Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Ford to pause Bronco Sport output at Mexico plant amid supply shortages, report says
Several plants in Mexico have been idled due to the global microchip shortage
Reuters

April 29, 2021

MEXICO CITY -- Ford Motor Co.'s plant in the northern Mexican city of Hermosillo, which makes the hot-selling Bronco Sport crossover, will pause production from May 3 to May 17 due to supply shortages, three people familiar with the matter told Reuters on Wednesday.

Details of the Ford stoppage were revealed in an internal advisory seen by Reuters that was shared among union members at the plant, and confirmed by two industry sources in the state of Sonora, where Hermosillo lies. The union advisory said workers will get 75 percent of their pay during the stoppage.

Ford sold 23,356 Bronco Sports in the U.S. during the first quarter.

Mexico's auto industry has been hit by global shortages of chips, leading to temporary stoppages elsewhere too.

Ford did not reply immediately to a request for comment.
Sponsored

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Well....time will tell if my order gets another delay or if this was built in already. My build was first set for week of May 10th, then May 17th, now the June 7th. UGH

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Does anyone know what the story is on the chips? I heard the supply of chips is down because of all of the computers/tablets being purchased due to the home schooling. I've also heard that this is BS because the chips used for computers and cars and other devices are completely different. Is it because people are still not working in South Korea and Japan where many of these chips are produced? You would think the demand for computers and such would be down enough to almost nothing where the manufacturing of chips could be catching up.
Or is this a symptom of the Great Reset and the plan is to minimize the manufacturing of products in general?

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Does anyone know what the story is on the chips? I heard the supply of chips is down because of all of the computers/tablets being purchased due to the home schooling. I've also heard that this is BS because the chips used for computers and cars and other devices are completely different. Is it because people are still not working in South Korea and Japan where many of these chips are produced? You would think the demand for computers and such would be down enough to almost nothing where the manufacturing of chips could be catching up.
Or is this a symptom of the Great Reset and the plan is to minimize the manufacturing of products in general?
The reason is, when COVID-19 hit in early 2020, many of the chip manufacturing plants (not in North America) were forced to shut down. Then, when COVID-19 cases spiked in North America, many of the Auto Manufacturers shut down their plants for months! Now, going back to the chip manufacturers, they started to open up but the demand for Auto-grade chips was not there, so they shifted their production from Auto chips to consumer electronic chips (computers, smartphones, tablets, big screen tv's etc.) again because of all the people around the world either working from home, unemployed etc. When the Auto plants started back up, that's when the s**t hit the fan as far as scarcity of Auto chip availability, hence we find ourselves in the current situation with news of the shutdown at the Mexico Plant. I'm sure there will be "many" more announcements to come from "every" auto brand as this problem will continue until the majority of the world's population has been fully vaccinated and followed up with any required booster shots.

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
The reason is, when COVID-19 hit in early 2020, many of the chip manufacturing plants (not in North America) were forced to shut down. Then, when COVID-19 cases spiked in North America, many of the Auto Manufacturers shut down their plants for months! Now, going back to the chip manufacturers, they started to open up but the demand for Auto-grade chips was not there, so they shifted their production from Auto chips to consumer electronic chips (computers, smartphones, tablets, big screen tv's etc.) again because of all the people around the world either working from home, unemployed etc. When the Auto plants started back up, that's when the s**t hit the fan as far as scarcity of Auto chip availability, hence we find ourselves in the current situation with news of the shutdown at the Mexico Plant. I'm sure there will be "many" more announcements to come from "every" auto brand as this problem will continue until the majority of the world's population has been fully vaccinated and followed up with any required booster shots.
In addition to COVID issues, there have been natural disasters (drought & earthquakes) and a plant fire in a large fab facility that manufactures automotive related chips. The cleanup, equipment removal and replacement, process verification and accreditation of the new equipment and the entire product line built inside of a cleanroom facility takes a great deal of time. Having experience working with wafer fabrication and defects, it is a pretty complex, delicate, multi-step process where if one step/process is messed up, the entire wafer/wafer lot can be scrapped/rejected and you need to start over. It often takes several weeks from start to finish to build a completed wafer full of chips depending on what and how complex the chip is prior to being fully tested... and that is before it is even packaged/integrated into the specific car part.

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
In interview this week CEO Farley said the fire at a major chip supplier in Japan had impacted them beyond the general chip shortage. Ford expects 1.1M shortfall in car production this year with major impact this quarter and extending third quarter.
Ford CEO expects chip shortage impact to bottom in second quarter (cnbc.com)

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
The issue goes beyond what type of chip manufacturers are producing and its extended beyond just automakers. The whole supply chain is f*d at the moment right down to lack of raw materials needed to produce chips of any kind. Try and go buy a new PS5 or Xbox.

Legin2000

Badlands
First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The kinds of chips that are in short supply are the ones that control displays and are used for memory. These chips are used by all kinds of equipment, including cars.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/01/samsung-says-auto-chip-shortage-could-hit-smartphones/?comments=1

mooredl1

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ford
Well, this is a 14 day stoppage. The latest date I had was June 14 production date. So it will be interesting to see if this translates to 14 day slip in the schedule or more. I have also wondered at what point a vehicle will become a '22'. Maybe it doesn't matter anymore. Since this model really didn't ship until Jan 21. Thanks to all for keeping us informed.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
Well, this is a 14 day stoppage. The latest date I had was June 14 production date. So it will be interesting to see if this translates to 14 day slip in the schedule or more. I have also wondered at what point a vehicle will become a '22'. Maybe it doesn't matter anymore. Since this model really didn't ship until Jan 21. Thanks to all for keeping us informed.
Don't forget to factor in start and stop time. Assembly lines don't exact stop and start easy. The more automated the line usually the harder they are to restart.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
and I question if it's REALLY a big deal. I had a MAY 17...WELL it says they pause until then. Does this mean they start and mine is now one of the reboot orders? Likewise, many were pushed to June production. Was this foresight and early planning to push and avoid stoppage/slack in the production ahead of time? One Ford employee told me they don't give VINs or schedules if parts aren't allocated. That doesn't mean they can't delay getting parts in place...just have to wait and see. Frustrating.
Sponsored