wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
Curious if anyone is towing a boat around 16-18' and what your experience has been with the 1.5L. I see a lot on campers, but not a lot on boats. Curious about the longer length with smaller vehicle. I parked my OB next to the boat and it looked surprisingly small (the OB).

I'm inheriting a 17' aluminum deep-V fishing boat. Boat is 1000lbs so with engine, motor, batteries, etc. I think it should come in under the 2000lb tow limit. Before you ask, it's over 30 years old so figuring out the weight, tongue weight, etc. is proving difficult.

Thanks for any information on experiences!
Sponsored

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
I have a 20ft Deck boat, and there is no way that my 2.0 BS can tow it. But I'm looking at about 2500 pounds with trailer well over the limit for the BS. I've seen a BS in my area tow a small Aluminum fishing boat. At least from my observation they looked like they were handling just fine.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Ford Bronco Sport Anyone towing 16+ foot boat? 1662683048140

might find a scrap yard or stone quarry with a drive on scale
never cared much for scrap yard visits
seemed like a good spot for tire punctures

SWUKU

First Edition
First Name
GB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I took mine to the county Transfer Satation to weigh it.
They laughed and said was a very common occurrence.

OP
OP
wiyeti

wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
towing it is one thing, no way i would be launching/loading a craft that size with the 1.5L
Yeah, that thought had entered my mind. I had an old Jeep and the inline 6 had the same basic HP/Torque specs as the 1.5L and it had no issues. Though, this is my first powerplant where turbos provided much of the power, so not sure how that impacts things.

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
You can measure the tongue weight using a bathroom scale. Directions can be found at either curtmfg.com or etrailer.com.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Most vehicles run out of cargo capacity due to tongue weight before they run out of towing capacity. Adding a weight distributing hitch will help keep your front tires on the ground.

There is probably a CAT scale at a truckstop near you. Check your tongue weight and axle weight. I pulled my 18' Crestliner with 115 Merc from Spokane to Albuquerque with my Jeep Liberty. It did fine, but my Jeep was rated for 5000 lb. towing.

The other issue is torque. If you live in mountain country, you'll want a lot more power for going up the hills. Also consider braking. Coming down a long grade with a trailer pushing you can overheat your brakes. Use gears to control your speed.
Sponsored