CA. Weekend Warriors - any advice from anyone to get started with easy off road?

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
Hello everyone. I currently leasing a RAV4 looking to replace. Going all in to purchase a BL+BL Area 51. Before the RAV4 I was driving a Silver '04 Forester XT automatic, and started to become very unreliable for my everyday driving.

I have been looking at easy 4x4 trails in southern Ca. I mostly mountain bike, but been really curious on how to get started to 4x. Any advice from anyone to get started? For sure I'm going to look for easy local 4x trails, no extra credit rock climbing. I plan to get a good deflater/inflator, shovel, recovery boards, maybe a tow strap.

Thanks guys
Sponsored

North7

Badlands
First Name
North7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Hello everyone. I currently leasing a RAV4 looking to replace. Going all in to purchase a BL+BL Area 51. Before the RAV4 I was driving a Silver '04 Forester XT automatic, and started to become very unreliable for my everyday driving.

I have been looking at easy 4x4 trails in southern Ca. I mostly mountain bike, but been really curious on how to get started to 4x. Any advice from anyone to get started? For sure I'm going to look for easy local 4x trails, no extra credit rock climbing. I plan to get a good deflater/inflator, shovel, recovery boards, maybe a tow strap.

Thanks guys
Heres one of several websites to find some trails.

https://www.alltrails.com/

JCat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Sounds like you’re off to a good start. The listed website is a good one. Best way, though, is to hook up with a group of good folks who have local experience. The caveat here, though, is there are endless skill levels out there, and endless propensities to do it right or horribly wrong. So be cautious who you trust to lead you into the wild, and avoid big ego groups who want to “go big or go home.” If their vehicles are more aggressively equipped than yours, that group likely will hit trails thst are outside your experience or vehicle capability. Think conservative, then build your experience from there. Damage is expensive.
What area(s) of So CA are you looking to explore?

North7

Badlands
First Name
North7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Sounds like you’re off to a good start. The listed website is a good one. Best way, though, is to hook up with a group of good folks who have local experience. The caveat here, though, is there are endless skill levels out there, and endless propensities to do it right or horribly wrong. So be cautious who you trust to lead you into the wild, and avoid big ego groups who want to “go big or go home.” If their vehicles are more aggressively equipped than yours, that group likely will hit trails thst are outside your experience or vehicle capability. Think conservative, then build your experience from there. Damage is expensive.
What area(s) of So CA are you looking to explore?
405 to the 105 to the 605 to the 5 to the 91 to the 57 to the 10 to the 15 and onto the desert, a bigger challenge than most drivers can handle, so after years of living in SoCal, I keep driving and moved to Texas. :crackup:

(but overall, your advice is great for any location, thanks)

Last edited:

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
Try up in California City if you like the desert. Johanasberg, randsburg, off the 14 frwy you have dove springs, Kennedy meadows, onyx , panamint springs etc lots to choose from. Close by I would go to Gorman ORV in Gorman, CA to get a taste of dirt. I rode dirt bikes before so I know some of the trails and remember the one I biffed on…
Sponsored