Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Would tuning the engine void your warranty?

OP
OP
Fossil

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
While there may be away around it, figure, yes it will void your warranty.
Some tuners offer an after market warranty, don't think Vivid does.

neosolidus

Badlands
First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3,Jeep Wrangler JLemon
Would tuning the engine void your warranty?
that's a loaded question because in reality it depends on so many factors that no two answers are the same, it will heavily depend on which dealer you use, some are mod friendly and others take the corporate route of denying any claims if there is any sort of aftermarket tinkering.

Anyways yes it CAN void the warranty of anything related to the tune(Engine,turbo,ECM,injector,fuel pump) all they have to say is the tune made XYZ part work beyong its intended parameter and which point is your word against them and lawyers need to get involved which is usually where the little guy(us) loose.

Technically they are supposed to prove that the aftermarket modification is the cause of the damage but normally the way that goes is a tech writing a report saying that in their opinion backed by XYZ years of service this part is the likely cause of failure at that point you have to prepare for a world of hurt.

This is why the best cause of action is always to feel out your dealer service tech because that is what will determine how annoying or pleasurable owning that vehicle will be.

Any vehicle that I plan to mod I normally assume that will have no warranty and go from there.

BTW MODs do not affect recalls, regardless of what you do if there is a recall they will absolutely do it free of charge.

OP
OP
Fossil

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it should be noted that when you take your BS in for warranty service it physically gets plugged into the Ford system. At that point Ford network has the ability to check anything it wants to and I assume there are a standard battery of checks including TSBs, recalls etc. Once the tech enters the diagnosis into the system, Ford, not the dealer, authorizes or nixes the repair. if it's a drive line repair you can bet the ECU will be checked.

in the old days a dealers service tech could chose to ignore that lumpy idle or that 780cfm holly carb. These days it's that air cleaner, charge pipe, cooler etc that are discretionary, not what's actually in the computer should Ford want to look.

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
that's a loaded question because in reality it depends on so many factors that no two answers are the same, it will heavily depend on which dealer you use, some are mod friendly and others take the corporate route of denying any claims if there is any sort of aftermarket tinkering.

Anyways yes it CAN void the warranty of anything related to the tune(Engine,turbo,ECM,injector,fuel pump) all they have to say is the tune made XYZ part work beyong its intended parameter and which point is your word against them and lawyers need to get involved which is usually where the little guy(us) loose.

Technically they are supposed to prove that the aftermarket modification is the cause of the damage but normally the way that goes is a tech writing a report saying that in their opinion backed by XYZ years of service this part is the likely cause of failure at that point you have to prepare for a world of hurt.

This is why the best cause of action is always to feel out your dealer service tech because that is what will determine how annoying or pleasurable owning that vehicle will be.

Any vehicle that I plan to mod I normally assume that will have no warranty and go from there.

BTW MODs do not affect recalls, regardless of what you do if there is a recall they will absolutely do it free of charge.
Thanks for that feedback...makes a lot of sense.

Speed Devil

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 19 Ram Rebel
It'll void, but also feel out the dealership as mentioned above; talk to the service manager and whoever else, ask the hypothetical "If I were to tune this, how would you feel?" And go from there

AltarBoy

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’fusion
The 4cyl makes less than 200hp factory? Those baseline numbers look more like the 3cyl

OP
OP
Fossil

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 4cyl makes less than 200hp factory? Those baseline numbers look more like the 3cyl
Dyno HP is measured at the wheels, factory HP is measured at the crank..

if you're assuming a 15% drive train loss (i.e. 100 HP at the crank = 85 HP at the wheels), then you need to take the WHP figures and multiply by 1.1765. In this case, 85 WHP * 1.1765 = 100.0025 crank HP.

using the general 15% rule the 3cyl might dyno at 154hp.

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I know with the F150s Ford sent out notices to dealers with mods to look for and if those mods were found void the warrantee. Dealers can tell if the vehicle has ever had a tune. So even if you reverse the tune Ford can detect that it had a tune done in the past.

RaffaUSMC

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
i work at a ford dealer near philly and we like to help customers out whenever we can. it really depends on the mods and if its going to affect repairs or other components. a tune would most likely affect how our diagnostic equipment communicates with the vehicle. if you come in with an electrical concern, it could take us longer to work around what is changed to diagnose a concern. thats the main issue with warrantied repairs on a modified vehicle.

Speed Devil

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct me if im wrong, wasn't the original, prelifted max 200whp? Guess tires and lift ate some of the initial power??

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Correct me if im wrong, wasn't the original, prelifted max 200whp? Guess tires and lift ate some of the initial power??
Yeah, the before numbers were better in the first vid. Within 10whp of the tuned the after vid. They lowered the "before" numbers drastically, from 208whp to 170whp. They don't say there was a tire change which would make a difference, just lights and lift.

Edit: looking at the graph, it might be that in the first video they quoted early tuned numbers instead of the baseline numbers. That makes more sense as the 290lb/ft of torque at the wheels in the first vid is over the Ford spec for torque at the flywheel.

Last edited:

Speed Devil

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the before numbers were better in the first vid. Within 10whp of the tuned the after vid. They lowered the "before" numbers drastically, from 208whp to 170whp. They don't say there was a tire change which would make a difference, just lights and lift.

Edit: looking at the graph, it might be that in the first video they quoted early tuned numbers instead of the baseline numbers. That makes more sense as the 290lb/ft of torque at the wheels in the first vid is over the Ford spec for torque at the flywheel.
That would make sense, ty Jerry

JPW_Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
This doesn't address the warranty question, but I stumbled across this ECU tuning video the other day on YouTube, and was curious enough to check out the Vivid's website, and found this. For what it's worth...

"This product is for Racing Competition only and is not legal for use in highway or street vehicles or other non-racing competition off-road vehicles.

Purchasing this product requires you to sign our Vehicle Compliance Waiver here."
Sponsored