James G

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hope your insurance covers it. Ford won't budge on water intrusion. Just sayin.
Sponsored

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
Hope your insurance covers it. Ford won't budge on water intrusion. Just sayin.
Unless this was on a public road it's very unlikely they'll cover anything unless you have a rider for off road use. Just something to be aware of. Check you policies and confirm with your insurance agent.

OP
OP
Big Brody

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
It was on a public road thankfully. Here are photos of the obvious water intrusion. This ECU is mounted in a place that would be submerged during the advertised water fording depth, therefore the ECU must be designed for submersion. The ECU failed due to water intrusion. The corrison present suggests water was getting in long before it died.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water IMG_20210427_084325

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water IMG_20210427_084320

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water IMG_20210426_100954

Johnperrion

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It was on a public road thankfully. Here are photos of the obvious water intrusion. This ECU is mounted in a place that would be submerged during the advertised water fording depth, therefore the ECU must be designed for submersion. The ECU failed due to water intrusion. The corrison present suggests water was getting in long before it died.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water IMG_20210427_084325

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water IMG_20210427_084320

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water IMG_20210426_100954
Holy crap. Dude they gotta make this right. That is obsurd!
And as a side point, when I moved my junction box higher I have lost my fog light on that side. I can freely reach my hand in through the tow hook opening, and behind the wheel well liner and grab the juntion box and wiggle it freely. So I know it isn't snagged or in a rigid position that would pinch the wire.
I'm gonna have to remove the bumper again to do my lighting write up so I can peek around in there again if you need me to look at/for something.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk

Does that thing even have a gasket?

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
It might just be the pins. I’d try contact cleaner if it could mean getting it running

OP
OP
Big Brody

Big Brody

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Holy crap. Dude they gotta make this right. That is obsurd!
And as a side point, when I moved my junction box higher I have lost my fog light on that side. I can freely reach my hand in through the tow hook opening, and behind the wheel well liner and grab the juntion box and wiggle it freely. So I know it isn't snagged or in a rigid position that would pinch the wire.

I'm gonna have to remove the bumper again to do my lighting write up so I can peek around in there again if you need me to look at/for something.
I appreciate all the help. Sorry to hear about your issues. Could you get measurements on the ECU itself? I wasn't really able to see how the harness comes into the unit from your photos. I am getting help from the dealer too, but trying not to bug him too much with photo requests and keep him busy fixing the vehicle.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I don't know what your recourse to Ford is on this, but it's not right. Another question. Are these components mounted too low on the Bronco as well. Those folks are inclined to do a lot more water crossings than BS owners. It will quickly show up and taint their big intro. You never hear of these type problems with Jeeps.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Ford markets the Bronco Sport as capable of extreme off road "Go Anywhere" and now we have someone goes through 18 inches of water and gets damage. So Ford should either stop the Go Anywhere marketing or fix this defect.

Johnperrion

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I appreciate all the help. Sorry to hear about your issues. Could you get measurements on the ECU itself? I wasn't really able to see how the harness comes into the unit from your photos. I am getting help from the dealer too, but trying not to bug him too much with photo requests and keep him busy fixing the vehicle.
For sure bro, I will take a good look around in there and try to get it figured out for us. Just waiting out this rain. Says I'm supposed to get sunny skies tomorrow. So I'll get at it first thing in the morn if mother nature cooperates.

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
Does that thing even have a gasket?
Certainly looks like neither side of the connector had a gasket. And edges look too thin to provide a seal if greased either. My guess is a bean counter ordered this part from the lowest cost vendor. As an aside the Ford Mache EV has had a number of connector related issues as well. If Ford wants to reduce warranty costs it starts with not trying to save pennies on wiring harnesses and locating major electrical connectors up higher inside the hood, not exposed under the bumper.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4

Are these your connectors from you ECU failure from water crossing ? If they are , its ben corroding as said for a while & looks like a bunch of shorts , probably from the failed ECU .If Ford will not Warranty it , its time to lawyer up . A good dose of dielectric would have kept that from happening , & a good seal or gasket .

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Are these your connectors from you ECU failure from water crossing ? If they are , its ben corroding as said for a while & looks like a bunch of shorts , probably from the failed ECU .If Ford will not Warranty it , its time to lawyer up . A good dose of dielectric would have kept that from happening , & a good seal or gasket .
That was my thought when the OP mentioned corrosion in the first post. Takes awhile to grow the green, even in salt water. There is something that looks like mud also.
So far, however bad this is, it's the only report of this happening while water crossing. There have been several other wire harness related issues reported though that are troubling. I hope Ford is taking a hard look at their harness providers.
Sponsored

Last edited: