Brand new with a question

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
When I first heard it , I thought it was like a fan when you're PC needs cooling . I thought the Head lights were not LED , that only the running light Markers were.
Headlamps are LED.
Sponsored

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Semi-off topic. LED headlights are known to ice over as the LEDs do not produce the heat at the lens that Halogen lights do.

There are some LED headlight assemblies that have defroster wires in them.

I wonder if the fans serve a dual purpose of reducing moisture inside the lens and defrosting the outside of the lens.

Roy

Big Bend
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your car doesn’t know where it is, nor does it care. If those fans were designed to reduce humidity (or temperapture) they’ll run whenever they are designed to run.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Semi-off topic. LED headlights are known to ice over as the LEDs do not produce the heat at the lens that Halogen lights do.

There are some LED headlight assemblies that have defroster wires in them.

I wonder if the fans serve a dual purpose of reducing moisture inside the lens and defrosting the outside of the lens.
But RUNNING For 6 Hours ? putting a Jump Box in It just in case
I doubt it’s running continuously for six hours. It probably comes on every once in a while.

lbjailer

First Edition
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 F150 Lariat 4X4, Bronco Sport First Edition
That was one of my first things to include next to the spare tire. Battery ever dies hopefully will be able to not get stranded.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Not a bad idea if you're going to be in the boonies with no cell service and miles to the nearest paved road. I hear all sorts of random noises and lights seeming to stay on too long after ignition is turned off. I have a recovery bag with receiver insert and a shackle, extra shackle and tow strap. Also have a portable air compressor and flat fix.

Follow-up next morning. I have a lithium jump box in my Amazon cart. Will order in a couple of days. I'm not in state now and don't want it to beat me home. Thanks for the reminder, Roy.

Last edited:

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Heard it on the passenger side of mine while topping off the washer fluid. I believe it’s the headlight assemblies themselves. I would assume with the LEDs there’s a heatsink and likely a fan to keep them cooled one way or another.
Might as well put in my noise comment. I get this humming noise too. Starts when I just unlock the door, not even opening the door. All lights outside and in come on. Locked the doors, all lights turn out, noise is still happening. I'll go check on it later...

Edit: Just picked up this BS BB couple days ago, had 9 miles on it. Is there any info on the sticker that says build-date?

Last edited:

Vangie

Badlands
First Name
Vangie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I've listened to mine make the same sound before I ever start it with a cold engine.
Starts when there is any electrical interaction with the vehicle.
Unlocking the doors starts it.
Sounds like an electric motor and those drain batteries. With what appears to be a rather high engine off electrical power requirement I'm hoping Ford ok's me plugging a small solar cell with a reverse flow diod and a max volt cut off into the 12 volt outlet as mine is not a daily driver. 5 to 10 watts should do the trick.
I drive s BSBadlands . The motors/ fans start up every time i open a door / tailgate. I discovered ( while dispersed camping ) that the “motors”will run up to 45 minutes before turning off—and the cycle immediately begins again when opening/ closing any door. ( i vigilantly keep all lights off when camping —-and use external battery for power needs). Twice, i’ve had to return from offroading because of onboard and Fordpass notice that battery was not charged/ in emergency deep sleep mode…
Ford already had to replace my initial battery ( 4 months old —working to 60% capacity) after
the above issues occurred—along with unexplained , spontaneous electrical components coming on while sleeping in and/ or offroad driving the vehicle.

i was told( via local dealership service department conferring with factory technicians) that sleeping in the car with the fob was causing the problem. Their solution was to tell me to take the battery out of the fob—and reassemble the fob when ready to drive.
i have been experimenting with a faraday bag in prep for another overlanding weekend…. Was discouraged today when , upon opening the car door( lights off,didn’t start engine), the “motors “ came on again—and kept running for 35-40 minutes ( fob in faraday bag). Am very hesitant to trust the electrical system/ battery function….

Any thoughts/ information would be greatly appreciated. Out of an 7 week period, my vehicle was in the shop for a total of 25 days…. Would like to get this resolved so that i can actually enjoy using the BSB—and not to feel the need to look potentially at lemon laws as a possible resolution….

Thanks…..
Sponsored