Anyone had their windshield replaced?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Has anyone had their Windshield replaced? If so what was the timeframe? I took a rock and it looks like it can't be repaired. Safelite says there is a shortage on glass products and will let me know in a couple of days about availability. Thanks!
Sponsored

Pugboy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2014 Transit Connect
I got a large crack in my windshield also from a rock. Insurance company glass replacement people estimate 3-4 weeks due to back orders. He said it is okay to drive in meantime. I’m currently in week 2 and no word as yet.

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer
Has anyone had their Windshield replaced? If so what was the timeframe? I took a rock and it looks like it can't be repaired. Safelite says there is a shortage on glass products and will let me know in a couple of days about availability. Thanks!
No windshield but, lift arm on rear window came unglued from glass. Dealer said the glass is replaced not just glued back on. Will wait to see.

CDN Jen

Badlands
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, 2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Yep, got a crack in the windshield in July due to a rock that shot up from a truck in front of me. It was initially a chip and turned into a crack within a day. I went through my insurance company and safelight said it couldn't be repaired (bit it was safe to drive). So I called my dealership and they referred me to their glass place. The glass place ordered the windshield and it took about 3 weeks to arrive and now it's as good as new.

I also added a glass package to my insurance since I suspect this will be a common occurrence (it was with my Escape too).

Tawnygal

First Edition
First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tonyadoughty.net
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE, 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
:explode: Welp, I am now needing to get my windshield replaced a SECOND time. First time a month after purchase, this one a year later. Semi passed me (oncoming lane) and threw up what sounded like machine gun fire -- nailed my windshield in at least 8 places and gave me a half dozen paint dings. Started the claim only to be told Safelight no longer comes to our area (they did last year). So, with my barely driveable windshield they want me to drive to them, 60 miles away... And when I tried to request the local Ford dealer/shop, was told that wasn't an option. Safelight didn't do a great job last time, they didn't get the driver's side wiper back in the proper place, so it always started about 4-5" from the outer edge, about where my line-of-sight is.

Wonder how long this wait will be? Last time was 3 months, but almost understandable, since they had just come out with the model. But now I hear there is a worldwide glass shortage -- my insurance company even having a warning on their site to expect significant delays.

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F350, 2012 Nissan Rogue
I just had my windshield replaced last week.

I called a local glass shop to do the work and requested OEM replacement. Took about a week for insurance to approve the OEM glass, then another week for the glass to come in. Took most of the day to replace as they needed to recalibrate the system after the glass was replaced.

Our Baby Bronco doesn't have auto or heated wipers so I'm not sure of the availability of that glass.

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F350, 2012 Nissan Rogue
Safelight didn't do a great job last time, they didn't get the driver's side wiper back in the proper place, so it always started about 4-5" from the outer edge, about where my line-of-sight is.
Yeah, my shop (not Safelight) did the same thing but with both wipers. Took it back to the shop and had them adjusted again... only took a few minutes. :)

Funny thing about these cars, I noticed the wipers sticking up on the way home so pulled over to see what was up. Thinking that they just hadn't been reset, I pushed them back down to where they normally sit and they looked fine. When I went out to the car later to show the wife, they were back up in the wrong spot again. That is when I realized that they hadn't been put back on correctly. I pushed them back down to their normal resting place and when I went out the next day they were back up in the wrong position. This dang thing does all sorts of weird stuff during its downtime. Gone are the days with cars would actually turn off when you turn them off. :)

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yeah, my shop (not Safelight) did the same thing but with both wipers. Took it back to the shop and had them adjusted again... only took a few minutes. :)

Funny thing about these cars, I noticed the wipers sticking up on the way home so pulled over to see what was up. Thinking that they just hadn't been reset, I pushed them back down to where they normally sit and they looked fine. When I went out to the car later to show the wife, they were back up in the wrong spot again. That is when I realized that they hadn't been put back on correctly. I pushed them back down to their normal resting place and when I went out the next day they were back up in the wrong position. This dang thing does all sorts of weird stuff during its downtime. Gone are the days with cars would actually turn off when you turn them off. :)
Looks like it's a bad idea to move the wiper blades the way you did.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10202628-0001.pdf

Dantanman

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Shop got my replacement in overnight in Canada. Sadly it took a rock 3 weeks later. Crack spread to both sides. Will order another one shortly. 1800.00! Thankfully I have a 200.00 deductible.

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Replaced last week. Apparently big Bend has heated strip where wipers park. At least that is what the tech said. There is a wire on the passenger side under the plastic cowl cover. He showed it to me said it’s for heated strip. Got a Ford brand windshield. Too many issues in the past with generic glass on other vehicles. So far so good and we have had tremendous rain lately.

Timeline: called insurance company. They own safelite, first call to my availability bring it in for new only a week.

Juanchoch

Badlands
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Yes I had mine replaced because of long crack from bend mirror to halfway down passenger side. Made an appointment took about a week to get window and replaced in under 2 hours. no issues since installed.
Sponsored