt or jacket and do the same. I bet there's some sort of special conditioning brush or something for it like shoes used to have before the world switched to disposables.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Get one of those thin, flexible cutting boards and tuck it in the seam to form a shield. Apply leather cleaner in that section, then move the shield. Repeat.

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Or buy a Big Bend and install some Katzkin leathers...way better leather and if you don't care about some of the OB features, still save yourself some money. That's my plan on my BL poverty package after having some awful experiences with Ford's "leather" in an Edge.
That's a cool Bronco II
Sponsored