First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
EPA has been cracking down on shops that tune vehicles. Fining them threatening to shut them down ect. So they probably have to have that disclaimer for legal reasons.
Sponsored

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
Voiding the warranty is the wrong way to look at it. You still have your warranty, they just have the ability to deny your claims. Any tune is going to give Ford the opportunity to deny most powertrain claims.

Vw/Audi flags tuned cars with a code in the system (TD1). Assuming for does the same thing?

jamie1073

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I ordered mine today but I may have to cancel it. From what I can see on their invoice it seems they need the ECU to program it, which is a no go for me. I assumed it was programmed with a device, like SCT, HP or even Cobb AP. I hope it is but if not then I will have to seek out another tuner or wait for Livernois.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Voiding the warranty is the wrong way to look at it. You still have your warranty, they just have the ability to deny your claims. Any tune is going to give Ford the opportunity to deny most powertrain claims.

Vw/Audi flags tuned cars with a code in the system (TD1). Assuming for does the same thing?
I know we have gone around this topic once, so I bring this question very seriously, and without harm...if you risk a waranty claim denial, what's the real advantage of tuning it? Is there a significant and undeniable gain to the tune? I have a challenger. I have topped it out at Michigan Speedway, once...there is never a practical point where I will ever need to do that again. I've hit 100 on an expressway proving a point or just screwing off on open country stretches...but I don't understand the purpose of squeezing anything more out of a small SUV with say 250HP already?
I am not saying it's wrong, I am not even suggesting it's a terrible idea, I am truly trying to understand the purpose and advantage and I honestly think you have some experience with it. Thoughts?

Reactions: Jrl

jamie1073

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know we have gone around this topic once, so I bring this question very seriously, and without harm...if you risk a waranty claim denial, what's the real advantage of tuning it? Is there a significant and undeniable gain to the tune? I have a challenger. I have topped it out at Michigan Speedway, once...there is never a practical point where I will ever need to do that again. I've hit 100 on an expressway proving a point or just screwing off on open country stretches...but I don't understand the purpose of squeezing anything more out of a small SUV with say 250HP already?
I am not saying it's wrong, I am not even suggesting it's a terrible idea, I am truly trying to understand the purpose and advantage and I honestly think you have some experience with it. Thoughts?
Personally I just like to get the most out of the engine. I tuned my Focus ST to get more power off the line and in the mid range of the power band. Ford limits boost in 1st and 2nd gears to make takeoff more smooth for the normal person and the gas pedal less touchy. In the Focus ST case it was to save on tires as boosting early made for lots of spinning if you just floored after letting off the clutch. I also tuned the Edge ST to get more off the line performance and more mid range performance, boost was limited on those in 1st and 2nd as well. While it is fun to be quicker off the line, the mid-range increases are the most noticeable especially when driving around town and on the back roads in those two vehicles. I want the Bronco Sport tune for the mid-range increases and of course it is always fun to beat an STi in a straight line run to 60, not interested in the 1/4 with the Bronco Sport as it will probably not handle well are 100+ MPH for my liking, while I am sure it is fine at speed it really is not needed on US roads. But in the end it is because I want to get the most out of the engine and vehicle for all around driving and performance. And because I can, lol.

Warranty claims are normally only denied if the tune caused the issue and they can prove it. I do not leave the tune on the vehicle when it goes in for service. Although the dealer did see my updated Intercooler and added on blow off valve on the Focus ST and never said anything, they even took it in trade and sold it used. They also took my Edge ST in trade on my Bronco Sport. Both were leases that I ended early die to them giving me cash plus buying out the lease. I also never had a problem with either of them due to tuning and I drove both like I was running from the cops.

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For daily driving the benefit is more power under the curve. For the most part, top speed or peak horsepower is the wrong way to think about tuning a daily driver, even though they're the numbers everyone talks about. I haven't looked at the graphs for the bronco sport since I won't be tuning it (unless I sell my vw and go to one car) but you gain power across the entire powerband which you don't need a track to take advantage of.

Here's a vw dyno since I'm a lot more familiar with the vw aftermarket. I don't have APR but they have a nice graphic (my car is a similar setup but makes a little more power). The extra power under the curve makes the car significantly more lively in day to day driving, its immediate power all the time without needing to push the engine to the max. Making 270 hp at 3500 rpms instead of making it at 4700 rpms (or being able to produce the same power as stock but at 2/3 the throttle input) is more significant around town than making 387 at 6300 unless you redline every gear. I'd imagine this would all be applicable to a tuned sport albeit to a lesser degree.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport 2.0L gets ECU flash tune by Vivid Racing ["VR Tuned ECU Flash"] xctmpo19O6b

As far as the warranty, its just calculated risk reward analysis. Odds are low you're going to have something catastrophic happen with just a tune, and if it does it was probably going to happen anyway. Most things that can go wrong aren't going to be THAT expensive (unless you grenade the engine or destroy the trans, both very unlikely). If something does break, pay to play, or find a mod friendly dealer in advance. A new turbo for my Golf R is ~900 with an independent shop doing the work for another 400 or so. Its not cheap but if that kind of expense is painful than its probably not a good decision to go down that road. Most manufacturers can tell if a tune has been installed and removed so there isn't a way to unring the bell so to speak.

Personally, I wouldn't tune a bronco sport yet given how new it is. Focus RS guys who tuned their cars early and ended up with the bad head gasket got F'd in a lot of cases from what I've read. Better to let the issues with the platform get discovered and corrected for a little bit in my opinion. I would put a piggyback on it if burger motorsport makes one for the platform.

All that said benefits at the track are nice too... Doing this event again at the end of May and can't wait.

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
For daily driving the benefit is more power under the curve. For the most part, top speed or peak horsepower is the wrong way to think about tuning a daily driver, even though they're the numbers everyone talks about. I haven't looked at the graphs for the bronco sport since I won't be tuning it (unless I sell my vw and go to one car) but you gain power across the entire powerband which you don't need a track to take advantage of....
thanks that was an excellent explaination and very detailed points. I have to say I get it a little better, and I suppose I can see where it has some advantages. I also agree an early version of this vehicle probably still has a few bugs, and personally I don't know that I need the boost...though I also took the advice of several dealers in optioning the badlands for the 2.0 vs the standard 1.5 because of more power. Most indicated they were currently driving a 1.5 and while it's a robust engine...it was a dog compared to the 2.0. I sincerely felt the Big Bend versions I drove were responsive and what I'd expect from a small SUV. Putting more power in a lower RPM makes more sense however.
I laugh a little...you mention it's more for traffic stop take off and just fun and responsiveness...yet clearly your primary fun is at the track :) nothing wrong with that, it's what I picture as the main purpose of chipping or tuning the engine.
Again I appreciate the response. I don't berate people for their choices, I do like to argue, and with argue, I mean share my view, receive their view, and learn in that process. Many people don't know how to actually argue a point. Well done, the information was great. You certainly have a good view of the benefits. It makes much more sense to me as well.

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks that was an excellent explaination and very detailed points. I have to say I get it a little better, and I suppose I can see where it has some advantages. I also agree an early version of this vehicle probably still has a few bugs, and personally I don't know that I need the boost...though I also took the advice of several dealers in optioning the badlands for the 2.0 vs the standard 1.5 because of more power. Most indicated they were currently driving a 1.5 and while it's a robust engine...it was a dog compared to the 2.0. I sincerely felt the Big Bend versions I drove were responsive and what I'd expect from a small SUV. Putting more power in a lower RPM makes more sense however.
I laugh a little...you mention it's more for traffic stop take off and just fun and responsiveness...yet clearly your primary fun is at the track :) nothing wrong with that, it's what I picture as the main purpose of chipping or tuning the engine.
Again I appreciate the response. I don't berate people for their choices, I do like to argue, and with argue, I mean share my view, receive their view, and learn in that process. Many people don't know how to actually argue a point. Well done, the information was great. You certainly have a good view of the benefits. It makes much more sense to me as well.
I definitely have fun at the track, but I go maybe 3 or 4 times a year max so almost all of my driving is on the street. Even if I never went I’d have the same setup.

glad the explanation made sense.

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown; 2008 Mustang GT
I would like to tune my BB but not just yet. Waiting for more time from those who have tuned and who was their tuner. I tuned my Mustang GT within my warranty and have let my dealer know it as I had to make sure that they never put it back to stock as I have installed cams, etc. and have had no problem with them, but not all dealers are the same. The tune I put on had three different ones for varying octane ratings. One cool thing I did notice with my Mustang is it got better gas mileage on the highways than stock, substantially. My V8 was getting 28-29 at 60ish versus 22-23, however when you put the pedal to the floor all of that changed.

Manufactures tune their stock engines to those who mostly "fit" the daily experience for that vehicle but have long under horse powered them. Tuners know this which why they exist. Not only do they find trapped HP/torque safely but can also give better shift points for auto trans.

I talked with Vivid about a month ago and they showed me dyno pulls which added 25 rear wheel HP on the 3 banger which is considerable and the torque went crazy, especially lower RPM's. That is not HP at the crank which is what is advertised and higher than what gets to the tires. They offer different tunes for different octanes but also just a tranny shift point tune. I think my BB is learning me but it still lugs gears, especially in-town driving. Not every driver is the same and may have different expectations. I will put a tune on later because the 1.5 could use it. However, if I need to "launch" I will do it in my Mustang. Way more fun!

jamie1073

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After not getting much information after I ordered this on the 29th, I cancelled it today. They did not answer my questions and then did not even respond after a second conversation was attempted to them. Sad because I wanted to try it, although I was confused as to why this would need to have the ECU sent to them when all other tuners just update tunes via a device like the HP tuner. And all their other tunes seem to us HP tuners for programming.

I ordered another tune through Livernois as I had their device from my Edge ST tune and they just released their BS tunes.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Usually tuners can send you a tune, you install tune, drive around and data log, send log to tuner, they adjust and send you new tune, you install, data log again and repeat until the tune shows a clean data log. Not sure what all this send them the ECU stuff is all about.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
...I also tuned the Edge ST to get more off the line performance and more mid range performance, boost was limited on those in 1st and 2nd as well...
I had a COBB tune on my Fiesta ST and it made a world of difference. Similarly letting you control the power with your feet instead of the ECU doing it for you. I loved that I could turn it on and off at the touch of a button and uninstall/reinstall it if I needed to go into the dealer for service. It included launch control and flat foot shifting for the manual transmission too. It was totaling worth it in the Fiesta and I enjoyed it a lot. I really wish I'd kept that car. For the money it was an absolute blast to drive. I say quick more than fast but so much value in that package.

That said I plan on leaving the my BS Badlands stock. I'm curious how these new Eco Boost tunes deal with the Goat Modes? It seems like the Goat Modes are changing throttle and possibly boost response much like what the tunes do. I've had enough modded cars with "issues" that leaving one stock for a change is ok with me.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
I know a lot of people are comparing their ST's and VW's, but those cars are meant for speed and a tune makes absolute sense. I just cant get past the logic of tuning an SUV when these will be used mostly for everyday use. That's just my opinion.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
I ordered 2.0 Badlands with the idea it should have enough power stock tune.
Sponsored