Battery Tender

Jenma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 15 Mustang GT 50 yr, 22 Corsair
Has anyone hooked up a battery tender yet. I had to put one on the Mustang since it's such a power parasite. I think the BS could use one but with ALL the electronic stuff, I don't want to hurt anything. The jump start procedure doesn't say anything special.
Sponsored

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Has anyone hooked up a battery tender yet. I had to put one on the Mustang since it's such a power parasite. I think the BS could use one but with ALL the electronic stuff, I don't want to hurt anything. The jump start procedure doesn't say anything special.
Yes I have a Cen-Tech unit I have used for a few cars and on my motorcycle. Our BS was a showroom model (lots of poking/prodding unlocking, turning lights on) and that, combined with the start/stop system, cooling fans for the LED headlights running after turning it off, and the random other items you can hear activating for upwards of 30 minutes after turning your BS off, meant our battery was measuring less than 12 volts by the time it arrived in our garage. Ford also cheaped out and went with a standard battery instead of an AGM like on my motorcycle and Camaro, so I immediately popped it on a charger. I've since topped off the battery a couple times with my charger and no issues. Just follow the instructions for your charger which probably involves connecting the postive lead directly to the battery, then connecting the ground to a ground point away from the battery. If your charger has settings like mine does, here are my settings for reference: 12 Volts, 8 Amps, STD battery type.

OP
OP
Jenma

Jenma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I answered my own question. Hooked up a 750 mA battery maintainer and after a couple hours the battery was at 13.1 volts. This is the same unit I have had on the Mustang 7x24 (except when I drive) for 6 years. Still the stock battery.

I don't drive the Bronco every day so I will leave this hooked up 7x24 knowing the car can run fans and pressurize systems all it wants without worrying about the state of the battery.

Wilbur_xmas has an excellent description for using a charger (see above) but I was only looking to maintain.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
I answered my own question. Hooked up a 750 mA battery maintainer and after a couple hours the battery was at 13.1 volts. This is the same unit I have had on the Mustang 7x24 (except when I drive) for 6 years. Still the stock battery.

I don't drive the Bronco every day so I will leave this hooked up 7x24 knowing the car can run fans and pressurize systems all it wants without worrying about the state of the battery.

Wilbur_xmas has an excellent description for using a charger (see above) but I was only looking to maintain.
I was surprised to see there aren't many other threads or comments on the issue.
The new BS will mostly just standby on reserve while the "old reliable" does the greater portion of transport.
It's been a year since this thread was posted.
Any positive or negative ;) results on the use of a tender? I've had them on all previous vehicles but was curious how sensitive the Sport might be to outside charge devices.

OP
OP
Jenma

Jenma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing negative to report after a year of use.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Anybody using those solar chargers you place on the dash that have an output in the 250-350 mA range ?
The plug in the 12 volt outlet kind ?

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I sometimes go for a few days without starting mine. It even sat for 15 days while I was out of state. I get a message on the FordPass app from the Bronco that it's going into a sleep mode or something like that (don't remember the exact verbage) to conserve the battery.

Sounds fine to me.

Devil6

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Used many Battery-Tenders for many years but was never really happy with them, they just never really kept the battery charged the way I thought they should.

When the last one failed, I purchased an Optimate III, I think, at it was fantastic until I blew it by plugging it into a 220 socket.

I then purchased a NOCO and it’s great too, even 110-220v.

Many companies outperform Battery-Tender: NOCO, CTek, Victron, Schumacher, and Optimate.

OP
OP
Jenma

Jenma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have and used (7 years) both Battery Tender and NOCO brands. Not a dimes worth of difference. Volt meter verifies complete charge. None have failed.

Devil6

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
I have and used (7 years) both Battery Tender and NOCO brands. Not a dimes worth of difference. Volt meter verifies complete charge. None have failed.
From personal experience I wouldn’t waste any more time and money on anything Battery-Tender.

My last experience was a burned up battery and Battery-Tender.
The battery in my motorcycle was purchased in 2010 and maintained with an Optimate and NOCO. Battery-Tender could never do that.

Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport, 2018 Ford F150 XLT
I swear by these Ctek tenders. I have used this pretty regularly on my 2018 F-150. The battery is 5 years old now and still going strong. I just tested the battery again this week and all is good. I have only used it once on my new '23 BS with no ill effects.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-206-5-0-12-Battery-Charger/dp/B00CD44RQO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=RUDZMFI9AQDH&keywords=ctek+battery+tender&qid=1696673551&sprefix=cetek+battery,aps,90&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

Steven 6095

Big Bend
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
C-Tek keeps my garaged Mustang ready to go and I've even used it to charge / test UPS batteries. It's a decade old, has more technology than others and my Bronco will be hooked to it if the need comes.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Deltran Battery Tender Plus brand battery maintainer for over 20 years. Used one on a show '69 Corvette for many years and use one now on the BS.

Ford Bronco Sport Battery Tender 20230811_152009

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I’ve used multiple Battery Tender Jr’s on a multitude of vehicles for 20-25 years. Never an issue. Maybe I’m just lucky!
Sponsored