psuchenautes

Badlands
First Name
Karthik Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Recently did some overland style builds on my 2022 bronco sport badlands trim with stock wheels and no lift.

1. Free spirit odyssey hard shell roof top tent (134 lbs) over Thule evo cross bar.

2. Wilco hitchgate solo high clearance spare tire carrier on a Curt aftermarket 2” hitch receiver.

Soon planning to do the HRG 1.5” lift and upgrade to 245/65s

Ford Bronco Sport BS Badlands with Hardshell RTT & Hitchgate Solo Tire Carrier E642E696-A6BE-45DE-B50C-A4CF380F5206

Ford Bronco Sport BS Badlands with Hardshell RTT & Hitchgate Solo Tire Carrier BEB86678-9528-4A98-9C60-5F78AB242483
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Can you open the rear glass without swinging the tire out of the way? I know you have to swing it to get the full hatch to open.

I'm guessing if you have a rear view camera, the tire blocks that almost entirely.

Reactions: Jrl
OP
OP

psuchenautes

Badlands
First Name
Karthik Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Can you open the rear glass without swinging the tire out of the way? I know you have to swing it to get the full hatch to open.

I'm guessing if you have a rear view camera, the tire blocks that almost entirely.
Yes I can open the rear glass without having to swing the tire away.

The rear view camera does get mostly blocked. You can change the mode on your dashboard screen to get a slightly wide angle view of the rear view camera but the tire sits right in the middle.

Bdud

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Looks cool but for me it's annoying to have to move my bike rack out of the way to get into the hatch. I couldn't imagine having to do if for something that doesn't have a functional need.

Unless you get more trunk storage out of the deal.

OP
OP

psuchenautes

Badlands
First Name
Karthik Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Looks cool but for me it's annoying to have to move my bike rack out of the way to get into the hatch. I couldn't imagine having to do if for something that doesn't have a functional need.

Unless you get more trunk storage out of the deal.
True! But I go t a huge boost in the trunk space. All my overlanding gears go undernead that cargo floor to where the spare tire was. I will post a picture of the trunk later today. You will see what I mean!

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Nice rig, looks great! I see you're in AZ, I hope to get out there in a few months, want to pick up a RTT from Desert Armor in Glendale.

OP
OP

psuchenautes

Badlands
First Name
Karthik Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Nice rig, looks great! I see you're in AZ, I hope to get out there in a few months, want to pick up a RTT from Desert Armor in Glendale.
That's great! Desert Armor RTT was my initial pick. But a friend of mine convinced me to go the free spirit odyssey :p

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Looks nice. I would suggest adding the mud flaps. Maybe do it when you do the lift.

cgparsons1983

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I like the look of the hitchgate. I love the front styling of the Bronco sport, but the rear leave something to be desired. I think what you've done really helps improve the look. I was thinking about adding a subwoofer and I don't want a box taking up trunk space so the hitchgate might be a good way to go and I can put the sub box where the tire goes.

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I like the look of the hitchgate. I love the front styling of the Bronco sport, but the rear leave something to be desired. I think what you've done really helps improve the look. I was thinking about adding a subwoofer and I don't want a box taking up trunk space so the hitchgate might be a good way to go and I can put the sub box where the tire goes.
Could also get one of those spare tire subwoofers like the JBL BassPro Hub - think some folks on here have installed them successfully.

OP
OP

psuchenautes

Badlands
First Name
Karthik Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Here is a picture of my trunk with all the junk in place of the spare tire!

After removing the scissor jack from the center and just placing it in the corner, I am able to store the following in this space:
  1. 33” x 19” telescopic ladder for the RTT
  2. 5 gal jerry water can
  3. 2pk Coleman propane fuel tank
  4. portable toilet :p
  5. foldable shovel and a bunch of other small items.

Ford Bronco Sport BS Badlands with Hardshell RTT & Hitchgate Solo Tire Carrier 0E0CC274-0160-41AF-A44B-CD8C3CA8AC90

Ford Bronco Sport BS Badlands with Hardshell RTT & Hitchgate Solo Tire Carrier 526DE305-1258-4EEA-A2EA-48C8CE6501E2

cgparsons1983

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Could also get one of those spare tire subwoofers like the JBL BassPro Hub - think some folks on here have installed them successfully.
Thought about that but haven't done the research, I've heard they aren't that powerful generally but really have no idea.

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Recently did some overland style builds on my 2022 bronco sport badlands trim with stock wheels and no lift.

1. Free spirit odyssey hard shell roof top tent (134 lbs) over Thule evo cross bar.

2. Wilco hitchgate solo high clearance spare tire carrier on a Curt aftermarket 2” hitch receiver.

Soon planning to do the HRG 1.5” lift and upgrade to 245/65s

Ford Bronco Sport BS Badlands with Hardshell RTT & Hitchgate Solo Tire Carrier E642E696-A6BE-45DE-B50C-A4CF380F5206

Ford Bronco Sport BS Badlands with Hardshell RTT & Hitchgate Solo Tire Carrier BEB86678-9528-4A98-9C60-5F78AB242483
Love the swing away🙂. Wilco is legit.

Ford Bronco Sport BS Badlands with Hardshell RTT & Hitchgate Solo Tire Carrier Screenshot_20220406-091956_Instagram~3
Ford Bronco Sport BS Badlands with Hardshell RTT & Hitchgate Solo Tire Carrier 20220406_101739

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Here is a picture of my trunk with all the junk in place of the spare tire!

After removing the scissor jack from the center and just placing it in the corner, I am able to store the following in this space:
  1. 33” x 19” telescopic ladder for the RTT
  2. 5 gal jerry water can
  3. 2pk Coleman propane fuel tank
  4. portable toilet :p
  5. foldable shovel and a bunch of other small items.

Ford Bronco Sport BS Badlands with Hardshell RTT & Hitchgate Solo Tire Carrier 0E0CC274-0160-41AF-A44B-CD8C3CA8AC90

Ford Bronco Sport BS Badlands with Hardshell RTT & Hitchgate Solo Tire Carrier 526DE305-1258-4EEA-A2EA-48C8CE6501E2
I’m considering the rear tire carrier myself. The rear cargo storage on the Bronco Sport is limited, but adding the spare tire ares increases cargo space by at least a third.
Sponsored