RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
Quick video I made of my rental badlands vs my wife's Cherokee trailhawk.

That rental Badlands came with the aftermarket crossbars and rack?

Cabezone

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
How'd you go about renting it? This spring, after the snow melts, I'd be interesting in taking one up the trail that my old Crosstrek failed at.

Also since you've got both it'd be handy if you gave us your thoughts on how they compare.

OP

DogBeer

First Edition
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
How'd you go about renting it? This spring, after the snow melts, I'd be interesting in taking one up the trail that my old Crosstrek failed at.

Also since you've got both it'd be handy if you gave us your thoughts on how they compare.

I have a first edition on order, dealer got this in and its the Ford CT program so they can't sell until it gets 2000 demo miles on it. They said I could have it for 48 hours. I may switch to a BL+BL now because of the extra adaptive cruise control features and I really like the brown interior.

I'll give my thoughts on the comparison in a day or two cause I need to drive them right after each other.

Osco

Base
First Name
Marty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I have a first edition on order, dealer got this in and its the Ford CT program so they can't sell until it gets 2000 demo miles on it. They said I could have it for 48 hours.
Ok so you average 42 mph for 48 hours and It's yours, what's the prob ?
Roflmao

Osco

Base
First Name
Marty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
My company bought one of those Dodge,,err as you were Jeep Cherokee's, They can keep it.
After one fifty mile trip I was done with that thing.
It felt cramped, didn't like the Transmission at all. The thing looked so dated, looked like all the rest.
Sitting the bronco Sport next to an older style chassis, smaller overall sport ute and doing a compare should help people realize the Baby Bronc Is a far better overall package.

Last edited:

Broncomaui

First Name
Maui
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Escape
Really curious to hear how they compare. I’m torn between these two vehicles and feel the BS rides better but the Jeep has better towing capacity which I need.

OP

DogBeer

First Edition
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I have also owned a 2015 Cherokee trailhawk so very familiar with them. just remember a lot of things with vehicles are subjective...…..

Engine: Bronco is peppy and smooth and definitely is a quick little beast. The Cherokee has the v6 and it does a great job but doesn't feel like anything special. Having test drove many 2.0 trailhawk's; the ford 2.0 wins hands down both with the in-cabin noise and performance. The Cherokee with the 2.0 feels like you're driving a car and fights with 9 speed and never feels settled.

Transmission: the update to the Cherokee 9 speed (gen 2) is night/day difference vs the old one however the Bronco 8 speed is still way better.

Off-road: They are both very capable off-road and the jeep has a better crawl ratio so I'd give a slight edge to the Cherokee with its 4x4 system. however, when driving both of more rough/slippery/higher incline surfaces the Cherokee really shined with its true 4wd system.

Exterior: I like both but the bronco wins hands-down

Interior: I like the materials used in the bronco on the dash and the brown suede/leather are awesome.... but, I like the inside door handles in the Cherokee better as it is a thick piece of aluminum vs the black plastic in the bronco. The Cherokee has more legroom for rear passengers but it has a tad longer wheel base.

The Cherokee you sit higher up and feel like you are in an SUV but, you don't have as much room over your head whereas the bronco 'I feel' you sit low in the vehicle almost car-like and have a lot of room above you. you feel a tad more cramped in the Cherokee and roomy in the bronco, on the road you feel higher up in the Cherokee.

Both vehicles are very impressive for their class.

Last edited:

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I have also owned a 2015 Cherokee trailhawk so very familiar with them. just remember a lot of things with vehicles are subjective...…..

Engine: Bronco is peppy and smooth and definitely is a quick little beast. The Cherokee has the v6 and it does a great job but doesn't feel like anything special. Having test drove many 2.0 trailhawk's; the ford 2.0 wins hands down both with the in-cabin noise and performance. The Cherokee with the 2.0 feels like you're driving a car and fights with 9 speed and never feels settled.

Transmission: the update to the Cherokee 9 speed (gen 2) is night/day difference vs the old one however the Bronco 8 speed is still way better.

Off-road: They are both very capable off-road and the jeep has a better crawl ratio so I'd give a slight edge to the Cherokee with its 4x4 system. however, when driving both of more rough/slippery/higher incline surfaces the Cherokee really shined with its true 4wd system.

Exterior: I like both but the bronco wins hands-down

Interior: I like the materials used in the bronco on the dash and the brown suede/leather are awesome.... but, I like the inside door handles in the Cherokee better as it is a thick piece of aluminum vs the black plastic in the bronco. The Cherokee has more legroom for rear passengers but it has a tad longer wheel base.

The Cherokee you sit higher up and feel like you are in an SUV but, you don't have as much room over your head whereas the bronco 'I feel' you sit low in the vehicle almost car-like and have a lot of room above you. you feel a tad more cramped in the Cherokee and roomy in the bronco, on the road you feel higher up in the Cherokee.

Both vehicles are very impressive for their class.
Thanks for the talk thru the differences. Nothing you said would make me want the jeep. It's just looks like any other vehicle on the road. If I'm going to spend almost $40k it had better look good and special!

Advertisement

Advertisement