Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
@Administrator - Not sure where battery threads belong in the tech section, please move if necessary.

I'll be adding a dashcam to my Sport soon and was curious if the Sport had an AGM battery (since it has auto stop start). I went out and popped the hood but all I could find was the part code BHEF-48.... I did a google search but I'm not sure if this is just a plain lead acid or not. Reason I'm asking is that I'll be using extended parking modes and I'm considering a battery pack to power the dash cam in lieu of the Bronco's battery. It's my understanding that if you have an AGM battery you're just as well off tying the dashcam into the fuse block but if you have a lead acid you're better off on a dedicated battery back to minimize wear and tear on the main battery.
Sponsored

DesertRat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Chevy Colorado 4X4, 2021 Bronco Sport
AGM is also lead acid. Absorbed glass mat is simply a way to contain the acid in a mat.

I am not at all sure what you are concerned about with your cam. Regardless of the battery chemistry, the amp-hour rating determines the capacity. The CCA is the 30 second rating.

Last edited:

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Most of these cameras draw only around half an amp at 5v - which comes down to less than around .2 amp at 12v - when actively recording.

I had a Garmin 65 in my front window and a Mini in my rear of my ZR2 - with parking mode captures from vehicles passing by and such I would be able to go a week between using the truck and still have no issue cranking it up in cold weather... with a standard non-AGM battery.

In the end the draw of the accessories will wear a battery regardless - just don't let it go weeks without being started.

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
@Administrator - Not sure where battery threads belong in the tech section, please move if necessary.

I'll be adding a dashcam to my Sport soon and was curious if the Sport had an AGM battery (since it has auto stop start). I went out and popped the hood but all I could find was the part code BHEF-48.... I did a google search but I'm not sure if this is just a plain lead acid or not. Reason I'm asking is that I'll be using extended parking modes and I'm considering a battery pack to power the dash cam in lieu of the Bronco's battery. It's my understanding that if you have an AGM battery you're just as well off tying the dashcam into the fuse block but if you have a lead acid you're better off on a dedicated battery back to minimize wear and tear on the main battery.
Tip off is "EFB" marking on my Badlands BS battery. Not AGM which are typically more expensive. Too bad. AGM last a lot longer and I had start stop on 2L BMW that battery lasted almost 8 years ! Also had Solar system still going strong with AGMs after 15 years. From web...

"What's the difference between AGM and EFB batteries?
EFB technology relies on improvements to existing flooded technology through the addition of Carbon additives in the plate manufacturing process. AGM batteries benefit from the inclusion of unique design features not found in wet-flooded batteries."
Sponsored