Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Description
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2020-2021 Edge, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus and Ford Escape and 2021 Lincoln Corsair and Ford Bronco Sport vehicles. An inadequate amount of lubricant in the rear drive unit may cause seizure of the rear drive axle.
Recall Date
01/15/2021
Remedy
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will check the rear drive unit lubricant level. Axles found to have lubricant at the minimum level will be filled to the full level. Axles found to be below the minimum lubricant fill level will be replaced, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 1, 2021. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 21S02.
Consequence
In the rear drive unit seizes, there may be a loss of drive and/or a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.
Potential Units Affected
Sponsored

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Only 147 possible units affected.

OP
OP
Huntyeraws

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Only 147 possible units affected.
That impacted several different product lines. I wonder if they come pre-filled from a supplier for final assembly?

OP
OP
Huntyeraws

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
More likely a preset amount on a pull down hose that they just stick in and pull a trigger till it stops. Like at jiffy lube.
The dial got turned and the guy does not read or speaka ablo engless.
I guess our new toy is forgein assembled... I miss American made.
It is absolutely amazing that after well over a century of automobile manufacturing history in the USA, there has never been one American born auto worker that has ever made a mistake while working in a automobile factory that has resulted in a vehicle with an escaping quality defect or a factory recall. :crackup:

I am just glad that Ford quickly identified manufacturing process quality escapes, quickly accepted blame and then tries to remedy the situation. Much butter than ignoring an issue like some (if not all) manufacturers have done in the past, and hope that a quality issue/failure occurs sometime past the initial factory warranty period.

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Is this something one could check themselves -- look for the level relative to the fill/level hole/plug? 5 models over < 2 years of production, a tiny fraction of them Bronco Sports, and a tiny fraction affected overall already -- what are the chances? Of course I wouldn't take the chances, I'd get it checked out, but still -- not especially alarming but great it's been acknowledged and taken care of quickly.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Not concerned but glad I'm under warranty.
Sponsored