Badlands vs. Heritage Limited for oversand (ground clearance? water fording?)

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This is all terrible news for my bank account because it's becoming very clear that I need that HL in Yellowstone ;-)
If you are entertaining the thought of purchasing a Heritage Limited, I'd check the pricing of lower level full size Bronco models as well and see what the best fit would be. MSRP wise, they aren't that far apart.
Sponsored

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Iā€™ve driven a fair amount soft desert sand in mine (not Utah level soft and fine, but finer than most California beaches). Never had to air down lower than dirt road pressures. I havenā€™t climbed any large and steep dunes though. Have heard the pseudo-lockers on the differential or PTU will give you overheating warnings if you really blast around or do a lot of climbing in sand. Badlands has water cooling on the ptu, so it takes much more before complaining in low traction situations. I think the good AWD and relatively light weight for the tire size make it pretty capable in the sand.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
This might not apply to you depending on the water situation you will drive through: As stated in an earlier post, the Water Fording spec is 23.6". But just a warning that has been noted in other postings - there is an engine control module that is going to be submerged. Itā€™s a ā€œsealedā€ module but others have found leaving submerged in water for ā€œtoo longā€ can damage the module. I donā€™t know at what depth and I donā€™t know for how long. I believe the module is mounted on the front (to the engine side of the front drivers side tire).
At 17 inches of water the engine ECU mounted just forward of driver side front tire is 100 percent under water.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Thank you, good advice, I'll watch for that. It's mostly fording big deep puddles on the road in the winter -- usually no more than a foot or so, but it can be hard to gauge how deep they are before you drive through one. šŸ˜¬
You are supposed to get out and walk it first to avoid deep surprises. I've seen only 1 youtuber actually do that. I've also seen the same drop into a hole that need his winch since he didn't take his own advice. I've been on sand twice now without airing down without issues. I have the Badlands with the Wildpeaks.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
If you are entertaining the thought of purchasing a Heritage Limited, I'd check the pricing of lower level full size Bronco models as well and see what the best fit would be. MSRP wise, they aren't that far apart.
I've build and eyeballed a 2 door Black Diamond. Without a SAS and automatic it prices about 45k if you order for msrp. The Black Diamond is a solid entry level off roader by spec.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
This is all terrible news for my bank account because it's becoming very clear that I need that HL in Yellowstone ;-)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs. Heritage Limited for oversand (ground clearance? water fording?) 5D01C4CE-25CB-4C65-A4B3-7D0659626FDD

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs. Heritage Limited for oversand (ground clearance? water fording?) 9E201C53-4815-4CD2-9758-7E2F08F8E201

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs. Heritage Limited for oversand (ground clearance? water fording?) 368CF4D4-26C6-4D6E-851D-849C1BEF3906

Itā€™s fun to get dirty and it cleans up nice!

And to add my agreement with RSH, there are some ā€˜22 Bronco Outer Banks still on the lots by us. You can get one with nice options for the price of an HLE Sport and one main benefit is ground clearance, which you stated you might need.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andi C

Andi C

Heritage
First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Heritage Limited Edition Yellowstone
Thanks -- I LOVE the big Bronco and it would be ideal on the dunes but it won't work for me in the city (where I live 8 months of the year) or on the 250-mile trip to and from the wilderness house. I need something with a good highway ride and not-terrible fuel economy that I can park on a city street.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andi C

Andi C

Heritage
First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs. Heritage Limited for oversand (ground clearance? water fording?) 5D01C4CE-25CB-4C65-A4B3-7D0659626FDD

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs. Heritage Limited for oversand (ground clearance? water fording?) 9E201C53-4815-4CD2-9758-7E2F08F8E201

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs. Heritage Limited for oversand (ground clearance? water fording?) 368CF4D4-26C6-4D6E-851D-849C1BEF3906

Itā€™s fun to get dirty and it cleans up nice!

And to add my agreement with RSH, there are some ā€˜22 Bronco Outer Banks still on the lots by us. You can get one with nice options for the price of an HLE Sport and one main benefit is ground clearance, which you stated you might need.
GORGEOUS. Yeah, I think the HLE Sport is my car, worth the cost. Can't do the big Bronco, unfortunately.

Living in the city it just wouldn't work. I can only manage one car and it has to do everything -- road trips, fit into parking spaces, etc.

Plus this color hits a nostalgic chord for me (see yellow Willys pics I posted earlier). And in the hot sun the white roof will keep the car from turning into an oven.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andi C

Andi C

Heritage
First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've build and eyeballed a 2 door Black Diamond. Without a SAS and automatic it prices about 45k if you order for msrp. The Black Diamond is a solid entry level off roader by spec.
At 17 inches of water the engine ECU mounted just forward of driver side front tire is 100 percent under water.
Good to know -- mostly I"m fording deep puddles, I'll know stay to the left side so the driver side is in the shallows.

OP
OP
Andi C

Andi C

Heritage
First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve driven a fair amount soft desert sand in mine (not Utah level soft and fine, but finer than most California beaches). Never had to air down lower than dirt road pressures. I havenā€™t climbed any large and steep dunes though. Have heard the pseudo-lockers on the differential or PTU will give you overheating warnings if you really blast around or do a lot of climbing in sand. Badlands has water cooling on the ptu, so it takes much more before complaining in low traction situations. I think the good AWD and relatively light weight for the tire size make it pretty capable in the sand.
Thanks, yes I always air down. I'm getting the sense I use the car in a different way than most in this forum. Daily use of a soft sand road over some steep dunes -- it gets chewed up with big bumps over time if we don't drive it properly. It's a bad feedback loop and you end up with a nasty ride up the steeps.

My mother uses the road too -- at 92 years old (she drives a 4-Runner) she doesn't like the bumps.

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs. Heritage Limited for oversand (ground clearance? water fording?) Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 10.50.51 AM

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Thanks, yes I always air down. I'm getting the sense I use the car in a different way than most in this forum. Daily use of a soft sand road over some steep dunes -- it gets chewed up with big bumps over time if we don't drive it properly. It's a bad feedback loop and you end up with a nasty ride up the steeps.

My mother uses the road too -- at 92 years old (she drives a 4-Runner) she doesn't like the bumps.

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs. Heritage Limited for oversand (ground clearance? water fording?) Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 10.50.51 AM
Thatā€™s why we make people air down at the refuge where I ranger. When those bumps get too bad we have a 4ā€™ I-beam with chains on the ends we hook to the back of one of our F-250ā€™s and drag around. A couple of passes and it cleans them right up.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
I just mentioned not airing down to proper sand pressures as it speaks to how well the awd works. Iā€™m usually driving a combination of sandy washes and rocky dirt, and have been able to stay at 20-25psi without struggling at all. Would definitely go lower for pure sand.

And I should clarify when I say havenā€™t hit the big dunes, the tallest ones that are open to vehicles out this way are about 400 feet. I think itā€™s that kind of dune, or driving very aggressively for a solid 15-20min that gives the 1.5L models heat problems. Not sure how long the 2.0L will go hard in the sand, but it does it all day at a reasonable speed.

OP
OP
Andi C

Andi C

Heritage
First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thatā€™s why we make people air down at the refuge where I ranger. When those bumps get too bad we have a 4ā€™ I-beam with chains on the ends we hook to the back of one of our F-250ā€™s and drag around. A couple of passes and it cleans them right up.
We do the same thing with a wood beam -- but we use a section of telephone pole. And we also have a friend who helps us out sometimes... ;-)

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs. Heritage Limited for oversand (ground clearance? water fording?) Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 12.33.54 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andi C

Andi C

Heritage
First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just mentioned not airing down to proper sand pressures as it speaks to how well the awd works. Iā€™m usually driving a combination of sandy washes and rocky dirt, and have been able to stay at 20-25psi without struggling at all. Would definitely go lower for pure sand.

And I should clarify when I say havenā€™t hit the big dunes, the tallest ones that are open to vehicles out this way are about 400 feet. I think itā€™s that kind of dune, or driving very aggressively for a solid 15-20min that gives the 1.5L models heat problems. Not sure how long the 2.0L will go hard in the sand, but it does it all day at a reasonable speed.
Whoa -- 400 feet! I can see how you would need a more powerful engine to tackle one of those. Ours are maybe 40 ft, max. We're just driving them to get groceries in town kind of thing. A few miles at a time.
Sponsored