Chronic warped brake rotors

Marky

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
My 2021 BS Big Bend had all rotors and pads changed under warranty due to warped rotors. Now they are warped again (pulsation when braking). I wonder if they have better quality brakes to upgrade them with before my warranty expires?
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
My 2021 BS Big Bend had all rotors and pads changed under warranty due to warped rotors. Now they are warped again (pulsation when braking). I wonder if they have better quality brakes to upgrade them with before my warranty expires?
It's not very likely that you actually warped the rotors. Rotors are made from beefy cast iron, and they are designed to hold their shape over countless heat/cool cycles. It's more likely that a combination of heat and stop/go traffic created a buildup of brake pad material on a portion of one or more rotors. These buildups do not have the same friction as the rest of the rotor. Under braking, the change in friction generates a pulsing or shuddering. You can read more about the phenomenon here:

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1808-nuts-and-bolts-warped-rotor-myth/

When you get a new set of brakes try to take it easy on them the first few hundred miles. Don't try to be the first car to the next stop light. Instead, coast to a stop as much as possible when approaching a light to avoid getting the rotors super hot. Try not to sit stopped with your foot on the brake if you know the rotors are hot.

You can accelerate the bed in process by following this guide:

https://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php

SWUKU

First Edition
First Name
GB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My eldest child drives an Escape, and their pulsating brakes were due to faulty rubber brake line near the wheel which kept constant pressure on the pads.
It took a while to diagnose - replacing the rotor and pads did not help (and is unlikely an issue on your new BS) ... but wanted to post in case it helps.

Last edited:

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
warped rotors are usually due to hard stops as mentioned above. very rare to see rotors warp otherwise.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
From Mark S. Post #2
Try not to sit stopped with your foot on the brake if you know the rotors are hot.

I would not be surprised if the "Auto Hold" feature accelerates the "brake judder" sensation, especially for those who make hard stops regularly. Holding excess brake pressure on hot rotors definitely causes brake pad material transfer that causes brake judder (most often thought to be warped rotors).

Last edited:

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
The rotors on my old Hyundai were constantly warped due to New England rust. If you're in an area that uses a ton of road salt, premature rust could definitely be a factor.
Sponsored

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jason Petri Issues, Repairs, Warranty, Recalls, TSB 17