Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Good news is the driver is alive. Just because Mitch Creel did Black Bear in a BS, don't assume you can. The badge looks to be an Outer Banks. It is the gray vehicle in the photos, not easy to immediately recognize as a BS.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport rolls off Black Bear Pass in CO, injuring driver and dog 1632701658691-jpe

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport rolls off Black Bear Pass in CO, injuring driver and dog 1632701676309-jpe

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport rolls off Black Bear Pass in CO, injuring driver and dog 1632701691576-jpe

News report / info:

*Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Rd open since 10am Sunday after being closed to vehicle traffic at 745am due to vehicle rollover. The pass re-opened after the vehicle was cleared. Thank you for your patience. See below for details.

230pm Deputies have learned that the women were driving up Bridal Veil Road and entered the one-way Black Bear Pass going the wrong way. The passenger told Deputies they did not see the sign indicating the beginning of the one way pass. After a couple of switchbacks they decided it was best to turn around. The passenger then stepped of the vehicle to help the driver navigate, and while backing up, two of the wheels went high enough on the embankment to cause the vehicle to begin to roll. The 2021 Ford Bronco rolled off the cliff an estimated 400 feet, ejecting the driver, the dog, and the vehicle's engine before coming to a stop.

1045am Dog update: 1 year-old golden doodle "Chewy" treated for minor injuries, doing well.
10am According to initial reports, driver is an out of state 23 year-old female who was ejected and suffered serious injuries. Her passenger was out of the vehicle when rollover occurred and not injured, and a dog was ejected and being treated at a local vet. Fortunately, no hikers or drivers of other vehicles were killed or injured by this falling car or associated debris.

Sheriff Masters wishes to thank TFPD, Telluride Marshal’s Deputies, and CSP for their efficient response and care and extends his best wishes to the driver for a good recovery from her serious injuries. Sheriff Masters also wants to remind everyone, “Black Bear Pass is an extremely dangerous road and should only be driven by experienced off-road drivers in appropriate off-road vehicles. Legally, a 16 year-old who got his driver’s license a few hours prior, may attempt to drive the pass in his grandmother’s 1980’s sedan. That doesn’t mean it’s safe to do so."

940am Deputies and wrecker on scene; estimated time for road and pass to be re-open is by 1030am.

830am Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Rd are closed due to vehicle rollover. Will reopen after wrecker removes vehicle. Unknown ETA.

Driver treated on scene by Telluride Fire Protection District medics and transported to Telluride Regional Medical Center for further care.

More info added - from Sheriff's office:

230pm Deputies have learned that the women were driving up Bridal Veil Road and entered the one-way Black Bear Pass going the wrong way. The passenger told Deputies they did not see the sign indicating the beginning of the one way pass. After a couple of switchbacks they decided it was best to turn around. The passenger then stepped of the vehicle to help the driver navigate, and while backing up, two of the wheels went high enough on the embankment to cause the vehicle to begin to roll. The 2021 Ford Bronco rolled off the cliff an estimated 400 feet, ejecting the driver, the dog, and the vehicle's engine before coming to a stop.
1045am Dog update: 1 year-old golden doodle "Chewy" treated for minor injuries, doing well.
10am According to initial reports, driver is an out of state 23 year-old female who was ejected and suffered serious injuries. Her passenger was out of the vehicle when rollover occurred and not injured, and a dog was ejected and being treated at a local vet. Fortunately, no hikers or drivers of other vehicles were killed or injured by this falling car or associated debris.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
OMG........

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I looked very closely at the badge and I think it is a Big Bend.
Yes looks like a Big Bend badge. Hope they are all ok. I'm waiting on my big Bronco, and maybe think of doing Black Bear. But not once did I even consider doing that in my BS BB.

Has Black Bear been done in a cross-over?

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2021 Ranger Tremor
That looks awful! I hope they are alright. Definitely a Big Bend badge… what a shame ?

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It took me a while to see the Big Bend badge because I was overly focused on the random lotion bottle in the foreground.

It looks like a pretty OK gravel roadway and that switchback is no match for the turn radius on a BS. How could you get in trouble unless you go off-trail and try to go over a big rock or climb up the hillside?

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Someone screen shot I can’t view because I don’t have fb.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
It took me a while to see the Big Bend badge because I was overly focused on the random lotion bottle in the foreground.

It looks like a pretty OK gravel roadway and that switchback is no match for the turn radius on a BS. How could you get in trouble unless you go off-trail and try to go over a big rock or climb up the hillside?
I'm thinking the BS just doesn't have the articulation to do this trail, just my opinion. Driver experience and a spotter helps.

OP
OP
Bronclahoma

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Looks like he ran off the trail on two switchbacks above .. Note the debris in the trail. But how the hell do you run off a trail like that? Had he gone off that dropoff at the rear of the vehicle at the end, he wouldn't have survived. How do you explain this to your insurance company? :)

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Looks like he ran off the trail on two switchbacks above .. Note the debris in the trail. But how the hell do you run off a trail like that? Had he gone off that dropoff at the rear of the vehicle at the end, he wouldn't have survived.
Edibles

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Looks like he ran off the trail on two switchbacks above .. Note the debris in the trail. But how the hell do you run off a trail like that? Had he gone off that dropoff at the rear of the vehicle at the end, he wouldn't have survived. How do you explain this to your insurance company? :)
That's what I speculated above. Possibly made a mistake with the gas and fishtailed the rear off the side, or went to show off and hit a big rock that jarred them sideways or up the hillside and over.

Better that than the lotion bottle :shock:
Sponsored