Anyone else with a 2023 get a key fob without the lift gate button?

OrangeJoe42

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Mazda Miata
Pretty sure the fix involves the liftgate button on the fob, which the 2023's don't have.

This a known issue; the system sometimes gets "confused." Search around on the site for a fix.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Pretty sure the fix involves the liftgate button on the fob, which the 2023's don't have.
I think you're right. I would try switching the system between driver door and all door unlock mode. Push both the lock and unlock buttons on the fob at the same time until the four-ways flash. In driver door mode the system unlocks only the driver's door when you touch the intelligent access sensor on the driver door. In all door mode it unlocks all the doors. Perhaps switching between modes will reset the system.

OrangeJoe42

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, good call! That fixed it.

I think you're right. I would try switching the system between driver door and all door unlock mode. Push both the lock and unlock buttons on the fob at the same time until the four-ways flash. In driver door mode the system unlocks only the driver's door when you touch the intelligent access sensor on the driver door. In all door mode it unlocks all the doors. Perhaps switching between modes will reset the system.

Scottie137

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I am actually happy they changed the fob. Even without the lift gate button the fobs are kind of massive.

Last edited:

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
My OBX has it standard but I don't use it. I just touch the latch and it pops open.
Ford Bronco Sport Anyone else with a 2023 get a key fob without the lift gate button? fob2

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
Yeah - '22 BS Badlands on the left and a '23 BS Badlands on the right. No savings in "real-estate'. The keys are the same size. Just had that relatively useless button removed.

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone else with a 2023 get a key fob without the lift gate button? A2AEA8F6-7452-4BF9-B77A-85EEE50D1CC2

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah - '22 BS Badlands on the left and a '23 BS Badlands on the right. No savings in "real-estate'. The keys are the same size. Just had that relatively useless button removed.
You also save installation of a button, switch, and the various electronic parts, which given the worldwide chip shortage is probably the real reason for the change.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
My OBX has it standard but I don't use it. I just touch the latch and it pops open.
Ford Bronco Sport Anyone else with a 2023 get a key fob without the lift gate button? fob2
Exactly. It opens automatically. I’ve never used the button on my fob.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
My 21 BSBL has the lift gate unlock, but no remote start. I have to use the app on my phone. Was this an option you had to order?

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone else with a 2023 get a key fob without the lift gate button? 20230128_004837
Ours is the same -- no remote start.

Whatever shall we do? :cool:

All of our other vehicles are 22 to 30 years old, so even without any upgrades the BS BL seems like:

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone else with a 2023 get a key fob without the lift gate button? 1675122947862

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ours is the same -- no remote start.

Whatever shall we do? :cool:
If you install Ford's perimeter plus alarm you get remote start via the fob as a side benefit—even if your fob doesn't have a start button. Once installed, you press the lock, unlock, lock buttons in sequence and the vehicle will start.

Fuzzbear

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, '21 Badlands (RIP), '02 Ranger Edge
I sometimes use the liftgate button because it doesn't always respond to just having the fob on me when I try to open the liftgate using the latch.

OrangeJoe42

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...and of course now that I said that, it's not working again. It works *very* occasionally. Sometimes if I hit the button 3 or 4 times it will unlock. Sometimes it just won't work at all. Not sure if it's a glitch in passive entry or if my Bronco just has something wrong with it.

Thanks, good call! That fixed it.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I sometimes use the liftgate button because it doesn't always respond to just having the fob on me when I try to open the liftgate using the latch.
This was a problem with both my 21 BB and 22 Badlands. I can't figure out how to consistently make the latch open by touch, I have to use the button.

mikeyncc

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
My '23 OBX has the same key-fob as yours. There is another feature that some folks might not know about. If you press the unlock button twice and hold down the button on the second press, then all 4 windows will open completely. This is a great feature to use before entering your car on a hot day. If you press the lock button twice and hold it down on the second press, the windows will all close, and the vehicle is locked.
works on my '22 OBX as well. who knew...
thanks
Sponsored