Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I think most posts are way off bae here. I think the Only vehicle that is a good comparison to the BS Is the Range Rover at a starting price of 40k then up to the model 90 at 80k.
Have any of you all even looked at the RR? It looks very much like the BS.
I would venture to say as far as styling, Exterior and Interior design and space Ford Pretty much copied the proven design of the Range Rover.
Jeep is nothing but a name plate stuck on a Dodge with Fiat guts.
The true jeep 4x4 may be very capable and all that but the cherokee, renegade, toyotas, subarus are all to me very dated.
Do a compare to the Range Rover and get back to us.......
Sponsored

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The CX40 does look nice but WHY this gimmicky section / upward belt line near the C-Pillar? If this weird triangle area wasn't there it would look a LOT nicer, IMO

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport vs Jeep Compass Trailhawk -- MotorTrend Comparison Review 1613680264171

WISH IT WAS LIKE THIS (Excuse the bad drawing)

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport vs Jeep Compass Trailhawk -- MotorTrend Comparison Review 1613680494709
Because that rear door line has to meet that accent line that would border the black roof on other trims. I completely agree your revised window shape by itself looks (and would function) better, but I see it as their design solution where the rear window, roof line, and rear quarter meet. (You would otherwise have a "floating" section of body-color rear quarter connecting to nothing on trims with the contrasting black roof.)

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My issue with the Subarus was I had a Crosstrek and the transmission overheated on me a number of times climbing a mountain out here in the Sierras. That event is what got me looking at alternatives. To be honest there's not a lot of options for a compact offroad cub anymore. The only ones I that ended up checking enough boxes for me was the Sport and the Cherokee. The Renegade and Compass didn't have enough power.

Subaru is coming out with Wilderness editions of their vehicles this year. Well see how they end up against the BS and Cherokee. No word yet on what upgrades they'll be getting.

I took my Cherokee up that same trail and it did it without issue. There was one obstacle that the Crosstrek had a ton of problems with and the Cherokee didn't even notice it was there. So far I'm happy with the purchase. I suspect all the BS edition could climb that trail ok.

Ask me again after a few years and it starts having transmission issues...lol
The Cherokee Trailhawk is an excellent vehicle, and the "smarter" choice (and I think just a bit more capable off-road) but, the greater interior room is distributed differently, the power is different, and it's just not different enough, inside or out (though the interior seems a step or 2 up in quality), in appearance from a typical 'mini-minivan' crossover for me. Pricing is close enough when you load up either vehicle. If it looked like the G2, or the G1 Cherokee (a mini Wagoneer, wow!), I'm in (maybe)!

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I feel like this has ALWAYS been a Ford annoyance. 1997 Tbird, 2010 Escape... VERY short seats... IDK why the heck. It seems they never get updated with time or something.

I am trying REALLY HARD not to be tempted by the Cherokee TrailHawk right now.... one thing that helps me is that I am not planning to purchase until the 2022 B/S model year anyway...
If the Cherokee had a rear flip up glass, and a bit more squarer appearance, the fight to resist it would be much harder. The B/S wins (in my eyes) in the looks dept, clearly.
All seats without any added bolster are too short for me, if I'm looking for that support. I adjust the seat height and angle so that doesn't matter, or I don't notice it. ON THE BS, the front-to-rear seat angle is not adjustable!
>:-(
So, I have to go with added height to get what I want -- luckily there's plenty of headroom, but that does change the view out the front a bit.

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It's puzzling that MT is comparing the Jeep Compass TH to the BS BL. It's really the Cherokee TH that would be cross shopped to the BL. The real world pricing of Cherokee to BS is very close within $1k depending on incentives and offers, and the engines are very similar in hp & torque numbers, unlike the Compass. Plus the Cherokee TH low range and rear locker are additional reasons to compare to the BL. I didn't even look at the Compass when I went to the Jeep dealer, straight to the Cherokee V6.
I'm also convinced the Cherokee TH v. BL+BL is the "correct" comparison. Interior, room, the rear locker and low range all edge out the Sport on paper, probably on the trail, but not if it's not what you want to own and drive. I like the G2, or even G1 Cherokee! The current model is overdue for an update, great if they'd ruggedize it like the BS, like they tried maybe with the Commander or Liberty (appearance-wise, anyway). Not everybody wants or needs a Wrangler/WU.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Not here nor there but interesting I think- My friend is replacing his 2000 Explorer and decided to compare the BS and 2000 Explorer. Despite the Explorers extra 18" of overall length, and 8 inches or so of wheelbase, the BS outmatches it in every interior metric except max cargo with seats down and rear shoulder room. Kinda an indication in how well the newer designed vehicles manage interior space.
I've always thought (or noticed) that about typical larger SUVs -- bloated inside and out while offering only about the same or sometimes less interior room/capacities. They are more plush, while you can easily see the roof, pillars, door panels, etc. etc. are all designed to maximize use of space in the smaller vehicle. Much of the same applies to what I've considered the king of family practicality -- the minivan! Ridiculously impractical to replace this purpose-made vehicle with a big SUV. Practical and relatively efficient for their intended purpose, they were a brilliant invention, great family haulers, and don't deserve the hate.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
6’7” here and agree completely.
The headroom in the BS is more than that belied by that measurement. My convertible has 37.5", at 6'3" I screw that seat down to the floor and still my head rubs the headliner, at times. I could adjust the seat up, down, up all I wanted in the BS still with plenty of headroom to spare. I agree there is something about the floor pan and the footwell that is creating more usable room.

Zooke

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Not attempting to be argumentative but this claim doesn't sound right. Maybe you meant "I find GRAND Cherokee shoppers are usually shopping and comparing the Explorer more so than they would the Bronco Sport based on interior capacity and overall size"? That would make a little more sense due to them being in the same class. The Explorer has an option for third-row seating, more cargo space, more engine HP, etc. than the Cherokee so they really don't compare well.

I do think people cross-shop the Cherokee with the BS. The BS whips the Cherokee in total cargo volume with rear seats up (32.5 cu. feet BS vs. 25.8 Cherokee) AND down (65.2 BS vs. 54.7 Cherokee). With those numbers, I think the BS makes the best use of its space even though it's a shorter vehicle overall.

With that being said I do think there are similarities and pros-cons with both, hence why I think people do cross-shop these two, because I did. For starters, front seating is better in the BS for taller people due to more headroom. Seating in the back felt the same for both. Neither felt spacious, but not overly cramped, either. The Cherokee has better towing and a more powerful V6 engine option, but the BS has better off-road chops and ground clearance with its base models vs. standard Cherokee 4x4s (Latitude and Lat Plus), as well as better fuel economy. The "cool-factor" and looks of the BS are far superior to the Cherokee, IMO. Plus, there are the well-known Jeep reliability issues. I've owned three Fords and two Jeeps. Guess which ones I've had trouble with?

Also, notice how I never mentioned the Compass in this post. I think comparing the Compass (or the Renegade for that matter) to the BS is a slap in the face to the BS. However, this is just my opinion :wink:
I'm trading in my Renegade Trailhawk in the next few days for a Big Bend. Could not be more excited.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
Guess you all are too young to remember the dash mounted push button transmission shifts on Chrysler/Plymouth’s in the 60’s.
OMG! My dad had a Dodge with dash mounted button shifters.

ACGilbert

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge ST
At one point I was very mildly interested in the renegade and decided to drive one. That 2.4L was one (of quite a few) of the reasons I passed. As everyone knows , 4 cyls typically don't come off as harmonically pleasing and that one basically takes all of that and amplifies it. Besides being a buzzy mess, it reminded me of a 4 cyl from the 80's where you constantly have your foot planted into it. Even with all the fancy nomenclature like "Tigershark" and "Multiair" and the fact that it is a relatively new engine- it was double disappointing.
I like your profile photo! My first ride (used) was a '57 Merc. currently have a BL on order since the last week of November. Current build date is the last week of March.

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I like your profile photo! My first ride (used) was a '57 Merc. currently have a BL on order since the last week of November. Current build date is the last week of March.
Thanks! They are awesome cars and def one of my favorites. My BL was ordered 10/26 and has a build date of 3/8. Hope you enjoy your new BS.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
NOW, re: Cherokee Trailhawk:
It offers a choice of 2 engines:
an N/A V6 and a I-4 turbo: and it looks like the I-4 turbo is optional and one must pay extra to get it.
Has anyone here driven a Cherokee TRAILHAWK (i think it is the most direct trim to compete with a BL) with each engine and compared the two? Which one did you like better?
And (this might be rare) has anyone driven all THREE? BS with the 2L, TH with an I-4 AND a TH with the V6?

If so, how does each engine compare to the B/S 2L? (I know the spec's on paper, but how do they translate to real world driving feel/performance?)
I've driven all three, the ford transmission shifts smoother than the Cherokee in auto, but sport mode in both felt pretty good.. The V6 in the Cherokee is plenty powerful enough, but I'm coming from a long history of slow cars. Last time I was in a vehicle with a powerful engine was back in 2002, so my perspective is skewed, in case you're a performance person. I don't recommend the Jeep turbo engines, you can't even get them on the Trailhawks in the USA this year.

I haven't driven a Sport off road yet so I can't compare them in that circumstance. The Badlands 2.0 engine will probably give it more capability in high gearing than the Cherokee V6.

Last edited:

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
My 2017 Lincoln that I just traded in for my first edition bronco has push button on the dash. And I also had a dodge back in your dads time that had the same.
I had to find it. 1964 Dodge Polara. I was 6. The weird snapshots of memory. I remember the buttons and the headlights. And I grew up near Pittsburgh.
Sponsored