BroncoSports with a roof basket or other roof accessory, what’s your mpg?

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I have about 1,700mi on the car now and have a roof basket and I’m not getting the mpg I thought I would, not even close. Im getting like 18mpg in the city.
Sponsored

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
24.6 mpg.....normal mode...80+ on the highways and normal local stop and go around town and I only use premium

Ford Bronco Sport BroncoSports with a roof basket or other roof accessory, what’s your mpg? 20220410_200034

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I have about 1,700mi on the car now and have a roof basket and I’m not getting the mpg I thought I would, not even close. Im getting like 18mpg in the city.
I wouldn’t think the basket would make much difference in the city unless your are doing 80 down the 5!

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I’m getting around 25 but no basket. Just a heavy right foot.

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
24.6 mpg.....normal mode...80+ on the highways and normal local stop and go around town and I only use premium

Ford Bronco Sport BroncoSports with a roof basket or other roof accessory, what’s your mpg? 20220410_200034
Hmmm weird. I drive normally for the area. I'm not exactly Miss Daisy out for a Sunday Drive but my days of driving like a pissed off teenager are over with as well. Hopefully the mpg will improve as I get more miles on it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I agree with Steve that roof-mounted components shouldn't have that much effect on city fuel economy. I also agree that 18 mpg seems quite low. Do you take frequent short trips on a cold engine?

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I agree with Steve that roof-mounted components shouldn't have that much effect on city fuel economy. I also agree that 18 mpg seems quite low. Do you take frequent short trips on a cold engine?
That does summarize my driving quite well. With WFH I might take short trips to the store or to get food. Or if I do go somewhere it’s very intentional and the car will likely be driving over several if not more consecutive hours

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That does summarize my driving quite well. With WFH I might take short trips to the store or to get food. Or if I do go somewhere it’s very intentional and the car will likely be driving over several if not more consecutive hours
EcoBoost engines (in my experience as an owner for the past 7+ years) run super rich until the engine warms up, and mileage suffers greatly. With that in mind, I'm not so sure I would consider your mileage too out of line. San Diego isn't particularly cold, per se, but you do get some chilly weather over the winter months. Before you get too concerned consider hand measuring fuel economy over a long road trip. That should give you a much better idea of what's happening.

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
EcoBoost engines (in my experience as an owner for the past 7+ years) run super rich until the engine warms up, and mileage suffers greatly. With that in mind, I'm not so sure I would consider your mileage too out of line. San Diego isn't particularly cold, per se, but you do get some chilly weather over the winter months. Before you get too concerned consider hand measuring fuel economy over a long road trip. That should give you a much better idea of what's happening.
And I figured out what the problem was.

God has gifted me a sense of urgency and intention in life and apparently that’s expressed with my right foot.

I did a 3hr drive today in eco mode and I got 22.6mpg so problem resolved I guess. Also mpg tanks at 80mph and that’s my usual freeway speed. And additionally it does seem like I do in fact drive like a pissed off teenager in the city.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
And I figured out what the problem was.

God has gifted me a sense of urgency and intention in life and apparently that’s expressed with my right foot.

I did a 3hr drive today in eco mode and I got 22.6mpg so problem resolved I guess. Also mpg tanks at 80mph and that’s my usual freeway speed. And additionally it does seem like I do in fact drive like a pissed off teenager in the city.
That’s not bad, but the vehicle is capable of much better if you’re willing to lighten your foot a bit. I routinely get 35+mpg on my 200 mile highway trips.

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
A 25% decrease accounts nicely for my low mpg.
Consumer Reports did a similar test: https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-economy-efficiency/how-rooftop-carriers-affect-fuel-economy/

Adding stuff to the outside of your vehicle, especially if it isn’t needed at that moment, is always going to cost you in terms of drag and therefore MPG. Despite how boxy it looks, Ford engineers spent a lot of time ensuring the BS was fairly aerodynamic (as far as small SUV’s go).

ScottyD

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My overall MPG went down about a half gallon.
Sponsored