Anyone Use a Lockout Key?

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I always kept a spare key in a magnetic key box hidden under the chassis somewhere, just in case I got locked out.
The BS is a little more complicated due to needing the Intelligent Access key to start the engine, even after using the mechanical key blade to open the driver's door.

This is what I plan to do, let me know if this makes sense or if there's a better way.
  • Buy another Intelligent Access key from Amazon
  • Have a locksmith cut a blank mechanical key blade to match my existing key blade & store it in the magnetic key box
  • Program the new Intelligent Access key using the two original Intelligent Access keys
  • Remove the battery from the new Intelligent Access key rendering it passive. It will start the BS but only when placed directly into the hidden "backup slot" (see manual p156)
  • Store the passive Intelligent Access key in the glove box or somewhere in the vehicle.
In the event of a lockout, just use the hidden key blade to physically open the driver's door. Then use the passive Intelligent Access key to start the vehicle when placed into the backup slot.
Sponsored

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
If you have intelligent access, do you not also have securi code then? Using that might save a step in having to keep a blank in a magnet box. Of course that means you have to rely on electronics to some degree then. But if youā€™re that dead in the water would the passive intelligent key in the slot even work? I suppose it must.

I really like that idea actually, I never wouldā€™ve thought of keeping a battery less intelligent key in the car.

OP
OP
Econoline

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One problem I foresee is a dead 12v battery such that intelligent access won't work. I think a mechanical door key would be required to open the driver's door and release the hood to charge the battery.

BTW, I did remove the CR2450 battery from an Intelligent Access key, and it does become passive. It has zero range but the car will start when it's placed in the backup slot. I'm going to ask a locksmith tomorrow to make me a thin emergency key for the magnetic box.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I was always afraid of ice or mud knocking the magnetic holder off the bottom of the vehicle.

Probably should re-read the manual so I see how this works.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I always kept a spare key in a magnetic key box hidden under the chassis somewhere, just in case I got locked out.
The BS is a little more complicated due to needing the Intelligent Access key to start the engine, even after using the mechanical key blade to open the driver's door.

This is what I plan to do, let me know if this makes sense or if there's a better way.
  • Buy another Intelligent Access key from Amazon
  • Have a locksmith cut a blank mechanical key blade to match my existing key blade & store it in the magnetic key box
  • Program the new Intelligent Access key using the two original Intelligent Access keys
  • Remove the battery from the new Intelligent Access key rendering it passive. It will start the BS but only when placed directly into the hidden "backup slot" (see manual p156)
  • Store the passive Intelligent Access key in the glove box or somewhere in the vehicle.
In the event of a lockout, just use the hidden key blade to physically open the driver's door. Then use the passive Intelligent Access key to start the vehicle when placed into the backup slot.
That seems like completely unnecessary overkill.

If the absolute worst situation you described happened, you locked the keys inside and then the battery went 100% dead, then having the extra IA key doesn't matter because the car wouldn't start anyhow. So all you really are looking for in that case is the keyblade to open the hood and work. In other words, the extra keyblade is useless when the battery works and the extra IA fob is useless when it doesn't.

If you were prone to losing your main IA key or leaving it someplace and wanted the extra pair onboard, then it might be of use? If I was going to do that, I would probably put the lockbox up above the rear bumper. There's a sheet metal tab hanging down over the tailpipe that already has a hole in it. So that would be a good spot if you used a regular shackle style key lockbox, or one you could ziptie/bolt to the vehicle. Magnets are pretty strong, but attached is even better.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I guess if you can't keep track of your FOB this might be worth the effort but... seems like overkill to me. If I'm leaving the car and won't have the FOB safely in my pocket like at the beach or on a hike, I just leave it in the BS and use the keypad or my phone to lock/unlock the door. If the battery is dead I don't see any reason to get into the car since it can't go anywhere.

Maybe sticking an Apple Tracker on your FOB is easier and cheaper... unless you lose your phone too.:frown:

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
One problem I foresee is a dead 12v battery such that intelligent access won't work. I think a mechanical door key would be required to open the driver's door and release the hood to charge the battery.

BTW, I did remove the CR2032 battery from an Intelligent Access key, and it does become passive. It has zero range but the car will start when it's placed in the backup slot. I'm going to ask a locksmith tomorrow to make me a thin emergency key for the magnetic box.
If your cutting a key, get a flat one and stick it in your wallet if you're that worried.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
So this may be a good question then. How does intelligent access actually work? Because I havenā€™t totally figured it out yet. Will it actually let you lock your keys in the car (the typical scenario for keeping a magnet box hidden on the car)? Iā€™ve never tried, but usually have both fobs going (one in a bag & one in my pocket). So I wonder if thatā€™s why the car refuses initially to lock when I try the thumb print on the door handle though I have a fob in my pocket perhaps itā€™s detecting one in the car? Now Iā€˜ll have to watch what Iā€™m actually doing & know whether Iā€™ve left a fob in the car or have only the one in my pocket to watch what the car is doing. And try at home when I have the other fob in the house, to lock a fob in the car ā€˜accidentallyā€™ & see what happens.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I guess if you can't keep track of your FOB this might be worth the effort but... seems like overkill to me. If I'm leaving the car and won't have the FOB safely in my pocket like at the beach or on a hike, I just leave it in the BS and use the keypad or my phone to lock/unlock the door. If the battery is dead I don't see any reason to get into the car since it can't go anywhere.

Maybe sticking an Apple Tracker on your FOB is easier and cheaper... unless you lose your phone too.:frown:
Have you tried their air tag trackers yet? Iā€™ve been meaning to & havenā€™t. The idea sounds great! One on your fob? One in your wallet? One on the dogā€™s collar? One in your checked bag when traveling? So many uses, but Iā€™ve never tried them yet.

OP
OP
Econoline

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So this may be a good question then. How does intelligent access actually work? Because I havenā€™t totally figured it out yet. Will it actually let you lock your keys in the car (the typical scenario for keeping a magnet box hidden on the car)? Iā€™ve never tried, but usually have both fobs going (one in a bag & one in my pocket). So I wonder if thatā€™s why the car refuses initially to lock when I try the thumb print on the door handle though I have a fob in my pocket perhaps itā€™s detecting one in the car? Now Iā€˜ll have to watch what Iā€™m actually doing & know whether Iā€™ve left a fob in the car or have only the one in my pocket to watch what the car is doing. And try at home when I have the other fob in the house, to lock a fob in the car ā€˜accidentallyā€™ & see what happens.
The Intelligent Access will normally prevent you from locking the doors with the keypad if an active Fob is inside the car. But there's an override code that does allow locking a Fob in the car. I tested that and it does work.

But intentionally locking a Fob in the car is kind of like leaving a key in the ignition with the doors locked, anyone breaking in could start the car and drive away.

Reactions: MJE

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
The Intelligent Access will normally prevent you from locking the doors with the keypad if an active Fob is inside the car. But there's an override code that does allow locking a Fob in the car. I tested that and it does work.

But intentionally locking a Fob in the car is kind of like leaving a key in the ignition with the doors locked, anyone breaking in could start the car and drive away.
I often use the keypad to lock my FOB in my car and there is no ā€œoverride codeā€ required. Yes, someone could break in and then drive my car away but Iā€™m going with the theory that a B&E thief isnā€™t expecting a FOB to be in the car when they break in so they will have made other arrangements if they are planning to steal it.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport

Agreed, youā€™ve just made the ignition lock totally ineffective then. There could be a case to hide your fob in the car & use the keypad, say going out swimming in the lake for a day or something. But good to know itā€™ll prevent you from doing it by accident.

OP
OP
Econoline

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does locking a FOB in the car disable the anti-theft alarm? Seems like it would but I haven't tested that.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I often use the keypad to lock my FOB in my car and there is no ā€œoverride codeā€ required. Yes, someone could break in and then drive my car away but Iā€™m going with the theory that a B&E thief isnā€™t expecting a FOB to be in the car when they break in so they will have made other arrangements if they are planning to steal it.
We stopped at a dealer on a Saturday after close to look at the new trucks, I will check if the door will open so I can check out the inside, door was open, sat inside just for fun, hit the brake and start button and the engine started. The key fob must have been somewhere in the vehicle, a thief could take a chance and try the button to see if it would start.

By the way, no trucks were stolen that day, I would have like to borrow it for the weekend though.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands

For decades Iā€™ve been using Securilock to leave a fob in my vehicle for things like going for a run when I donā€™t want to carry keys. Thatā€™s what it was designed for.
Sponsored