ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The engine is equipped with a recirculation valve from the factory that does the same thing. The only difference is it vents back into the unpressurized portion of the intake tract so it's not as noisy.
I understand that; I've had that on other systems as well. BOV is more
The engine is equipped with a recirculation valve from the factory that does the same thing. The only difference is it vents back into the unpressurized portion of the intake tract so it's not as noisy.
To each thier own....
I dont like to vent back into system; I had trouble with a previous vehicle.
Sponsored

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
agree. This ain’t Fast n Furious :cool:

to each their own

would this void warranty?
Never had it void a warranty before; I'm sure if something fails and they can blame the BOV they will. But they will do that to any aftermarket part 🤷‍♂️

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
I'm not in it for the sound; I'm in it for the functionality of a BOV. It's meant to stop back pressure to the turbo.
I've had turbos in my cars since 2009 and I've had to replace a few along the way.
In my word it's called preventive maintenance. Even when you arrive at your destination (especially after a hard run) I'd suggest letting your vehicle idle to cycle out the hot oil from the turbo. It'll extend the life; believe me.
At the end of the day......to each thier own 🤷‍♂️ you do what you want to your vehicle and I'll do what I want. 🍻🤙
Thanks ChefDank
https://www.counterman.com/turbo-cooling-the-real-reason-turbochargers-are-back/
Valuable info you've passed on
Ford Bronco Sport Boomba Racing Blow Off Valve (BOV) adapter; Vent to Atmosphere on BL 2.0 1654116030096

by now you know my opinion on crank pressures
another angle I was of which I was unaware

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knowledge is power my friend 🤙
A great positive of this forum....take the good and leave the bad
what the hell says I
let's check the owners manual
certainly there must be some input Ford would care to share
open manual
ctrl+f
enter turbo
one entry
yep
ONE

Ford Bronco Sport Boomba Racing Blow Off Valve (BOV) adapter; Vent to Atmosphere on BL 2.0 1654124251452

Ford
*it's a secret*

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Tossing this one in for good measure

https://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/idling-rule-turbo-charged-cars

Need new thread
"Things they didn't teach you in Bronco school"
If you found these two articles about turbocharger cool down then I'm sure you found the many others that say it's completely unnecessary. If you want to take time to idle your engine for 60 seconds--or whatever; none of these articles seem to say precisely how long you need to idle--then have at it. I don't think it's necessary for everyday driving, mainly because I think Ford would include the procedure in the manual if it were required. Now, if you happen to have your Bronco Sport out jumping sand dunes and cutting donuts then your turbo is likely indeed working very hard, with little air flow. A cool down in that situation might not be such a bad idea, and not just for the turbo.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
what the hell says I
let's check the owners manual
certainly there must be some input Ford would care to share
open manual
ctrl+f
enter turbo
one entry
yep
ONE

Ford Bronco Sport Boomba Racing Blow Off Valve (BOV) adapter; Vent to Atmosphere on BL 2.0 1654124251452

Ford
*it's a secret*
Careful of those K&N filters .....

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you found these two articles about turbocharger cool down then I'm sure you found the many others that say it's completely unnecessary. If you want to take time to idle your engine for 60 seconds--or whatever; none of these articles seem to say precisely how long you need to idle--then have at it. I don't think it's necessary for everyday driving, mainly because I think Ford would include the procedure in the manual if it were required. Now, if you happen to have your Bronco Sport out jumping sand dunes and cutting donuts then your turbo is likely indeed working very hard, with little air flow. A cool down in that situation might not be such a bad idea, and not just for the turbo.
the info certainly is not lacking
a-z including aircraft
interesting to see the water cooled system which operated post shutdown

correct in stating none could narrow down a time
although some of the aircraft threads had regulation time frames
guess is how would you measure against variables
ambient temps
exhaust temp/time exposure
intercooler/ ambient temps
air flow / intercooler/ time
all variables and dynamic forces
so no, pinning down a set time ain't in the works

dunes, donuts or lugging sacks of corn to the still up yonder
presented with a situation of erring on the side of caution
choose wisely my friend
trailer and a boat or load of wood
might apply
wheeling straight off the expressway to a rest stop
might apply
hill country of pennsyltucky
might apply
judgement calls
err on the side of caution

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
For most driving, the last 30-60 seconds is spent at idle or at low speed and load. That is plenty of cool down time for the turbo. It is very infrequent for a vehicle to be run extremely hard and shut off with no time in between. Yes, those circumstances do exist and you might want to be aware when they do but since they happen so infrequently it shouldn’t have much affect on the turbo life.
If you are one of the people that believes that synthetic blend motor oil is just as good as full synthetic, then you might want to think about that coking issue.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
The source is watching a boost gauge while driving a 2L turbo for the last 10 years. For normal driving the system is not in boost, it’s in vacuum. Only under moderate acceleration does it even move from vacuum to boost. You really have to push pretty far down on the accelerator to get far into boost. The turbo is always going to be hot because all of the exhaust gasses are running through it. So what we are talking about is just how hot it is. I’ve read many times over the years the advice I gave above. If this was truly an issue to be concerned about on these small turbo engines, there would be turbo failures piling up. Do turbos fail, yes. Are they failing at a high rate, no. Most drivers pay no attention to this and never will, which would lead to a higher failure rate if it were an issue. Airplanes work pretty hard during landing so I can see where they would need a cool down period. Most cars are driven easy in the last minute or so before getting parked. It’s really only at the extreme that you need to consider this cool down. After all that, if you want to sit in the car and let it idle, and that makes you feel like the turbo is being taken better care of, then by all means.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
the basics of a cool down period
oil cooled turbo's
Aircraft engines are air cooled, which means the only real cooling provided for the turbocharger bearings comes from the engine oil. The overwhelming majority of modern automotive turbochargers—including those used in Ford's EcoBoost engines—are protected by the engine's cooling system during operation. Using the engine's liquid coolant to cool the bearings affords several advantages over oil-only cooling, including lower/more consistent peak operating temperature under load and more rapid decrease from peak when not under load. These advantages are the primary reason auto manufacturers no longer recommend a cool down period for the turbocharger—it's simply not necessary under the operating conditions most daily drivers see.

Also, as mentioned by Eric, modern synthetic engine oils are not as susceptible to coking as their dino-base equivalents. This is one of the main reasons that Ford requires the use of oils that meet the new API SP/ILSAC GF-6 standards. Piston aviation engines are not compatible with synthetic oils.

Does it hurt anything to idle your engine for whatever time you decide is necessary to "cool down" the turbo bearings before shutting it down? Aside from the use of fuel and time, not at all. Nor does it hurt anything to wear garlic as a guard against vampires, witches, werewolves, and demons. Personally, I don't see a need to do either.

To go a bit off topic (indulge me), I've been involved in general aviation for nearly three decades, so I'm intimately familiar with the operation of piston aviation engines. The video you posted is taken directly from the engine manufacturer's recommended operating manual, but if you note when the presenter begins discussing procedures (@1:22) he says, "Always follow the POH for specific shut down procedures." The POH is the Pilot's Operating Handbook—the airplane equivalent of a car's Owner's Manual. While the engine manufacturer publishes its recommended operating procedures, it's up to the aircraft manufacturer to determine which of those recommended procedures are appropriate for an engine as installed in their aircraft.

The aircraft that's featured in this video is a Cirrus SR-22T, which is equipped with a Continental TSIO-55ON, a turbocharged, direct drive, fuel injected, air cooled, horizontally opposed 6 cylinder engine with 550 cubic inch displacement. You can read the POH for the aircraft here. When you do you'll find there is no requirement for a turbo cool-down period prior to engine shut down. This is mainly because flight testing showed the low power setting during approach and near idle power typically used during taxi afford adequate cooling time for the turbocharger.
Sponsored