Badlands
First Name
North7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
From our friends at fordauthority.com:

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Overlay Comparison to the Ford Maverick Pickup 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-overlayed-with-2023-Ford-Maverick-prototype-001-1024x682

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Overlay Comparison to the Ford Maverick Pickup 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-overlayed-with-2023-Ford-Maverick-prototype-002-1152x768

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Overlay Comparison to the Ford Maverick Pickup 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-overlayed-with-2023-Ford-Maverick-prototype-003-front-ends-1024x638

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Overlay Comparison to the Ford Maverick Pickup 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-overlayed-with-2023-Ford-Maverick-prototype-004-rear-ends-1024x667

Ford Maverick Pickup Will Be Very Similar To Bronco Sport B-Pillar Forward: Exclusive
by Chris Teague - August 28, 2020

In late July, our spies caught the first completed prototype of the upcoming Ford Maverick compact pickup undergoing testing. The tester was adorned in a full camouflage package, which is to be expected when it comes to development prototypes. But Ford also disguised it with a clever bed cap to trick us into thinking it’s an SUV, rather than a pickup.

From the very beginning, Ford Authority has been reporting that the Maverick will ride on the Ford C2 platform shared very closely with the Bronco Sport. However, a few outlets have since reported that the Maverick will be nothing more than a Ford Transit Connect with a bed. But that’s simply not the case.

To prove that notion, we took the side profile angle of the aforementioned Ford Maverick spy shots and overlaid a to-scale image of a Ford Bronco Sport. The mashup shows the ways in which the two vehicles will be similar, and also how they’ll be different.
Sponsored Links

From the B-pillar forward, both the Mave and Bronco Sport will be nearly identical, including the general shape and configuration of the hood and the rest of the front end, the A-pillar execution and shape, plus the front doors.

In fact, the only discernible difference on the front end is the shape of the lower bumper cover: whereas the Bronco Sport features a steeply-raked front end to enable more extreme approach and departure angles for off-road duty, the Maverick will have a more traditional lower front bumper cover execution that’s not only more squared off, but is also lower. The Maverick will also feature a lower air dam. The less aggressive front end treatment is par course for a pickup like the Maverick, rather than an off-road-oriented machine like the Bronco sport.

Additionally, the Ford Maverick and Bronco Sport will have different wheelbases. Based on estimates derived from analysis in CAD, the difference will be around eight inches in favor of the Mave, likely resulting in larger rear doors for the pickup’s four-door cab. And since the Maverick is, after all, a pickup, it will have a much longer rear overhang than the Bronco Sport.
Sponsored Links

To sum all that up: the Maverick will have nothing in common with the Transit Connect, a compact range of vans that is built on a modified version of the Ford C1 platform – an architecture that’s in the process of being replaced by the C2 platform. What’s more, the Ford Maverick will be very similar, if not identical, to the new Bronco Sport from the B-pillar forward. But from the B-pillar back, the two vehicles will be quite different, with the Mave getting a longer wheelbase and a longer rear overhang to accommodate a larger cab and a bed. We also expect surface styling/detailing to differ on both models.

The compact Maverick will slot below the midsize, body-on-frame Ranger in Ford’s growing pickup lineup. Compared to the Ranger, the unibody Mave with have a smaller footprint, less off-road prowess and less capability, while also being more affordable.

Under the hood, the Maverick is expected to offer the 1.5L EcoBoost Dragon three-cylinder engine as well as the optional 2.0L EcoBoost inline-four. The very base Maverick models could also offer one of the two naturally-aspirated four-cylinder engines, though this isn’t something we can confirm at this time. All Maverick models should feature Ford’s new 8-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel-drive will be standard, while all-wheel-drive will be optional.

Maverick production will take place at the Ford Hermosillo plant in Mexico, which also happens to be the birthplace of the new Bronco Sport. Expect a launch in mid-2021 as a 2022 model.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/08/ford-maverick-pickup-will-be-very-similar-to-bronco-sport-b-pillar-forward-exclusive/
Sponsored

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Ford (and others) are betting big on very small SUV's and trucks with mostly under-powered set-ups. The full-sized Bronco is an exception. I'm going to pass judgement on the Bronco Sport until there is an actual test drive by a third party who examines hill passing speed, 0 to 60 mph, etc. The trend seems to be hybrids where HP and torque is shared by electric motors, like the Rav-4 Prime with insane acceleration.

Beach_Bum

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco
Folks have to keep in mind when comparing HP/torque among different vehicles. Manufacturers don't have a set standard so the consumer compares apples to apples. Often, they will report the highest metric but include in the small print the rpms at which the metric is achieved. It would be more honest if they would report the metrics across the entire spectrum of rpms.

Take for example the 2.0 liter Ecoboost available in the Badlands BS. It will achieve the 245 hp at 5500 rpms. Driving on the highway, you are likely never going to push the engine to 5500 rpms even if you were passing up a hill.

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s good to consider because I didn’t.. All I do know is I’ve seen the sport power steep rocks from a dead stop. That surely can’t be under-powered..
But that is a torque attribution. Torque is more important than HP when it comes to off-road. The 275 lb of foot torque at 3000 rpm is attainable. (Reference the 2.0 Liter Ecoboost engine).

I drive a v6 Jeep Liberty. It is reported as having 210 hp. I've had it for 17 years and never had the engine pushing 4000 rpms no less 5000 where the 210 hp is attained. The highest rpms that I've ever pushed it has been 3500 - 3800, and that upper end would be the extreme. But in all my years with the v6, I've never experienced not enough power in accelerating.

Beach_Bum

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That isn't a bet. That is charity. I have no doubt the BS would beat my v6 liberty in every category. But I can't knock the v6 as it is still running strong. I only have 85K miles on it.

As an aside, years ago, I had a Jaguar XJ6. Early on they were referred to as a Camaro Killer. I never understood why as it was heavy in initial acceleration. But once it got over 25, it would literally lurch with the slightest depression of the accelerator. It would literally float down the highway. The dual gas tanks allowed for it to drive forever without refilling.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I think he was referencing the 1.5L when he said underpowered. It has 181 hp and 190 torque compared to the 2.0’s 245 and 275. I currently have the 2.0 and it’s a great engine.

dano0726

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
Tdubz -- where's the oil filter located on your 2.0 EB?

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Re: acceleration....I'm guessing a lot depends on the way the computers are programmed for fuel economy, the way power transfers to the wheels and vehicle weight? For example, the Kia Telluride (291 hp) was one of my earlier choices but reviewers (Car and Driver, et al.) and owners all complained of it being flat on highways, e.g., passing / quick acceleration. That was a deal breaker. The same issue exists with the Tacoma. In fact, it's the number one complaint overall and biggest deal breaker for dealers during test drives. I absolutely hate any vehicle with a second or more hesitation when you step on the gas! Then again, I'm chasing storms and sometimes they chase me.

TXArchitect

First Edition
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Anyone do a comparison with BS and new Escape. It would help understand size and scale tremendously until we see these in dealers.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Sport: 172.7 (inches)
Toyota FJ Cruiser: 183.9 (This suprises me as I always thought this vehicle was short).
Escape: 180.5
Nissan Xterra: 178.7 (My current vehicle)
Cherokee: 182
Subaru Forester: 182.1
Land Rover Defender: 180.4 to 197.6.
Ford Explorer: 198.8
Toyota Rav-4 Prime: 180.9
Chevy Blazer: 191.4
Mini Cooper S: 158

Last edited:
OP
OP
North7

North7

Badlands
First Name
North7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Sport: 172.7 (inches)
Escape: 180.5
Nissan Xterra: 178.7 (My current vehicle)
Cherokee: 182
Subaru Forester: 182.1
Land Rover Defender: 180.4 to 197.6.
Ford Explorer: 198.8
Toyota Rav-4 Prime: 180.9
Chevy Blazer: 191.4
Mini Cooper S: 158
Great info, I sure wonder why they made the Sport 8" shorter than the Escape and 10" shorter than the Forester, a close competitor.

It's like they were trying to get closer to the Jeep Renegade at 167".

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Great info, I sure wonder why they made the Sport 8" shorter than the Escape and 10" shorter than the Forester, a close competitor.

Could have been weight. When you think about it, that is a lot of extra weight giving the height.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

this was my biggest complaint about the sport. a few extra inches wouldn’t have hurt it. I was concerned at first that it would be a “cute ute” like the renegade, but it’s essentially the size of the 2nd gen escape and has better proportions than the renegade. Ford’s website calls the sport a subcompact and the escape and forester are compacts so I guess they are really in different segments, although I’m sure they will be cross shopped.
Sponsored