Anyone going to install aftermarket oil separator?

Pigpen

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
Is anyone planning to install an aftermarket oil separator? I’m told it can help prolong the life of the engine and possibly the turbocharger as well. Here’s a vid.

Sponsored

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Is anyone planning to install an aftermarket oil separator? I’m told it can help prolong the life of the engine and possibly the turbocharger as well. Here’s a vid.

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone going to install aftermarket oil separator? 1655691087929

Hit the search button
type in Catch Can
you won't be disappointed
plenty of discussions
and welcome to the forum

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I've been running the JLS (I think) catch can for a year now, I emptied it out a couple times since then and what I get is some thing that resembles coffee with lots of creamer. Does the catch can prevent this from going into the intake, I don't know, but I like to think so.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Coffee and creamer, very small harmless amounts or we’d all have them.
Moisture is burned up in the crank case and vented back for a cleaner exhaust.
Am I right ???
I’ve taken several engines pass 400,000 miles and one to 528,000
Never had one, never had one single internal engine issue other than low compression in the 528,000 mile engine,,, ya think !
But I’m gonna get one anyway.
Go figure.
Marketing gets me now and then.
NOT !

Last edited:

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
The only thing I don't like about the JLT is the phillips screws that hold the cap on to the bracket, I'll probably replace them with stainless socket heads. Other than that it's a nice product.

TheDude

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2019 Mustang GT
There's always the debate if they are needed or really help because of direct injection, etc.. The Sports have oil seperators already on them, they just can't be emptied so is one really needed? Most likely not. I have one on my V8 Mustang and always used them on turbos so I put a JLT on the Sport. It does catch a decent amount of oil so for me piece of mind is why I use one. UPR also makes one now.

Last edited:

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's always the debate if they are needed or really help because of direct injection, etc.. The Sports have oil seperators already on them, they just can't be emptied so is one really needed? Most likely not. I have one on my V8 Mustang and always used them on turbos so I put a JLT on the Sport. It does catch a decent amount of oil so for me piece of mind is why I use one.
Saw an interesting YT vid describing the Escape intake manifold
stated lower portion of manifold oil pooling
I imagine hill ascents sends a gulp or two straight into the port
B-but that's an Escape
yep, and I would bet they're very similar constructs
I'll see if I can recover the vid and link it

>edit<

reference to manifold @ the 4:25 min

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Saw an interesting YT vid describing the Escape intake manifold
stated lower portion of manifold oil pooling
There were reports in Mustang EcoBoost community (2.3L EcoBoost engine) of oil getting past the air/oil separator into the intake manifold and intercooler. IIRC, these were owners running modifications--usually software--meant to boost power output, so I believe it's safe to say they were pushing their engines. Oil in these areas of the engine is not a normal operating condition. In other words, it's an indication of some problem with the engine. In the video you posted there was evidence of serious issues with the piston ring(s) and lands on the piston shown. Installing a catch can for this condition is not a fix, it's a band aid. The fix is to repair the piston/ring(s).

I can't take seriously someone who "works on these engines every day" that recommends oil changes at 2,700 miles. Not only is that a waste of money/resources for the owner, it's environmentally unsound. Newer oils that meet API SP and ILSAC GF-6 specifications far exceed the capability of oils in use when the 3,000 mile change interval was the norm.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There were reports in Mustang EcoBoost community (2.3L EcoBoost engine) of oil getting past the air/oil separator into the intake manifold and intercooler. IIRC, these were owners running modifications--usually software--meant to boost power output, so I believe it's safe to say they were pushing their engines. Oil in these areas of the engine is not a normal operating condition. In other words, it's an indication of some problem with the engine. In the video you posted there was evidence of serious issues with the piston ring(s) and lands on the piston shown. Installing a catch can for this condition is not a fix, it's a band aid. The fix is to repair the piston/ring(s).
In the video you posted there was evidence of serious issues with the piston ring(s) and lands on the piston shown. Installing a catch can for this condition is not a fix, it's a band aid. The fix is to repair the piston/ring(s).
That was a different vid
this may be a different one than the vid previously posted
main concern is the subject of manifolds possibly retaining oil

It would seem he does actually work on these "every day"
taken in the sense he's a ford dealership mechanic
it's worthwhile to review some of his material
some rather insightful comments

no argument with your position on oil
but as a habit going way back I'm a 3K oil changer
and you know when you take it out for a spin after a change :D
my engine always is in agreement with this routine

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
main concern is the subject of manifolds possibly retaining oil
No, I get that. My point is that doesn't happen unless there is something wrong with the engine. That something wrong doesn't get fixed with a catch can.

it's worthwhile to review some of his material
I don't discount everything, but I wonder that he doesn't mention the fact that oil collecting in the manifold isn't a normal condition. His comments starting around 1:09 about driving "like an idiot" should have included the fact that the ring/piston damage in the photo is the result. Without mentioning that, the theme of the video implies (to me at least) that a catch can will prevent that kind of engine damage.

In short, if you intend to frequently push the limits of your engine's power output you can expect increased blow-by as the rings and ring lands deteriorate. A catch can might increase the amount of time before a ring job becomes necessary, but the ultimate fix is a ring job...and perhaps less hooning.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I get that. My point is that doesn't happen unless there is something wrong with the engine. That something wrong doesn't get fixed with a catch can.
Correct, if there is something wrong it will not be resolved by a can.
The vid however is pointing at the cumulative oil pooling over a period of time in the recessed manifold area. Not necessarily meaning a condition with the motor exists. Just as a can collects oil over a period of time (even being downstream of the oil separator) before continuing to vent towards the intake manifold.
So if I can try to eliminate that potential pooling effect no harm done.

*disclaimer*
vid references the Escape 1.5
Sponsored