• Poll closed .

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I recently accompanied a friend during his purchase of a new Ford Maverick pickup and the salesman wanted to pair his phone with Bluetooth. My friend has an iPhone and planned to use CarPlay so I told him to just use the cable. The salesman didn't seem to understand that Bluetooth was not needed. This made me wonder how many folks use Bluetooth with CarPlay or Android Auto. Personally, I've never found any reason to pair my iPhone to a vehicle offering CarPlay. And it certainly makes using my phone in a borrowed or rented car far easier.
Advertisement

Monkey

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
Best to still pair the phone via bluetooth. That way, you have phone functionality without plugging in and other features still available. I rarely take my phone out of my pocket and then I still have my phone and music running through the car. Wireless CarPlay/ AA would be best, but OTOH it's a huge battery drain when you run it wirelessly and Bronco Sport (Sync 3) doesn't offer wireless CP/AA.

I'll plug in and use CarPlay if I specifically want to use something like WAZE or we're on a longer drive and we want better control over music.

When I travel and rent a car, Carplay is the best. No pairing or deciding how reliable the navigation is in some car I've never driven before. Just plug in and go.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer
For me I’ve used CarPlay once, maybe twice as a backup to the vehicle’s nav system, until I found out when it loses gps signal how to give it a reboot. It’s not actually a bad system, I can see it being really useful if you didn’t have onboard nav. I can see too how easy it would be doing map searches in one step. Now, at least for something obscure, I have to google the address of a place then enter it on the vehicle nav. Still though, I’m Bluetooth only just for the texts. I’m not even sure I’ve tried a playlist from Music on Bluetooth, just use Sirius.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I recently accompanied a friend during his purchase of a new Ford Maverick pickup and the salesman wanted to pair his phone with Bluetooth. My friend has an iPhone and planned to use CarPlay so I told him to just use the cable. The salesman didn't seem to understand that Bluetooth was not needed. This made me wonder how many folks use Bluetooth with CarPlay or Android Auto. Personally, I've never found any reason to pair my iPhone to a vehicle offering CarPlay. And it certainly makes using my phone in a borrowed or rented car far easier.
I believe if you check your phone after you've connected it with the cable you will find it is also paired via Bluetooth. I'm fairly certain that the system pairs via bluetooth automatically after you plug in the cable.

Advertisement

Advertisement