Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
  • Banned
My thoughts on this Baby Bronc:
( Base model In Shadow Black)
928 miles in my first month of ownership, that's about average each month with no road trips.
My 1.5L has broken In a bit or the computer has learned how to please me, not sure, A.I. is like that.

1st:
The Auto stop/start I decided to leave alone and it has blended into my driving with no problems.
I am never In heavy traffic.
I have learned that IF I might want a fast take off I ease up on the brake pedal without letting the vehicle move and it starts up for me, then I can press the brake back down and It will continue running. I have to cross 3 or 4 mph to reset this stop start sequence.

2nd:
Eco mode Is the only mode where the engine can shut down one of the three cylinders I think.
I am hoping someone enlightens me on this.

I never notice it when in any other drive mode only Eco.
Anyway when this happens I can just barely feel it in the steering wheel.
It makes the engine feel doggy but holds speed In cruise control just fine.
I do not see any fuel savings using ECO but have only used it on one tank so I am not closing the book on ECO but so far I'll pass and stay In the 'Normal' drive mode. If I could notice a fuel savings of even 1 mpg I'd use it more. Time will tell on that one.

3rd:
Sport mode, Ok that's fun, Love the shift points a bit higher up the tac when I'm In the switch backs. I don't drive hard when I do this, I drive tight. I never push this engine, never will.

4th: The Gravel climb up to my house has a three way Intersection half way up. I go on up and can see up. But when I take the left to go down and around I am pointed up so far I cannot see over the hood enough to see an approaching car or someone walking. We have a Big Convex
Mirror there and it helps but still I creep through that spot.

5th:
I keep screwing up my trip meters and average mpg's. I seem to have a thing for resetting too much. I erased my long term average mpg today, no biggie, I'll get it right one day, hey I'm and Old Fart what can I say.

Last but not least:
* The LED head lights are fantastic ! Let there be Light ! I can see !!!
( My 2004 Escape has old school candles out front, they suck.)
* My Wipers front and rear are silent ! That's a first for me.
* This Base model handles great rides great and tracking is fantastic ! It steers exactly where
I want It to go, No wandering ! (The Tires need 33 psi cold no more and no less)
* Seats are great, control placement Is just right for me.

After one month I am still 100% happy with This Ford.
Ok I'm done.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks for the writeup. I have a few more miles than you but I absolutely love mine as well.

A few questions:
Do you ever have to use slippery or sand modes when going up the gravel incline? How steep is the incline? Is it loose or packed gravel?

Really just interested in the off-road capabilities of any trim other than a BL or FE (even though most gravel roads aren't really "off-road" :p). I'm looking forward to testing my BB a little at some point to see what it can do.

OP
OP
Osco

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Thanks for the writeup. I have a few more miles than you but I absolutely love mine as well.

A few questions:
Do you ever have to use slippery or sand modes when going up the gravel incline? How steep is the incline? Is it loose or packed gravel?

Really just interested in the off-road capabilities of any trim other than a BL or FE (even though most gravel roads aren't really "off-road" :p). I'm looking forward to testing my BB a little at some point to see what it can do.
I don't know much But My sales man said not to use sand mode on gravel. He said sand was for deep stuff the tires sink Into. Owners manual verified this.
Slippery mode does make a difference for me when things are wet and my Georgia clay comes through the gravel in the corners. Those spots are hard to walk on but I don't sink in much.
The Gravel Is called road Bond #57, stones are marble to golf ball size, not round just all different
shapes. the Bond is crusher, gets super dusty when dry.

The Biggest thing ALL the vehicles must do when going up when Its really dry is use LOW gear.
Even I do that, You can easily feel how much less the drive train and engine is working with a few hundred extra RPM's on tap at 5 to 10 mph.
Most of the FWD's and the few RWD's climb best at 8 to 10 mph, any more and they bounce and dig. then grind to a halt.
The AWD's like the Subaru's and Toyota's climb best here at 5 to 10 mph. They all do ok, no problems.

The funny part is only the True 4X4's can crawl up at 1 or 2 or 3 mph.
In low I can with ease :p
Unlike the true 4X4's I don't have anything to unlock so I don't rip up the turns.
(Inside wheel turning at the same speed as the outside digs on the inside)
I have the base model not the 7 mode Goat and It's all I need.

As for me going true off road,, not with these OEM Continental Hwy tires.
Oh I forgot, They are called ALL Season.~:p
I'll drive these down 10 or 12,000 miles and replace with decent AT's

FWIW, My beater is a 2004 AWD Escape V-6 and It climbed everything up here
just fine with all season tires, then The Rotary Blade coupler failed and a replacement cannot be found even from ford, no longer made. super expensive Install so no used parts, Can't tell if it works until underload , this makes my Escape a FWD from now on.
I put some good AT's on the front, It Climbs pretty good and Is My Ice road beater.

Last edited:

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The Biggest thing ALL the vehicles must do when going up when Its really dry is use LOW gear.
Even I do that, You can easily feel how much less the drive train and engine is working with a few hundred extra RPM's are on tap.
Most of the FWD's and the few RWD's climb at 10 mph,, any more and they bounce and dig. then grind to a halt.
The AWD's like the Subaru's and Toyota's climb best here at 5 to 10 mph

The funny part is only the True 4X4's can crawl up at 1 or 2 or 3 mph.
In low I can with ease :p
Unlike the true 4X4's I don't have anything to unlock so I don't rip up the turns.
(Inside wheel turning at the same speed as the outside digs on the inside)
I have the base model not the 7 mode Goat and It's all I need.
This is good info, thanks for sharing!

As for me going true off road,, not with these OEM Continental Hwy tires.
Oh I forgot, They are called ALL Season.~:p
I'll drive these down 10 or 12,000 miles and replace with decent AT's
I actually just got new Toyo Open Country ATIII's so I'm good to go on that front!

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
928 miles in my first month of ownership, that's about average each month with no road trips.
My 1.5L has broken In a bit or the computer has learned how to please me, not sure, A.I. is like that.

1st:
The Auto stop/start I decided to leave alone and it has blended into my driving with no Issues or
Intrusion as far as I'm concerned. Again I am never In heavy traffic.
I have learned that IF I might want a fast take off I ease up on the brake and it starts up for me,
then I can press the brake back down and It will continue running. I have to cross 6 mph to reset this stop start sequence.

2nd:
Eco mode Is the only mode where engine can shut down one of the three cylinders I think.

I do not see any fuel savings using ECO but have only used it on one tank so I am not
closing the book on ECO but so far I'll pass and stay In the 'Normal' drive mode. If I could notice
a fuel savings of even 1 mpg I'd use it more. Time will tell on that one.

3rd:
Sport mode, Ok that's fun, Love the shift points a bit higher up the tac when I'm In the switch backs. I don't drive hard when I do this, I drive tight. I never push this engine, never will.

4th: The Gravel climb up to my house has a three way Intersection half way up. I go on up and can see up. But when I take the left to go down and around I am pointed up so far I cannot see over the hood enough to see an approaching car or someone walking. We have a Big Convex

5th:
I keep screwing up my trip meters and average mpg's. I seem to have a thing for resetting too much. I erased my long term average mpg today, no biggie, I'll get it right one day, hey I'm and Old Fart what can I say.

Last but not least:
* This Base model handles great rides great and tracking is fantastic ! It steers exactly where
I want It to go, No wandering ! (The Tires need 33 psi cold no more and no less)

Ok I'm done.
Regarding the 4th item, would the front trail cam on the badlands help you?

OP
OP
Osco

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Regarding the 4th item, would the front trail cam on the badlands help you?
Yes but It's only that one spot that causes me a prob. so not worth the expense.
I just sit up forward and go really slow, plus If I remember to stay far left I can look out the passenger side window.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Great feedback & info! One question? When you refer to using “low” in your base model, what are you referring to?
On the transmission shifter, there is a "Low" gear selection. In drive, you can press the 'L' in the middle and you will be in the lowest gear.

Ford Bronco Sport Approaching 1,000 miles. My thoughts on this Baby Bronc 1611322156463

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
I love your insight Osco. I'm jealous you get to climb up some dirt roads to your house every day. It is cool to hear about you using the other modes. I haven't used any of my goat modes yet. I just keep forgetting to engage them

I hit 1,100 miles today as well. I got mine in early January. It's been doing wonderful! The drivetrain is very smooth and it does great in slippery conditions. The short wheelbase does make it a little less stable when it's straight ice but the 4wd lock setting helps keep the rear end from wobbling. I drove through a lot more snow this weekend. I even did some donuts in the parking lot at the ski area. It's doesn't like to donuts very easily because the torque vectoring system engages even with traction control off. Next round of donuts ill tries locking the rear. This 4wd system is amazing. It doesn't cut power as much, unlike my previous car.
If you ask me questions I can answer them about my Badlands. I stink at coming up with stuff to talk about. Osco seems to really know his nuts and bolts so maybe ask him instead lol

OP
OP
Osco

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm no mechanic but I did grow up working on cars. Installed a few hot cams and holly 4 barrels back in the day, head gaskets, Hooker headders and traction bars n such. I've logged 3.2 million miles as a commercial driver. Saw engine blocks for stock cars get burried in the florida sand for a few years after they were cooked in a furnace so they'd cure harder then watch how a guy set crank and rod bearings by hand by feel. Took him about a day for each one, about two weeks just for the piston rods in a V-8.
Five years was In West Germany during the Regan years driving Mercedes tractor trailers for Uncle sam. Rented some bad to the bone porches and had love affair with those cars on the Autobahn, at Silly speeds :p
My tech knowledge is mostly out of date but I will say it's very important WHO works on your car these days and what parts and fluids goes in them.

Last edited:

frk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru

1st:
The Auto stop/start I decided to leave alone and it has blended into my driving with no Issues or
Intrusion as far as I'm concerned. Again I am never In heavy traffic.
I have learned that IF I might want a fast take off I ease up on the brake and it starts up for me,
then I can press the brake back down and It will continue running. I have to cross 6 mph to reset this stop start sequence.

2nd:
Eco mode Is the only mode where engine can shut down one of the three cylinders I think.

I do not see any fuel savings using ECO but have only used it on one tank so I am not
closing the book on ECO but so far I'll pass and stay In the 'Normal' drive mode. If I could notice
a fuel savings of even 1 mpg I'd use it more. Time will tell on that one.

3rd:

5th:

Last but not least:

Ok I'm done.
Thanks for all the impressions. I'm very curious too about your 2nd point - if the cylinder deactivation only happens in Eco mode. And I assume the BS always starts up in Normal mode regardless of last mode used - correct?

Clarebear

Badlands
First Name
Clare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...future owner of Bronco Sport
Anxiously awaiting our build (Badlands with Badlands package). Dealership said March.

Sher

Big Bend
First Name
Sherri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Hey! I was wondering how to put in 4W lock that you speak of? This is my 1st 4WD vehicle & I didn’t see an option to put into 4W & my dealership said it was automatic 4WD, thanks!

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
Hey! I was wondering how to put in 4W lock that you speak of? This is my 1st 4WD vehicle & I didn’t see an option to put into 4W & my dealership said it was automatic 4WD, thanks!
The 4 wheel lock is only on the Badlands and First Edition. All other trims you have to turst that it goes 4wd when needed.
Sponsored