Bamster00

Badlands
First Name
Bam Bam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
What are some ways to keep your BS secure from theft? Cost-conscious ideas? E.g. Faraday bags for the Key FOB, low monthly cost trackers, etc.
Sponsored

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
What theft do you want to stop? Vehicle, or contents? I do something that's become very uncommon in America. I use a garage. It's old fashioned, but no one cases my cars at night. Unless someone has a tow truck or an actual FOB, how will they steal the car? I can't imagine these are as simple to hotwire as a 1962 Galaxie. If you want to deal with the inconvenience, there's a bunch of space under the hood to put a battery shutoff switch right there by the firewall. Seems more inconvenient to you than a thief.

If you're out and about almost nothing will stop content theft. If someone wants to smash and grab, they will. You can try to park smart or park in a travelled area, but people on the street aren't going to defend your ride. Don't leave things visible, or don't leave things in the car. There are a lot of hidden spaces- console, spare tire, seatbacks, underseat, glove box. Hide stuff.

The FordPass app already tells the vehicle location, and it's scary accurate. It shows the dot on the map within 5' of where it physically is. I wouldn't really pay for the service, but I certainly wouldn't pay a 3rd party to track it either.

OP
OP

Bamster00

Badlands
First Name
Bam Bam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
What theft do you want to stop? Vehicle, or contents? I do something that's become very uncommon in America. I use a garage. It's old fashioned, but no one cases my cars at night. Unless someone has a tow truck or an actual FOB, how will they steal the car? I can't imagine these are as simple to hotwire as a 1962 Galaxie. If you want to deal with the inconvenience, there's a bunch of space under the hood to put a battery shutoff switch right there by the firewall. Seems more inconvenient to you than a thief.

If you're out and about almost nothing will stop content theft. If someone wants to smash and grab, they will. You can try to park smart or park in a travelled area, but people on the street aren't going to defend your ride. Don't leave things visible, or don't leave things in the car. There are a lot of hidden spaces- console, spare tire, seatbacks, underseat, glove box. Hide stuff.

The FordPass app already tells the vehicle location, and it's scary accurate. It shows the dot on the map within 5' of where it physically is. I wouldn't really pay for the service, but I certainly wouldn't pay a 3rd party to track it either.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to checking out the Fordpass and may investigate that shutoff idea, my BL will be here in a couple of weeks. I'm not worried so much about smash and grab even though it happens a lot where I live, because I use a home garage already and I'm also careful about what's left in view. I'm more worried that this is a popular car that thieves might want when I'm out and about and have to park it. I understand that theft thru the FOB signal is one way to steal a car, although i don't know much about it yet. Here is one article on it. https://www.usffcu.com/blog?blog_id=293

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I keep both my fobs in a small Faraday box when at home. Not that there is a high risk of being scanned but it is a handy spot to consistently place my pocket contents. The box came with 2 small pouches you can use for an individual fob. If I ever need to leave my fob in my vehicle, I'll place it in the pouch and lock it in the center ConsoleVault. The I can re-enter with the app or the keypad. I also use an RFID blocking wallet on the daily.

This is probably all for nothing but a close family member did have their debit card scanned - probably while in use. But why risk it? For me, it is cheap peace of mind.

OP
OP

Bamster00

Badlands
First Name
Bam Bam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
I keep both my fobs in a small Faraday box when at home. Not that there is a high risk of being scanned but it is a handy spot to consistently place my pocket contents. The box came with 2 small pouches you can use for an individual fob. If I ever need to leave my fob in my vehicle, I'll place it in the pouch and lock it in the center ConsoleVault. The I can re-enter with the app or the keypad. I also use an RFID blocking wallet on the daily.

This is probably all for nothing but a close family member did have their debit card scanned - probably while in use. But why risk it? For me, it is cheap peace of mind.
:) Agree, I have a pouch on order, I hope to use the app for this as well. Good info, Thanks.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I'm more worried that this is a popular car that thieves might want when I'm out and about and have to park it. I understand that theft thru the FOB signal is one way to steal a car, although i don't know much about it yet. Here is one article on it. https://www.usffcu.com/blog?blog_id=293
Well, that explains more. I worry about FOB skimming slightly less than I worry about a gang of international mercenaries from Austria taking over my home. Lock it with the pillar keypad and there's no FOB signal to skim. Almost every car has these keyless entry systems and keyless pushbutton starts. Did it actually lead to more car theft, or is it urban legend? I worry more about getting keyed in a lot.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Security Ideas? 1630009357377

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My Bronco came with 7 etched windows and a https://dfencegps.com/ dfence security system from the dealer as stolen cars are pretty common around here. They end up in Mexico evidently.

I also keep my fobs in a Faraday cage pouch when I'm not using the vehicle.
Sponsored