Burning smell coming into the passenger compartment

meckems

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Anyone experiencing a burning smell with their new bronco? My wife and I notice a strong burning smell mostly after coming off the interstate. I have checked the engine compartment and I haven't seen anything unusual. I have an FE with around 350 miles on it. I haven't been running it hard, but we do cruise around 70mph on the interstate. It almost smells like burning paper and it is just weird. No smoke that we have seen and it drives great.
Sponsored

wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
I had a slight smell first time the heated steering wheel on my OB was used. After the first time, it went away and is all good now.

OP
OP

meckems

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have used the heated seats and steering wheel, but that does not seem to be it. It is just weird that it happens after and ride on the interstate.

OP
OP

meckems

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Chances are it's stuff burning off of the exhaust. Mine did this for the first week or so, but only when it got nice and hot.

I'm at 500 miles now and it's gone.
That could be it since it doesn't happen when we are driving through the city. I guess I will wait and see. Thanks for the reply.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Anyone experiencing a burning smell with their new bronco? My wife and I notice a strong burning smell mostly after coming off the interstate. I have checked the engine compartment and I haven't seen anything unusual. I have an FE with around 350 miles on it. I haven't been running it hard, but we do cruise around 70mph on the interstate. It almost smells like burning paper and it is just weird. No smoke that we have seen and it drives great.
Sometime new cars have some lubricant on the engine that burns off. I've smelled that before test driving brand new cars on the lot.

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
If it is anything like the F150s I have seen - Ford put a sticker on EVERYTHING for assembly and tracking. There will be stickers on the exhaust pipe, etc - and all that stuff will get hot and eventually burn off. I smelled it once in mine as well after a highway trip but haven't smelled it since.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
I noticed something similar a couple times in my first week plus. 400 plus uneventful miles, so probably something burning off from the factory.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Mine's already gone.

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I just pulled mine off the lot on Wednesday with only a few miles on it. I didn't smell anything that day and I rode around for awhile. Yesterday I did a lot of errands and smelled some burning each time I got out of the car. I did read a few things on this that stickers and chemical sprays will burn off and typically gone after a few hundred miles?

Reactions: Jrl

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I just pulled mine off the lot on Wednesday with only a few miles on it. I didn't smell anything that day and I rode around for awhile. Yesterday I did a lot of errands and smelled some burning each time I got out of the car. I did read a few things on this that stickers and chemical sprays will burn off and typically gone after a few hundred miles?
Yeah a lot of smells burn off excess oil and lubricant that got over the parts and manufacturing. It'll go away.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
yup as others have said, lots of oils, stickers, brake pads, entire exhaust, getting hot and cold on and in entire driveline. any new car will smell funky for a bit when its brand new. it will go away. no worries.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Most of my new vehicles have had some form of the "smell of the new burning off".

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
just took the kids for a test drive in a big bend with 24 miles on it. After some neighborhood turns and a mile on the expressway we could smell that sweet fluid/sticker smell from stuff heating up. I could see the decal on the muffler as it turned a golden brown, I'm sure it's normal for the first few weeks.
Sponsored