JR Hagadorn

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Today is the day before Father's Day, and I took my son and son-in-law south to North Carolina's Outer Banks- 180 miles of wide beaches- much of it 4X4 country. In my first review I mentioned that I wanted to try the Michelin Primacy tires, which are not all-terrain to see how well they did on sand. We chose the north end of the Outer Banks at Corolla (the one road was extremely crowded on a Saturday with rentals leaving and arriving) . Corolla has an "air-up" park which is not at the same address as they give you online but is a big help coming off the beach if you don't have your own air compressor (I will have one next trip), We aired down to 20 before going on. I have a picture of the screen tire pressure monitor as we were airing down included-this is a big help). Soon after entering the wide beach the car in front of stuck in soft sand and we had to stop as well about 30 feet behind them, also in soft sand. We put ours in reverse- it grabbed- kept going straight back about 30 feet on the track we came in one- then sped forward to get momentum to steer through more soft sand to different tracks and the bronco passed with flying colors. We were amazed to see the number of cars that either had AWD or nothing out there despite the signs prohibiting them. The tow trucks were busy down there all afternoon. We set up for fishing and sunning- and were lucky enough to see the wild horses of Corolla where we were . (Included in a few pictures- look for them climbing the hill to the house on the dune as well). The optional cargo organizer was a big help. The Bronco and "Sand" Goat Mode with just the Michelins did fine. I will be picking up a good compressor to save on time when airing up as it can be a wait. . The Bronco gets Five Stars from me.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Review #2  On The Outer Banks of NC Today IMG-0278 (1)

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Review #2  On The Outer Banks of NC Today IMG-0294

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Review #2  On The Outer Banks of NC Today IMG-0301

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Review #2  On The Outer Banks of NC Today IMG-0305

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Review #2  On The Outer Banks of NC Today IMG-0313

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Review #2  On The Outer Banks of NC Today IMG-0329
Sponsored

moserp624

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Mazda CX-5
Did the low tire indication ever go away once you were driving? Or did/would you have to reset your TPMS? Does the "Sand" GOAT mode recognize that tire pressure should be lower than normal?

OP
OP

JR Hagadorn

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Did the low tire indication ever go away once you were driving? Or did/would you have to reset your TPMS? Does the "Sand" GOAT mode recognize that tire pressure should be lower than normal?
To question 1: The low tire indication came on and stayed as I recall. When we reached the beach ramp after airing down it made it tough to see my goat modes so I could switch to sand.
To question two- I dont recall now if the low tire indicator was showing while in sand mode. Maybe someone else can ring in on that.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
Looks like a fun time. Corolla. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

OP
OP

JR Hagadorn

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Looks like a fun time. Corolla. :thumbsup:
I hadn't been up there in years and was surprised by the numbers of people there. The car line coming in when we left Saturday around 3pm was at least 10 miles long bumper to bumper. The little town of Duck has just about everything you need and there are many hundreds of rental homes and condos. But there is only one two lane road that connects everything. If you are visiting for a day come on a weekday. You have to buy a permit ($50) to drive on the beach and that beach has soft spots, lots of them, until you get down closer to the water (the beaches are wide). Tow trucks are many. Once that single road ends the 4WD begins and you have to go 1 1/2 miles before you can park. Its right there near that house on the dunes where the horses come and go- they are something to see and sometimes gallop and kick up their heels. When you're driving a Bronco and seeing those horses coming at you -you can appreciate the spirit that the Bronco delivers on. It was a memorable day.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I got a Harbor Freight compressor for Xmas. It's the largest 12v they sell, around sixty bucks I think. Congress with a handy bag for storage, long power cable and a long air hose.
It has good reviews. I tried it for the first time last week on my Ram with 34" tires. To go from 45 psi to 55 psi to about four minutes. That's not bad for a 12v clamp to the battery compressor.

I've done that same top off using my 220v 20 gallon compressor and takes about 45 seconds.

OP
OP

JR Hagadorn

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I got a Harbor Freight compressor for Xmas. It's the largest 12v they sell, around sixty bucks I think. Congress with a handy bag for storage, long power cable and a long air hose.
It has good reviews. I tried it for the first time last week on my Ram with 34" tires. To go from 45 psi to 55 psi to about four minutes. That's not bad for a 12v clamp to the battery compressor.

I've done that same top off using my 220v 20 gallon compressor and takes about 45 seconds.
Thanks for the recommendation and I'll be looking into it...

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
... I hadn't been up there in years and was surprised by the numbers of people there ...
Rentals are completely booked like last year. I've been doing the 670-mile (or so) drive on Sundays now. Much better than Saturday. I don't do the drive in peak season. I'll come after Labor Day and last trip will be in May. No traffic getting through Southern Shores and Duck by time I get to the bridge Sunday evening.

Here's a 1990 picture from the lighthouse looking towards the Whalehead Club. That pool was filled in 30 years ago.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Review #2  On The Outer Banks of NC Today IMG_0007 - Copy

OP
OP

JR Hagadorn

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Rentals are completely booked like last year. I've been doing the 670-mile (or so) drive on Sundays now. Much better than Saturday. I don't do the drive in peak season. I'll come after Labor Day and last trip will be in May. No traffic getting through Southern Shores and Duck by time I get to the bridge Sunday evening.

Here's a 1990 picture from the lighthouse looking towards the Whalehead Club. That pool was filled in 30 years ago.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Review #2  On The Outer Banks of NC Today IMG_0007 - Copy
Thanks for sending the picture. I came to Va. Beach in '69 and The Outer Banks was sort of a locals secret and a great place to fish. The Hatteras seashore is a national park- and that keeps it pretty wild and pristine. But north of Nags Head it has become a circus.
Sponsored