billschultz

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has seen or knows of this CarPlay issue I'm having. I just picked up my Bronco Sport last night and I have been unable to get CarPlay to work. When I plugged my phone in to initially pair, I got the usual pop-ups on my iPhone and on Sync to allow CarPlay. Then it acts as if my phone isn't plugged in. No CarPlay button on the bottom of the screen. I can see CarPlay in the settings, but no button to go in to CarPlay. The maps on the built in nav are still present as well which tells me that its not communicating with the iPhone.

I have tried removing the phone from the car, and the car from the phone, then restarting both multiple times. On two occasions after the initial pairing of devices, I will get the normal CarPlay screen to come up, but after 5-10 seconds everything goes blank on the screen. The screen becomes completely unresponsive.

I have also tried resetting the sync system in the car to factory defaults. Still no help there.

My wife and I both have iPhone 11s with the latest software update. The issue is happening with both devices. I have been using CarPlay on my Fusion for the last 3 years without hiccup, so having issues here is completely new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Fusion Hybrid, '20 Escape Hybrid
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has seen or knows of this CarPlay issue I'm having. I just picked up my Bronco Sport last night and I have been unable to get CarPlay to work. When I plugged my phone in to initially pair, I got the usual pop-ups on my iPhone and on Sync to allow CarPlay. Then it acts as if my phone isn't plugged in. No CarPlay button on the bottom of the screen. I can see CarPlay in the settings, but no button to go in to CarPlay. The maps on the built in nav are still present as well which tells me that its not communicating with the iPhone.

I have tried removing the phone from the car, and the car from the phone, then restarting both multiple times. On two occasions after the initial pairing of devices, I will get the normal CarPlay screen to come up, but after 5-10 seconds everything goes blank on the screen. The screen becomes completely unresponsive.

I have also tried resetting the sync system in the car to factory defaults. Still no help there.

My wife and I both have iPhone 11s with the latest software update. The issue is happening with both devices. I have been using CarPlay on my Fusion for the last 3 years without hiccup, so having issues here is completely new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Have you updated to the latest software yet? Worth a try if you’re still on 3.4.20136, which I would guess is on there from the factory.

OP
OP
billschultz

billschultz

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Have you updated to the latest software yet? Worth a try if you’re still on 3.4.20136, which I would guess is on there from the factory.
Yeah, Sync is on the latest software. It's weird, the system started working out of nowhere, then after parking the car for a couple of hours same issue again.

When I plug my phone in, I see the iPhone detected with the USB symbol pop up at the top of the screen, but after that it does nothing and is not recognized. The only benefit I'm getting at this point it charging. I've tried 2 different iPhones and 3 lightning cables. All cables are Apple cables, and I have tried both USB and USB-C cables.

I have an appointment for something else at the dealer Monday morning, so hopefully they can figure out what is happening. I'll be sure to report back what happens.

Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
Yeah, Sync is on the latest software. It's weird, the system started working out of nowhere, then after parking the car for a couple of hours same issue again.

When I plug my phone in, I see the iPhone detected with the USB symbol pop up at the top of the screen, but after that it does nothing and is not recognized. The only benefit I'm getting at this point it charging. I've tried 2 different iPhones and 3 lightning cables. All cables are Apple cables, and I have tried both USB and USB-C cables.

I have an appointment for something else at the dealer Monday morning, so hopefully they can figure out what is happening. I'll be sure to report back what happens.
I just experienced this the other day. Unplugging/replugging the cable didnt work, forscan was up to date, even turned engine off/on still no go. I restarted my phone and carplay popped up again. Perhaps a simple reboot of your phone will fix your issue too.

iconicslvr

Outer Banks
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Have you checked your vehicle’s CarPlay settings? A friend plugged their phone in and activated CarPlay which disabled CarPlay for my phone. I thought CarPlay had stopped working, but then I checked the setting and the toggle was just turned off for my phone.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands

Thanks,
Bill
Mine did the same thing. I went and bought a new cable and it started working flawlessly. I bought the OEM one. Over time the cables wear out a bit.

OP
OP
billschultz

billschultz

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I somehow wasn't getting notifications for this thread.

I found the issue. Turns out it was because I using a beta version of iOS. I didn't expect that to be the issue though because my iPhone was working just fine in the Fusion, but for some reason the Bronco was not connecting properly. Both vehicles have Sync 3, but there must be differences in the firmware builds between the vehicles which caused the difference. It was a known issue I guess with a previous beta which has since been fixed.

Jason Petri

First Edition
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonpetri.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I somehow wasn't getting notifications for this thread.

I found the issue. Turns out it was because I using a beta version of iOS. I didn't expect that to be the issue though because my iPhone was working just fine in the Fusion, but for some reason the Bronco was not connecting properly. Both vehicles have Sync 3, but there must be differences in the firmware builds between the vehicles which caused the difference. It was a known issue I guess with a previous beta which has since been fixed.
Are you using the current beta (as of July 2, 2021) without issue?
Sponsored