Can someone explain the differences between the BroncoSports AWD and the Subaru's?

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
This is more of a general question but its something I don't quite understand and would like to. I know the Fords engages quicker, thats been shown on numerous youtube videos, I also know the Subaru relies more on brake vectoring I think. I'm also certain the CVT in the Subaru doesn't do its AWD system any favors.

If someone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Grab some popcorn, here we go again! 🍿
:party::lipssealed::computerrage::ontheloo::punch::idea::brokenheart:
I guess I should've done a search first, I'll go ahead and do that now.

This isn't meant to be a debate between 4WD and AWD though, I'm just wondering the mechanical differences between them not the verbage and whats what.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
No, you are fine! I was just making a bad joke, that I tried to immediately delete but you were too fast. And your post is quite specific so it would be good for someone later that is searching to find this thread.
I was just teasing as sometimes the opinions on this topic get “fun”

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
In simple terms, isn't Subaru 50:50, and Ford is FWD biased with RWD, as needed?

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Subaru Outback
I'm enjoying my 2022 Bronco Sport and my wife is happy with her 7th Subaru Outback. Both vehicles share the same garage and seem to be getting along quite nicely.
We have the same combo - Bronco Sport and Outback. Both AWD systems seem to work well in snow, which is what we need. Both actually drive similarly to me - Bronco sits higher and is a shorter vehicle, the Outback is lower and longer. Both have been good vehicles so far.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Both vehicles use similar AWD strategies--as you noted, primarily brake vectoring to stop the wheels that are spinning and force torque to the wheels that aren't. The one advantage your Badlands has over all Subarus is the same advantage it has over other Bronco Sport trims: the dual clutch locking rear differential.

Brake vectoring trades engine torque for traction. That means you give up some of the torque you could have applied to driving the wheels because the engine is working against the brakes on the wheels that want to spin. With the dual-clutch diff in your Badlands, all engine torque can be applied directly to driving the rear wheels.

What does this mean in the real world? Probably not as much as most people would like to think. If you are taking both vehicles to the limit, and you have the skills to fully utilize all of the vehicle's capability, the Badlands would have a slight edge. How often does that happen?

If you search for "Bronco Sport vs Subaru" on YouTube you'll find a plethora of comparisons to see how these systems work out on the trails.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
As mentioned, the Subaru and BS AWD systems are a lot alike. There is a bigger difference with the BS Badlands and First Edition models, as the AWD/4WD system on these model's can be locked in different configurations. This added feature allows locking all 4 wheels or locking the rear differential which both can enhance traction in various offroad driving situations.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Also, I hear that even though you can turn off traction control on some Subaru models it still restricts engine power if the wheels are slipping to much.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Both vehicles use similar AWD strategies--as you noted, primarily brake vectoring to stop the wheels that are spinning and force torque to the wheels that aren't. The one advantage your Badlands has over all Subarus is the same advantage it has over other Bronco Sport trims: the dual clutch locking rear differential.

Brake vectoring trades engine torque for traction. That means you give up some of the torque you could have applied to driving the wheels because the engine is working against the brakes on the wheels that want to spin. With the dual-clutch diff in your Badlands, all engine torque can be applied directly to driving the rear wheels.

What does this mean in the real world? Probably not as much as most people would like to think. If you are taking both vehicles to the limit, and you have the skills to fully utilize all of the vehicle's capability, the Badlands would have a slight edge. How often does that happen?

If you search for "Bronco Sport vs Subaru" on YouTube you'll find a plethora of comparisons to see how these systems work out on the trails.
Plethora? Down here in North Carolina we would call that "a bunch of."🤓

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
The Subaru uses a center clutch system to send power front and rear.

It has open differentials front and rear, and uses the computer to control braking like a limited slip differential. The off-road modes adjust amount of spin. Subaru is a 45/55 power split front to rear.

Remember the Subaru still has to get through the cvt lag before it can send power to the wheels that need it. There's way more of a delay in the drivetrain than Ford. Makes a big difference off-road. And feels significantly longer when you're waiting on the power to be put down vs it happening almost instantly and smoothly. The Subaru you really need to wind out off-road to get across obstacles and up and over things because of this. That’s usually how you break stuff.

The BL awd system has selectable center diff lock to send power 50/50 front and rear. It also has open diffs. But the rear has the locker. More like a really good mechanical LSD.

So add that and Fords awd system to a good transmission and you're able to get the power down much much quicker. The BL has center and rear diff coolers. It can handle the stresson and off throttle for far longer and under more stress than a cvt can.
The Subaru system isn't bad. It just hasn't changed much in over a decade. Is actually gotten worse as they've shifted away from mechanical drivetrain (real transmission) and driveline components to computer assisted ones.

Toyota, Honda, Ford, jeep all have far better AWD systems than Subaru at this point.

They've come a long way in the last 10 years.

What they don't have though is

Subarus die hard fan boys and marketing.
Take both off-road if you can to see what I mean. Or go out with some people in subies and listen to those things scream trying to get over small things. Hell watch some videos online to see what I mean.

There's a huge subie crowd here. They lift and wheel it all. Local subie place sells them already lifted, etc. So I've had so good exposure prior to buying the Badlands.
This is a convo I had by someone cross shopping them.

Neil

Big Bend
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini
The Subaru uses a center clutch system to send power front and rear.

It has open differentials front and rear, and uses the computer to control braking like a limited slip differential. The off-road modes adjust amount of spin. Subaru is a 45/55 power split front to rear.

Remember the Subaru still has to get through the cvt lag before it can send power to the wheels that need it. There's way more of a delay in the drivetrain than Ford. Makes a big difference off-road. And feels significantly longer when you're waiting on the power to be put down vs it happening almost instantly and smoothly. The Subaru you really need to wind out off-road to get across obstacles and up and over things because of this. That’s usually how you break stuff.

The BL awd system has selectable center diff lock to send power 50/50 front and rear. It also has open diffs. But the rear has the locker. More like a really good mechanical LSD.

So add that and Fords awd system to a good transmission and you're able to get the power down much much quicker. The BL has center and rear diff coolers. It can handle the stresson and off throttle for far longer and under more stress than a cvt can.
The Subaru system isn't bad. It just hasn't changed much in over a decade. Is actually gotten worse as they've shifted away from mechanical drivetrain (real transmission) and driveline components to computer assisted ones.

Toyota, Honda, Ford, jeep all have far better AWD systems than Subaru at this point.

They've come a long way in the last 10 years.

What they don't have though is

Subarus die hard fan boys and marketing.
Take both off-road if you can to see what I mean. Or go out with some people in subies and listen to those things scream trying to get over small things. Hell watch some videos online to see what I mean.

There's a huge subie crowd here. They lift and wheel it all. Local subie place sells them already lifted, etc. So I've had so good exposure prior to buying the Badlands.
This is a convo I had by someone cross shopping them.
The Subie’s CVT is the second main reason I decided against having another (the first being bland design). I hated the delay, even just pulling away on-road, never mind the off-road implications of that delay. Always felt to me like there was a rubber band in the drivetrain.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22

Infidel! :cool:

But -- I like the *idea* that our BL has the dual clutch locking rear differential. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Seriously though, I'm too lazy to search for videos right now, but I do recall seeing at least a couple off-road Subie-BS BL comparison videos where the BL was clearly better. The difference wasn't *huge*, the Subaru did alright -- certainly good enough for most typical on-pavement situations, but it did spin and get stuck in places where the BL just walked right through.

The course was not particularly difficult -- just an uphill dirt path with some undulations/dips.

BTW, I have a 2002 WRX I bought new in 2001. I like Subarus. From what I saw though, the AWD system in the BL is noticeably better than what Subaru uses.

Of course to be fair, the OE tires should be considered. I think they are similar, but I'm not sure.
Sponsored

Last edited: