Any way to improve towing capacity in BS?

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Is there any way to increase towing capacity on BS beyond 2000lbs?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bamsi

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Sure,

You will just need to reprogram the vehicles computers, upgrade the radiator, suspension, brakes, axles, and intake/exhaust system.
Ok, let be just 2200lbs. Thanks omahafordowner. You make me laugh! But it is what it is...

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
I’m sure on the Badlands the vehicle will tow more with 245hp. The issue is no electronic brake on the trailer, along with a small wheelbase. I hooked up a 1,800 pound trailer, a Featherlite 1610 enclosed cargo trailer and wouldn’t go much larger. Ford’s website recommends no more than 20sq feet of frontal coverage on the three cylinder and 30 square feet on the 2.0 liter. I do have a v-nose so this should help with the aerodynamics at highway speed.. On flat ground the engine doesn’t work as hard. Elevation gains they said to reduce the useful load by 2% for every 1000 ft ASL. On my Ford F150 I sometimes will add sandbags on the front passenger side and or rear seat to keep the front end, tires planted on the ground. The more weight on the rear the less traction and stability you have steering. What might seem satisfactor, might be an accident waiting to happen if you need to make an evasive maneuver. My trailer empty weighs 1800 pounds so I’m not taking more than 10 bags of mulch and a few trees in a 15 gallon container. If you want more tow capacity get yourself a harbor freight trailer for $550 and use it until the wheels come off. I think they weigh under 300 pounds Without flooring?

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Even if you did all the things to make it tow more, the door sticker is what counts as far as the law is concerned.

Are you likely to be pulled over for towing too heavy, nope. Are you going to be raked over the coals if you get into an accident and somebody gets hurt bad, yep.

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I got and built the Harbor freight trailer.
the axle and wheels were crap.
Balancing the wheels was impossible. Chinese made crap at it’s worst. The thing vibrated bad, wheels out of round, axle splines were welded crookedly so tracking was embarrassing. I got a proper axle and good wheels and tires then the thing pulled straight and smoothly. Used it for years, sold it when I moved for what I had in it due to the far better axle.
I think it was 380 pounds empty with my round 2,000 pound rated axle I added.

Last edited:

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I got and built the Harbor freight trailer.
the axle and wheels were crap.
Balancing the wheels was impossible. Chinese made crap at it’s worst. The thing vibrated bad, wheels out of round, axle splines were welded crookedly so tracking was embarrassing. I got a proper axle and good wheels and tires then the thing pulled straight and smoothly. Used it for years, sold it when I moved for what I had in it due to the far better axle.
curious if you remember where you sourced new wheels and axle from? I've been eyeing up that harbor freight trailer for hauling motorcycles around. Been casually watching for a coupon or sale on it. I really need something that can fold up for storage like that but isn't going to blow my bank account.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
curious if you remember where you sourced new wheels and axle from? I've been eyeing up that harbor freight trailer for hauling motorcycles around. Been casually watching for a coupon or sale on it. I really need something that can fold up for storage like that but isn't going to blow my bank account.
RED NECK Trailer supplies.
It’s a Legacy now known as Dexter
 Google Red Neck trailer. :’P
Mine was the larger of the two models 4x6 I think,
It was a one man operation to fold it up and roll it in the garage. NOTE: I added larger castors to roll it around on due to the expansion joint in my drive way. LEVEL concrete only as the folded rig is too heavy.
Secondly, re engineer the strap system to secure it up when folded or you could get seriously hurt !
3rd do NOT splice or clamp into your vehicles wiring/ lighting harness even at the tail lights. Thread a fused red power lead (18 gage automotive wire is what I used), fuse link should be within 2-3 inches of the battery. Buy the FORD plug in harness, chassis ground is fine. So only one red wire to the battery
Lastly the stock box axle is trash but would make a great yard cart. Also spring for the grease point axle hub covers.
They are easy to tap in with a rubber Hammer, tap easy and keep ‘em straight all the way in the hub. When they collapse half way in grease em up full again.

Last edited:

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RED NECK Trailer supplies.
It’s a Legacy now known as Dexter
 Google Red Neck trailer. :’P
Mine was the larger of the two models 4x6 I think,
It was a one man operation to fold it up and roll it in the garage. NOTE: I added larger castors to roll it around on due to the expansion joint in my drive way. LEVEL concrete only as the folded rig is too heavy.
Secondly, re engineer the strap system to secure it up when folded or you could get seriously hurt !
3rd do NOT splice or clamp into your vehicles wiring/ lighting harness even at the tail lights. Thread a fused red power lead (18 gage automotive wire is what I used), fuse link should be within 2-3 inches of the battery. Buy the FORD plug in harness, chassis ground is fine. So only one red wire to the battery
Lastly the stock box axle is trash but would make a great yard cart. Also spring for the grease point axle hub covers.
They are easy to tap in with a rubber Hammer, tap easy and keep ‘em straight all the way in the hub. When they collapse half way in grease em up full again.
Awesome, thanks a bunch for all this info.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
Harbor freight doesn’t do coupons anymore. The folding trailer that has a 1,750 capacity is $549. I think it’s has improved over the years. ?‍♂ most people will weld the trailer shut otherwise it rattles loose?

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I built my HF trailer a few years ago. There was a way to bolt the frame together to make it non-folding. I did that and put a single piece of 4x8x3/4" plywood for the deck. It's pretty sturdy.

I had read about people welding it together after bolting it together but I didn't do that.

Like Osco said, the axle was not good. There was welding slag on the spindles and you couldn't put it together until you cleaned that up. Other than that it was a fun project that took a lot longer than I planned on (lots of bolts). No wait... I forgot say that paint is the absolute worst and that it will fade in minimal amounts of sunlight. There is a part of it near the coupler that didn't get covered at first with a tarp that is now pink instead of red.

I got it because at the time I had decided not to spend 50K+ on new Ford truck. Turns out I bought a new 2017 Ram Rebel for 44K and didn't need the trailer again after using it just once. That's ok as I'm back to being without a truck again, I sold the Ram for 40K after four years.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh yeah the red/pink paint, LoL,
Forgot about that. Thanks China.
I kept mine as a folder cause it stayed in my garage, folded.
I used it several times for trips to Home Depot and to haul all the stuff for a new privacy fence.
Pulled it with my 2016 Transit Connect LWB XLT, plenty of power for that.
No regrets. But the pink look..
I’d take it out for a day and it would get put back in the garage, pinker :’P

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Just FYI -- for anyone who does not need a folding trailer, Tractor Supply sells "Carry-On" brand (USA) utility trailers. Our is the 5x8 mesh floor model:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-5-ft-x-8-ft-open-mesh-floor-utility-trailer-5x8sp-gen

The quality isn't great, but it's better than HF (from what I read here in this thread).

I got it fairly recently and it was on sale for just $550. It looks like the regular price has gone way up. It should be much less on sale.

Just another option.
Sponsored