Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport, 2018 Ford F150 XLT
I'm 68 and my dealer experience was hell. Thieves, con men, and bullies.
Sponsored

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I'm 79 and have bought many new cars over the years. I believe knowledge is power. Do your homework. Know exactly which model and options you want. This will let you know what the MSRP of the vehicle you want will be. If you have a trade-in, check several appraisal sites on the web to get some approximate values for your trade. Once you know these figures head to your dealer. I'm very lucky because I have about 10 different Ford + Lincoln dealers in my immediate (25mi) area. You have to shop. Of my last 9 new Ford and Lincoln vehicles only 2 were purchased from the same dealer. I'll admit my situation is different from most buyers. I always order my vehicles to get the exact options and color I want. I'm lucky enough to be able to pay cash and don't have to monkey around with the dealer financing. I guess the bottom line is this. Know what you want and shop around. If your not happy with your dealer offer, try others.

Alfa 2407

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I agree with all the above, and had I known better at the time I would have

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
As a nearly 60 year individual, I can tell you that since the beginning of cars, they always market the cars to younger people. You can sell a younger image car to an older person, but you can't sell an older image car to a younger person (or many older people either) ;)
It used to be that Cadillac marketed the older crowd for their cars....now it's drug lords and pimps.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
27, and worked my absolute tail off to be in a place where I could order a Badlands with all the bells and whistles.

I grew up in a financially challenged household since my dad passed when I was young. First in my family to go to college, moved away from home at 17. Worked full time during undergrad and took three unpaid research internships too. Got a full ride to graduate school. Earned the most competitive government fellowship in the country in 2021 and fast-tracked to a leadership position with the Forest Service straight after getting my master's. Bought my Sport in October and my first home in March! Hard work pays off. 💪
Amen.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
It used to be that Cadillac marketed the older crowd for their cars....now it's drug lords and pimps.
That's stereotyping, but based on observation, back in the 60's on the south side of Chicago, Caddy's were the favorite ride of drug lords and pimps. They were easily identified by porterwall (wide white wall) tires, curb feelers on all corners, fur interior, and the fake radio telephone antenna on the trunk. They were frequently seen in the parking lot of Warshawsky & Co. That's was the retail store for the ever popular J.C. Whitney mail order car parts.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
That's stereotyping, but based on observation, back in the 60's on the south side of Chicago, Caddy's were the favorite ride of drug lords and pimps. They were easily identified by porterwall (wide white wall) tires, curb feelers on all corners, fur interior, and the fake radio telephone antenna on the trunk. They were frequently seen in the parking lot of Warshawsky & Co. That's was the retail store for the ever popular J.C. Whitney mail order car parts.
J.C. Whitney...are they still around?

That brings back memories of waiting (forever) for a part ordered through them.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
J.C. Whitney...are they still around?

That brings back memories of waiting (forever) for a part ordered through them.
No, they are long gone...bankrupt many years ago. An Internet search for J.C. Whitney gets you to carparts.com, located in Peru Illinois.
No more triple chrome plated hood ornaments and bumper parts. One of Dad's favorite winter pasttimes was easing back into his recliner paging through the J.C. Whitney (or Warshawsky & Co.) catalog for entertainment. The catalogs were identical. A great loss of part of 50s and 60s American culture.
I can remember many times standing around with Dad, waiting for my Dad's "Will Call" order for shock absorbers, or brakes pads, or a muffler, or exhaust pipe, or brake master cylinder, to be filled. Mr. Warshawsky would always be standing around near the front door.

Last edited:

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
I am 65 & my wife is 62. We both own it but it is my wife's ride.
Sponsored