SoCalBronc

Badlands
First Name
Vickii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW x3
Hey all! I did do a search here first and found little info that helped and am hoping you all can bear with me to help me finalize my decision on Outer Banks vs Badlands. They're wanting to convert my reservation now. My biggest dilemma between the two is the 2.0. I'm concerned the 1.5L will be sluggish which will piss me off, but maybe with newer technology, that's not a concern? I am not an off-roader, but I love the look of the vehicle. I want a "nicer" vehicle with all the lux features possible, and I do not need the additional off-road capabilities of the Badlands honestly. I placed a reservation for the BL+BL, and Im wondering if the BL package makes the interior just as "nice" as the Outer Banks. I have done an extensive comparison in as many places as I could find, and it seems the BL is missing a few features the OB has. I did a comparison at Ford.com, but in searching elsewhere, found some discrepancies. If the OB came with 2.0, that would be no question for me. Those of you who had this same dilemma: how did you choose? I currently drive an x3 xDrive, and while I'm not looking for another BMW, I do love the drive on it. I live at sea level but with lots of hills, and most all driving is freeway. It rarely rains where I live and never snows. I tend to have a lead foot, but I'm not a speed demon. I've found differing opinions: some have said the BL package still makes the interior "not as nice" as the OB, and other places have said that it's identical. THose of you who love this conversation, can you chime in please? Thank you!
Sponsored

Phillyman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mb
Hey there! I actually had to make the same decision and had to weigh my pros and cons because I love luxe features but don’t like spending unnecessary money. I’m actually coming from a Mercedes myself so I think I have a very similar situation to yours. In my opinion, I think it’s worth getting the badlands for the upgraded engine. I get that you aren’t a speed demon but that extra hp is going to be noticeable switching to a 1.5 (especially since you’re coming from a bmw). That’s not to say that it’s “sluggish”. It has enough power for what it is and your daily driving needs but it’s certainly not going to feel “fast” and I personally would miss that feeling so I opted for the badlands. Also hoping that having a car capable of more adventuring that it inspires me to do so. However because of my wanting the better options (upgraded seat material, sunroof, premium sound, etc) that means like an extra 9k for the upgraded trim and BL package. From the pictures you can tell that the seats are different. I like the look of the BL+BL seats better than the outer banks but obviously haven’t been able to feel them myself. It seems like badlands does have slightly better quality seats but don’t quote me in that - it could be purely styling. So ultimately it comes down to your money situation and personal needs. I’d recommend test driving the Ford Escape with the 1.5 liter because I believe it’s the same and will give you a good idea if that’s enough and worth the extra cash.

If you have the money - it’s worth it in my opinion.

OP
OP
SoCalBronc

SoCalBronc

Badlands
First Name
Vickii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW x3
Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. I'm only seeing a $2k difference in MSRP between the OB+OB and the BL+BL. You're saying $9k? How have you calculated that? I'm curious about the interior--where are you seeing that the leather seats are different in the BL v the OB? I do see the photos at Ford show them looking different, and I also prefer the BL look if that's what they really look like. I will say I have watched a lot of videos, and the seating has varied even in the same models, but some of us are wondering if that's because some of those vehicles in the videos and sent out for training are pre-production and not quite the finished product for sale. I've seen some OB with a brown/black combined with a grey suede/felt insert, and some brown/black with a tan suede insert...if the interior is much nicer on the OB, I'll go with the OB, but even the dealer couldn't give me a straight answer. It seemed I knew a lot more about the vehicle than he did.

OP
OP
SoCalBronc

SoCalBronc

Badlands
First Name
Vickii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW x3
Here's one video that shows OB interior....see the grey addition to the brown/black? That isnt shown at the Ford site, and I don't like it at all like this.

OP
OP
SoCalBronc

SoCalBronc

Badlands
First Name
Vickii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW x3
The BL+BL interior is nice. The 2k difference isn’t felt as much over time if you’re financing as much as feeling the difference in hp will be. I see the decision ultimately coming down to obviously which engine you want but which wheels, grill, and seats do you prefer. Other than that, they are almost identical.. except the badlands has more off-road equipment and tech
I actually don’t care about the $2k difference. With either, I would do the extra package. I do prefer the OB wheels, and it seems the OB has more tech than BL. I really am hesitant about the 1.5 3cyl though. Other than that, the OB is perfect for me.
Since you seem to feel confident about the interior, do you happen to have it confirmed that the BL package leather is the same as the OB leather? In other forums, people are saying the photos at Ford are not updated, and based on videos, I’m seeing conflicts.

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
I've debated the same decision. I prefer the style of the OB wheels but I am not crazy about the cloth leather combo of the OB seats, at least the versions I have seen. I have test driven the Escape with both the 1.5 and 2 litre. Honestly my initial reaction with the 2 L was underwhelming but then I did not try to push it. Just normal driving. With the 1.5L I felt the opposite. It had some low end punch and did not feel lack lustre. Having said all that I am still not sure which one I will ultimate buy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoCalBronc

SoCalBronc

Badlands
First Name
Vickii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW x3
It’s not the same leather. To me, it seems the only tech that the OB has that the BL doesn’t is the rain sensing wipers. Here’s some pics confirming.

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision 24A82E86-BCA0-495F-A669-68B1BF8A9EF4
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision AE8A3532-6B16-44AF-B41F-65A8165C7682
Exactly! So which is which? I have seen what's at Ford.com, but the bottom photo...I like that interior the best, but in videos, I've seen that middle photo that looks like leather plus a type of felt? THat's not shown at the website. Which is which? Thanks! I appreciate you helping.

Phillyman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mb
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision 0DAD8ABA-833D-43E3-A82F-920EAA9C8668
these ones are the BL+BL seats. The others that I didn’t reattached are the outer banks. Apologies about the price dif - was going from memory and forgot about the OBX package cost.

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Omg, bottom is BL+BL. The BL + BL is ebony/brown only - yes with suede at the top portion. The Gray is on the OB or FE (navy only), not sure if it's cloth of some sort or suede?? Dunno. I have not seen any photos/videos that contradicts this, but yes ford's site with cgi photos, appear different (shining, gloss, not accurately depicting cloth/suede). The OB ebony/brown with gray looks nice, apparently they chose this but just the Navy Pier on the FE, wonder if it's nicer, more comfortable, higher price. Meh.

Either way, if you're on the fence, (minus wheels, style) either save the coin or go with 2.0. You say you don't care about coin, then seems your preference for seats is the factor....top OB, bottom BL. Sounds like you're leaning 2.0. and Badlands interior, if so easy choice, right? :) BL + BL

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/a-good-look-at-navy-pier-interior-in-the-bronco-sport.1273/

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
Hey all! I did do a search here first and found little info that helped and am hoping you all can bear with me to help me finalize my decision on Outer Banks vs Badlands. They're wanting to convert my reservation now. My biggest dilemma between the two is the 2.0. I'm concerned the 1.5L will be sluggish which will piss me off, but maybe with newer technology, that's not a concern? I am not an off-roader, but I love the look of the vehicle. I want a "nicer" vehicle with all the lux features possible, and I do not need the additional off-road capabilities of the Badlands honestly. I placed a reservation for the BL+BL, and Im wondering if the BL package makes the interior just as "nice" as the Outer Banks. I have done an extensive comparison in as many places as I could find, and it seems the BL is missing a few features the OB has. I did a comparison at Ford.com, but in searching elsewhere, found some discrepancies. If the OB came with 2.0, that would be no question for me. Those of you who had this same dilemma: how did you choose? I currently drive an x3 xDrive, and while I'm not looking for another BMW, I do love the drive on it. I live at sea level but with lots of hills, and most all driving is freeway. It rarely rains where I live and never snows. I tend to have a lead foot, but I'm not a speed demon. I've found differing opinions: some have said the BL package still makes the interior "not as nice" as the OB, and other places have said that it's identical. THose of you who love this conversation, can you chime in please? Thank you!
Same decision here. I also drive BMW, X1. On flat roads either is fine. For a lot of hills where you'll stress any engines definitely the 2L BL. I prefer cloth seats so I went with standard BL. Would have gone with OB if they offered 2L. Reviews on Escape with same 1.5L are often city roads. On forum people who have driven on hilly roads have a better opinion of 2L over 1.5L.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Just a comment on grey (cool) and tans (warm) mixed. I first saw this on the 2nd gen ('08-'12) Escapes, and was not a fan. I do like two tones within the same color family, they compliment each other. Here is an example of the 2nd generation Escape I mentioned:

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision Escape Interior.JPG

What are everyone else's thoughts on mixing greys and earth tones?

I'm only posting this as it may be relevant to your decision. One of the BS photos in the thread appear to show greys and earth tones mixed:

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision Bronco Interior.JPG

OP
OP
SoCalBronc

SoCalBronc

Badlands
First Name
Vickii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW x3
Just a comment on grey (cool) and tans (warm) mixed. I first saw this on the 2nd gen ('08-'12) Escapes, and was not a fan. I do like two tones within the same color family, they compliment each other. Here is an example of the 2nd generation Escape I mentioned:

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision Escape Interior.JPG

What are everyone else's thoughts on mixing greys and earth tones?

I'm only posting this as it may be relevant to your decision. One of the BS photos in the thread appear to show greys and earth tones mixed:

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision Bronco Interior.JPG

OP
OP
SoCalBronc

SoCalBronc

Badlands
First Name
Vickii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW x3
I like two tone when well done. One of the problems that I see happening is that I don’t think the pictures at four.com are particularly good, and based on videos I’ve been seeing, I’m not even sure they’re updated. I have seen videos that show a black brown leather combined with some sort of gray felt for the Outer Banks, and I thought it looked really shitty. But I’ve seen black and brown leather combined, and I thought it looked really good. But once it added in that gray, it wasn’t good. If you read some of my comments above, I talk about that. I wonder if you’ve also seen those videos. These photos you’re referencing right now, I’m not so sure that’s grey. I think that’s black though because it’s perforated it looks lighter? Honestly I’m not sure. I am feeling hesitant about this interior because different videos have shown different ones. And when I asked the salesman, he didn’t actually know. I would kind of like to know what it looks like before I finalize my order. I realize the videos could be showing pre-production models and so they would not be the final product we would receive, but I think we need to know.

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
BL Back and Front, OB Front and Back. I was the same way as I had FE reservation, but then the material combo of OB grew on me, unfortunately the Navy Pier did not. But the off road capabilities is a must for me, I like the ebony/brown...however the OB ebony/brown with gray...eye catching IMO.

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision bl1

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision bl2

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision ob1

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision ob2

OP
OP
SoCalBronc

SoCalBronc

Badlands
First Name
Vickii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW x3
BL Back and Front, OB Front and Back. I was the same way as I had FE reservation, but then the material combo of OB grew on me, unfortunately the Navy Pier did not. But the off road capabilities is a must for me, I like the ebony/brown...however the OB ebony/brown with gray...eye catching IMO.

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision bl1

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision bl2

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision ob1

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands v Outer Banks decision ob2
Great shots. Thank you. The thing is, how do we know what the interiors really look like? Because that additional gray felt-like material that looks like in the OB, that’s not how it looks at the website. I have seen video of the Broncs with that interior, but the option at ford.com does not look like that.
Sponsored