Any undercarriage photos of Big Bend vs. Badlands models?

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
I am still deciding between the two models for a potential replacement for my 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4. I live in Western NY - I like to hunt and fish and sometimes will travel in some unplowed seasonal highways in the wintertime to get to ice fishing destinations and to fishing/hunting destinations in the spring, summer or fall time on seasonal highways that can get beat up. Sometimes, we get some deep snowfall and have to go over where a plow piled up some snow. I am not a serious off roader by any means...but sometimes the dirt roads have washouts and ruts. Anyone one have any undercarriage photos of a Big Bend and Badlands models? Just wondering if anything is especially vulnerable underneath. I am specifically interested in front and what is protected and what isn't by the bash plate on the Badlands and what type - if any protection on the Big Bend model? I am leaning towards the Big Bend model and hopefully aftermarket skid plate(s) will become available over time. Any photos on a lift or on jack stands is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I am still deciding between the two models for a potential replacement for my 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4. I live in Western NY - I like to hunt and fish and sometimes will travel in some unplowed seasonal highways in the wintertime to get to ice fishing destinations and to fishing/hunting destinations in the spring, summer or fall time on seasonal highways that can get beat up. Sometimes, we get some deep snowfall and have to go over where a plow piled up some snow. I am not a serious off roader by any means...but sometimes the dirt roads have washouts and ruts. Anyone one have any undercarriage photos of a Big Bend and Badlands models? Just wondering if anything is especially vulnerable underneath. I am specifically interested in front and what is protected and what isn't bash plate on the Badlands and what type - if any protection on the Big Bend model? I am leaning towards the Big Bend model and hopefully aftermarket skid plate(s) will become available over time. Any photos on a lift or on jack stands is appreciated. Thanks!
Some screen grabs for the TFL review at (check the timestamps):

Ford Bronco Sport Any undercarriage photos of Big Bend vs. Badlands models? 2021 BS undercarriage 4

Ford Bronco Sport Any undercarriage photos of Big Bend vs. Badlands models? 2021 BS undercarriage 3

Ford Bronco Sport Any undercarriage photos of Big Bend vs. Badlands models? 2021 BS undercarriage 2

Ford Bronco Sport Any undercarriage photos of Big Bend vs. Badlands models? 2021 BS undercarriage 1

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'd say there is nothing much hanging low underneath on any of the Sport models, though the Badlands and First Edition are the best protected with "bash plates." Except for the suspension and rear diff, they're all the same under those, or without.

OP
OP
Huntyeraws

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Thanks for the video and screen shot of the Badlands.

Does the bash plate have to removed on the Badlands in order to do an oil change? It doesn't look like there is an access hole.

I am curious as to what is under the Big Bend model. Just some plastic up front or nothing at all?

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Does the bash plate have to removed on the Badlands in order to do an oil change? It doesn't look like there is an access hole.

I am curious as to what is under the Big Bend model. Just some plastic up front or nothing at all?
Sorry I don't know...anyway I'm thinking the bottom of that front bumper cover is going to suffer a beating, would have been great to extend that "bash plate" higher and forward somehow. Or at least make it a separate lower half for that front bumper cover! The lowest of the grille openings look spindly (delicate) also, how long before those little sticks there get broken. The oil filter is at the bottom rear next to the pan, I don't know how we're going to get at it -- honestly it looks like dropping that bash plate every time, hopefully an easy annoyance.

Last edited:

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

I have a Big Bend and while there are no metal skid/bash plates, there are several "composite" covers/plates for most of the critical components underneath. I say "composite" because I don't really know what the covers/plates are made of. They are good enough that as long as you don't hit a super sharp or jagged rock, they should do fine at protecting what they cover. I've scraped bottom a few times on some sharp-angle breakover points and did not sustain any damage. With that being said, I am still looking forward to aftermarket skid plates when they come available.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I have a Big Bend and while there are no metal skid/bash plates, there are several "composite" covers/plates for most of the critical components underneath. I say "composite" because I don't really know what the covers/plates are made of. They are good enough that as long as you don't hit a super sharp or jagged rock, they should do fine at protecting what they cover. I've scraped bottom a few times on some sharp-angle breakover points and did not sustain any damage. With that being said, I am still looking forward to aftermarket skid plates when they come available.
I had my OB cover off to find the Brake fluid reservoir cap I dropped & its some kind of pressed material , light , but awkward to replace when laying under the Truck , a lot of screws & two Plastic pop up fasteners . Looks like it has to be removed to change the oil/filter . I would think the Skid plate would also , which I want also if they come out on the aftermarket .

Delfim Brazil

Badlands
First Name
DELFIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRONCO SPORT
Sorry I don't know...anyway I'm thinking the bottom of that front bumper cover is going to suffer a beating, would have been great to extend that "bash plate" higher and forward somehow. Or at least make it a separate lower half for that front bumper cover! The lowest of the grille openings look spindly (delicate) also, how long before those little sticks there get broken. The oil filter is at the bottom rear next to the pan, I don't know how we're going to get at it -- honestly it looks like dropping that bash plate every time, hopefully an easy annoyance.
Does anyone know where we can buy a steel front bumper that goes until the bash plate? This is really a very important part for those that goes for off road specially on the rocks

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Looks like all the covers that are plastic and the fibrous material are metal on the BL+FE.
I'm waiting on the OEM replacement parts for the BL plates to become available. I'm sure they can just bolt on and replace what's on my OB.
Aftermarket would be good too.
I want some rock rails/rocker guards.
If anyone sees anything let us know!!
Sponsored