Camping and tailgate electrical accessories

Rinzler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I tailgated a game yesterday. Found out that an electric skillet at 1500 watts too much for outlets. Thankfully tested early in the day to do a plan B. Good news is a crock pot at 300 watts is aOK. so instead of quesadillas, I made chili. Plugged in the center console on the drive to the stadium using the one at the base of the rear seats. Just kept it on the floor. Removed the floormat so the rubberized flooring gave it a bit more grip.

Vehicle was perfect for a few reasons:
1) it was raining at times, so the tailgate and even the rear passenger seats were used. Everyone dug exploring the interior zipper and hidden storage.
2) cargo management system table — awesome. Staged the crockpot and accoutrements on it.
3) tailgate lights. As it was getting darker, helped keep the party going and with cleanup.
wish I took pics. Forgot with the weather and socializing

So the real point of this is asking experienced tailgaters and campers for favorite electric accessories when staged. I may get a separate power pack that could handle my existing skillet but plugging into the rear standard or 12v would be good. Searching for a sub-500w griddle isn’t easy to find, if one exists.
Sponsored

xlite

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I tailgated a game yesterday. Found out that an electric skillet at 1500 watts too much for outlets. Thankfully tested early in the day to do a plan B. Good news is a crock pot at 300 watts is aOK. so instead of quesadillas, I made chili. Plugged in the center console on the drive to the stadium using the one at the base of the rear seats. Just kept it on the floor. Removed the floormat so the rubberized flooring gave it a bit more grip.

Vehicle was perfect for a few reasons:
1) it was raining at times, so the tailgate and even the rear passenger seats were used. Everyone dug exploring the interior zipper and hidden storage.
2) cargo management system table — awesome. Staged the crockpot and accoutrements on it.
3) tailgate lights. As it was getting darker, helped keep the party going and with cleanup.
wish I took pics. Forgot with the weather and socializing

So the real point of this is asking experienced tailgaters and campers for favorite electric accessories when staged. I may get a separate power pack that could handle my existing skillet but plugging into the rear standard or 12v would be good. Searching for a sub-500w griddle isn’t easy to find, if one exists.
If you want to run more than 400w you will need to get a power pack. Upside is you could run more than one appliance if it is large enough. You would also have the 400w available for something that size or smaller. You need to make sure whatever you are plugging in has a lower wattage rating than your supply. Power pack is also portable and does not run down your car battery. Not a bad thing to have with some solar back up. Even a big one of those would only run your skillet for an hour or two though. That is probably not the best item to want to use. If it was a 1500w battery (in the power bank) it would be on one hour till it was used up (to make the math easy). I have not looked into portable induction cooktops lately but they typically draw less than a traditional electric skillet.