Are these 4 noises normal for the Bronco Sport with 1.5L? (VIDEO)

BroncoOBX621

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
So I want to start by saying I know NOTHING about cars, so please be patient with my ignorance. This is my first Ford product, so maybe I'm just not used to it. I've been reading about everyone elses “noises” on this forum and mine seems to be doing all of them based on how they have been described here, so naturally I'm concerned now.

My Situation: I have a Bronco Sport Outer Banks with 1,800 miles and a build date of 5/20/21. I mainly drive 25-55mph commute, no highway. Has been making these sounds since Day 1, and are becoming more frequent and louder. No error codes or messages.

So here are the 4 noises I'm now concerned about after reading here:

1. The low pitched electronic “BRRRRRRT” sound coming from the drivers side dash when coasting at low speeds or driving at parking lot speeds. Varies in loudness. It's pretty consistent and starting to do it at higher speeds.

2. A distinct rattling sound coming from the drivers side dash when driving at a near constant speed of around 25 mph. Varies in loudness. It stops as soon as I take my foot of the gas pedal or if I speed up. Its starting to do it infrequently at speeds up to 45, but very consistent around 25 mph. It sounds EXACTLY like a jackhammer, no exaggeration there. For some reason my camera doesn't pick up the sound as loud as it is in person. Every passenger I've had in the vehicle thus far gets concerned when they hear this noise start up.

3. A grinding and clicking sound coming from the drivers side dash when I go from gas to brake, brake to gas, speeding up from a constant speed, and when turning. It does not do this consistently, but the entire time I'm driving, this noise is happening on and off. I think it might be the “shovel to pavement” noise others have mentioned on this forum. It does this noise A LOT. For example, I drive 15 min (5 miles) to the grocery store, and hear this sound approximately 15-25 times within that 15 min depending on how many times I have to slow down for traffic and red lights.

4. Hissing/buzzing Locust-type sound associated with the gas pedal. Whenever I push the gas pedal the car makes an electronic hissing sound similar to that of a locust in the summer. It is not the turbo sound, as I hear that too. It does this the entire time my foot is on the pedal.

I've taken it in and was told all of this is normal, but judging by how many others here are concerned about the same noises/had their trans replaced already, I'm second guessing. I have a coworker with an OBX and she says hers is silent. Are these noises just normal for some of the sports? Could anyone let me know if theirs also makes these sounds or not? If yours makes these sounds, do you know of any fixes or where they are coming from? If these noises are normal, could someone help me understand whats causing them?

I've only ever driven Dodge/Jeep, and although they were always 3 gallons of problems in a 1 gallon bucket, I never once heard any such noises coming from the dash—but I also understand it's a completely different product and this may be normal for Fords. Basically I'm looking for someone to ease my mind if these are all normal operating sounds for this model, or give me some guidance if there's actually an issue. I apologize if I'm just being paranoid. Attached is a video with all the sounds included and labeled in case anyone is able to help or wants to compare noises.

Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Houseof7th

Badlands
First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
So I want to start by saying I know NOTHING about cars, so please be patient with my ignorance. This is my first Ford product, so maybe I'm just not used to it. I've been reading about everyone elses “noises” on this forum and mine seems to be doing all of them based on how they have been described here, so naturally I'm concerned now.

My Situation: I have a Bronco Sport Outer Banks with 1,800 miles and a build date of 5/20/21. I mainly drive 25-55mph commute, no highway. Has been making these sounds since Day 1, and are becoming more frequent and louder. No error codes or messages.

1. The low pitched electronic “BRRRRRRT” sound coming from the drivers side dash when coasting at low speeds or driving at parking lot speeds. Varies in loudness. It's pretty consistent and starting to do it at higher speeds.

2. A distinct rattling sound coming from the drivers side dash when driving at a near constant speed of around 25 mph. Varies in loudness. It stops as soon as I take my foot of the gas pedal or if I speed up. Its starting to do it infrequently at speeds up to 45, but very consistent around 25 mph. It sounds EXACTLY like a jackhammer, no exaggeration there. For some reason my camera doesn't pick up the sound as loud as it is in person. Every passenger I've had in the vehicle thus far gets concerned when they hear this noise start up.

3. A grinding and clicking sound coming from the drivers side dash when I go from gas to brake, brake to gas, speeding up from a constant speed, and when turning. It does not do this consistently, but the entire time I'm driving, this noise is happening on and off. I think it might be the “shovel to pavement” noise others have mentioned on this forum. It does this noise A LOT. For example, I drive 15 min (5 miles) to the grocery store, and hear this sound approximately 15-25 times within that 15 min depending on how many times I have to slow down for traffic and red lights.

4. Hissing/buzzing Locust-type sound associated with the gas pedal. Whenever I push the gas pedal the car makes an electronic hissing sound similar to that of a locust in the summer. It is not the turbo sound, as I hear that too. It does this the entire time my foot is on the pedal.

I've taken it in and was told all of this is normal, but judging by how many others here are concerned about the same noises/had their trans replaced already, I'm second guessing. I have a coworker with an OBX and she says hers is silent. Are these noises just normal for some of the sports? Could anyone let me know if theirs also makes these sounds or not? If yours makes these sounds, do you know of any fixes or where they are coming from? If these noises are normal, could someone help me understand whats causing them?

I've only ever driven Dodge/Jeep, and although they were always 3 gallons of problems in a 1 gallon bucket, I never once heard any such noises coming from the dash—but I also understand it's a completely different product and this may be normal for Fords. Basically I'm looking for someone to ease my mind if these are all normal operating sounds for this model, or give me some guidance if there's actually an issue. I apologize if I'm just being paranoid. Attached is a video with all the sounds included and labeled in case anyone is able to help or wants to compare noises.

Take it in and get it checked.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Since you have taken it in find another dealer and revisit.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
The low pitched electronic “BRRRRRRT” sound coming from the drivers side dash when coasting at low speeds or driving at parking lot speeds. Varies in loudness. It's pretty consistent and starting to do it at higher speeds.
Your video is the best example I've heard. My Big Bend with an earlier build date also makes that noise and it seems to be occurring more frequently, e.g., doesn't need to be warmed up to make the noise.

The first dealer I took it to a few months ago said it was 'normal' and that Ford just makes transmissions with loud pumps, citing late model F-150s. Thing is, the Sport's transmission isn't a new design, and Ford hasn't released any service bulletins for the Escape describing these transmission noises as 'characteristic,' whereas Ford did release such a bulletin for the F-150.

I'm bringing it in next month to a different and larger dealership for a more thorough diagnoses.

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
I will refer you to thread "On this Episode of is this noise normal"

Noise 1 and 3 - I hate to say it but probably your transmission. Myself and others have had transmissions replaced. See the above referenced thread.

Noise 4 - Probably the park release cable. There is a TSB about this. The fix should be out soon. I had a park release cable replaced. Was better but didn't totally fix it. This was done before the TSB was issued so tech didn't know replacing would not fix. I just disconnected my park release cable and it "fixed" the problem until Ford comes out with the official fix.

Some of the noises are a normal characteristic of the 3 cylinder. These are especially apparent at lower speeds. Once up to normal highway speeds its fine.

I would take it to different dealer have it checked. My advice is insist on a ride along with tech or service writer. Turn off radio and HVAC. Demonstrate the noise(s) to make sure on the same page. If the dealer happens to have new one on the lot ask to drive it to compare.

Last edited:

OP
OP

BroncoOBX621

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
T
I will refer you to thread "On this Episode of is this noise normal"

Noise 1 and 3 - I hate to say it but probably your transmission. Myself and others have had transmissions replaced. See the above referenced thread.

Noise 4 - Probably the park release cable. There is a TSB about this. The fix should be out soon. I had a park release cable replaced. Was better but didn't totally fix it. This was done before the TSB was issued so tech didn't know replacing would not fix. I just disconnected my park release cable and it "fixed" the problem until Ford comes out with the official fix.

Some of the noises are a normal characteristic of the 3 cylinder. These are especially apparent at lower speeds. Once up to normal highway speeds its fine.

I would take it to different dealer have it checked. My advice is insist on a ride along with tech or service writer. Turn off radio and HVAC. Demonstrate the noise(s) to make sure on the same page. If the dealer happens to have new one on the lot ask to drive it to compare.
Thank you for your response. Yes, that's the thread I was reading through when I started getting concerned, sounded exactly like my BS. Not good news, I had a feeling it was probably trans related. Looks like I'll be making a call to service again.

OP
OP

BroncoOBX621

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Your video is the best example I've heard. My Big Bend with an earlier build date also makes that noise and it seems to be occurring more frequently, e.g., doesn't need to be warmed up to make the noise.

The first dealer I took it to a few months ago said it was 'normal' and that Ford just makes transmissions with loud pumps, citing late model F-150s. Thing is, the Sport's transmission isn't a new design, and Ford hasn't released any service bulletins for the Escape describing these transmission noises as 'characteristic,' whereas Ford did release such a bulletin for the F-150.

I'm bringing it in next month to a different and larger dealership for a more thorough diagnoses.
This is exactly what I was thinking too....why isn't the Escape having these noises? My gut tells me something is definitely wrong. Please keep me updated with what the other dealer says after they take a look at it.

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
....why isn't the Escape having these noises?
Part of the reason is supposedly the BS has different design NVH tolerances compared to the Escape. Less insulation, etc. Also the design of the vehicle plays a role. The big boxy engine compartment of the BS acts like resonance chamber. Noises will get amplified.

Deleted member 6961

Any updates on your experience? Thanks!

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Has dealer looked at Park Release Cable TSB? Disconnect cable from trans see if noise goes away that what TSB instructs dealer to do. Has that been done yet?
Sponsored