BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I brought this up in another thread as the OP had stock tires and mentioned upgrading to A/Ts:

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/video-off-roading-anza-borrego-desert-in-my-area-51-big-bend.1494/

I just bought the BS Big Bend and it came with stock 225/65R17 Continental tires but I am looking to upgrade to slightly larger A/Ts. Does anyone know the max size the Big Bend can handle? I have been looking everywhere online to see if there is a max tire size for the Big Bend without any suspension lift/cutting/trimming modifications. I read the Car and Driver article where the writer asked Ford about max size without lift (30.5") but that was for the Badlands, not the Big Bend.

I looked at the preliminary specs page linked below but it only shows 225/65R17 as an option for the Big Bend with 17" wheels. Further below it does show the 235/65R17 as an option for the Badlands. I was thinking about going with that size or possibly even 235/70R17 for a little more ride height and clearance but I'm not sure if they will fit without rubbing. Thoughts?

2021 Bronco Sport Preliminary Specs
Sponsored

Shiskamba

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatch
I brought this up in another thread as the OP had stock tires and mentioned upgrading to A/Ts:

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/video-off-roading-anza-borrego-desert-in-my-area-51-big-bend.1494/

I just bought the BS Big Bend and it came with stock 225/65R17 Continental tires but I am looking to upgrade to slightly larger A/Ts. Does anyone know the max size the Big Bend can handle? I have been looking everywhere online to see if there is a max tire size for the Big Bend without any suspension lift/cutting/trimming modifications. I read the Car and Driver article where the writer asked Ford about max size without lift (30.5") but that was for the Badlands, not the Big Bend.

I looked at the preliminary specs page linked below but it only shows 225/65R17 as an option for the Big Bend with 17" wheels. Further below it does show the 235/65R17 as an option for the Badlands. I was thinking about going with that size or possibly even 235/70R17 for a little more ride height and clearance but I'm not sure if they will fit without rubbing. Thoughts?

2021 Bronco Sport Preliminary Specs
I’ve been looking for this same info. I’d love to go 245/65/R18 personally, as I plan to add fender flares to mine. But can’t find a reliable source for biggest option that fits without a lift.

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I've been tossing this around here and there as well - but looking for more input from the forums and FB groups.

The 245/65 would cause a few mph discrepancy in the speedo that I wouldn't want to deal with right now - especially when my girlfriend lives by cruise control and the cops here will nab you for a minor speeding offense.

235/65 seems to bridge that gap enough at highway speed - but 225/65 is nothing to pass up either if I go with the Falken Wildpeaks or Pirelli Scorpions.

Mostly in the end I do not want to deal with putting a lift on the vehicle to make sure that at max flex/use I do not have any rubbing. To be on the side of caution I might just stick with stock tire size to avoid any issues.

OP
OP
BamaBronco

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I've been tossing this around here and there as well - but looking for more input from the forums and FB groups.

The 245/65 would cause a few mph discrepancy in the speedo that I wouldn't want to deal with right now - especially when my girlfriend lives by cruise control and the cops here will nab you for a minor speeding offense.

235/65 seems to bridge that gap enough at highway speed - but 225/65 is nothing to pass up either if I go with the Falken Wildpeaks or Pirelli Scorpions.

Mostly in the end I do not want to deal with putting a lift on the vehicle to make sure that at max flex/use I do not have any rubbing. To be on the side of caution I might just stick with stock tire size to avoid any issues.
So...I bit the bullet and went with 245/65R17 Toyo Open Country ATIII's. They look so good and fill out the wheel well nicely. If there is much of a speedometer difference, I can't tell at all - not even with shift points. *Technically* there is a very small difference because I used a GPS speedo on my phone and it appeared I was going 1-2 mph faster than the speedo said, but that's not an issue to me. I think the law is to maintain within 5 mph or 10%.

Also, no rubbing at all but I know everyone's main question (mine included) is how will the larger tires affect wheel travel? Well, I'm here to tell you that there is still plenty of space between the tire and the wheel well. I actually don't think this will be an issue at all. I would like to verify this but I just got the tires today and haven't gotten a chance to get on a trail yet. Will try to update when I do.

MattH88

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So...I bit the bullet and went with 245/65R17 Toyo Open Country ATIII's. They look so good and fill out the wheel well nicely. If there is much of a speedometer difference, I can't tell at all - not even with shift points. *Technically* there is a very small difference because I used a GPS speedo on my phone and it appeared I was going 1-2 mph faster than the speedo said, but that's not an issue to me. I think the law is to maintain within 5 mph or 10%.

Also, no rubbing at all but I know everyone's main question (mine included) is how will the larger tires affect wheel travel? Well, I'm here to tell you that there is still plenty of space between the tire and the wheel well. I actually don't think this will be an issue at all. I would like to verify this but I just got the tires today and haven't gotten a chance to get on a trail yet. Will try to update when I do.
Definitely let us know when you hit a trail! I am considering 245/65R17 as well. I have seen they don't rub when turned over, but I haven't yet seen any reviews of the 245s off-road when turned over/articulated suspension.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX

Other things aside, you can bring it into your dealer to recalibrate the speedometer. Or you can buy a module that can be used to recalibrate it yourself.

In the future when someone has broken the code for FORScan.. you an probably change it that way.

Bobby L

Outer Banks
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Audi RS5, Ford F-250

FWIW I put on a set of 235 65R18

Post a pic when able! I went with 235 65 R18 Toyo Open Country AT III’s on my stock OB wheels and zero rubbing. They are about 30.5”
was thinking of putting them on another wheel, but they are to limited at this time and can’t really find any. Maybe one by Black Rhino, but almost $300 apiece! ?

OP
OP
BamaBronco

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Other things aside, you can bring it into your dealer to recalibrate the speedometer. Or you can buy a module that can be used to recalibrate it yourself.

In the future when someone has broken the code for FORScan.. you an probably change it that way.
So I did some research on this and have not found anything definitive that says a Ford dealer is capable of doing this. Obviously you can use a recalibration tool/module or FORScan and do it yourself, but I will likely stay away from that unless Rough Country or a similar brand comes out with a module specific to the Bronco Sport.

I DID see that FCA offers a speedo recalibration (mostly for Jeeps, I'm sure) called the "Mopar Custom Calibration" and it's a $125 service at the dealership. I'm just unsure if Ford is offering something similar - but maybe they are. If you have any information on this, please post it! This would be great news for those looking to install larger tires and/or lifts.

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
sorry i know this probably won’t help much but maybe it’ll give at least the bit of insight.

although it’s hard to tell on photo, the first photo has the front passenger tire on a small embankment causing it to flex

second photo is no articulation on relatively flat ground.

this is on a badlands with 225/65/17. obviously with factory tires there was no rubbing with this articulation. but hoping maybe this will help a bit to see if 245 65 will rub on lower trims or even badlands too.

waiting for that off-road update on those toyo at3s!
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend Max Tire Size 5C76FED5-12B6-44AB-B741-DFBE3748907A
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend Max Tire Size 6C765A17-D89F-448D-864F-3C0B76D17D52

Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend Max Tire Size 7E2F4DEF-B99C-40EC-AF2D-4318232D6BF5

Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend Max Tire Size 9B9EE93C-32C8-4753-A02C-99F12257543F