Forestpatrol

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport Big Bend / 93 F350 IDI
Will the angle of having only the front end up on ramps affect oil drainage in any way?

I haven't torn the belly pan off yet, it is brand new; however, it appears that the drain bolt will be toward the rear of the vehicle. This should mean that so long as all the oil had already drained into the pan, I should get everything out.

Are there any little recesses or anything else where the oil may hide because of the angle?
Sponsored

Orangejuice

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BS OW
You’ll never get it all. I personally like to leave the plug off and throw a half a quart in and watch the oil drain from dark to clear. If its plastic pan it takes somewhere around 6.6 quarts

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Subaru Outback
The plug is on the down side when up on ramps - so at least the pan is well drained.
My car is a 1.5 with the metal pan - not sure about the other models.

OP
OP

Forestpatrol

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The plug is on the down side when up on ramps - so at least the pan is well drained.
My car is a 1.5 with the metal pan - not sure about the other models.
That’s what it looked like from the videos I watched. I have the 1.5 and I am assuming its the metal pan as well, hopefully…

OP
OP

Forestpatrol

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’ll never get it all. I personally like to leave the plug off and throw a half a quart in and watch the oil drain from dark to clear. If its plastic pan it takes somewhere around 6.6 quarts
Interesting idea, thanks

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Will the angle of having only the front end up on ramps affect oil drainage in any way?

I haven't torn the belly pan off yet, it is brand new; however, it appears that the drain bolt will be toward the rear of the vehicle. This should mean that so long as all the oil had already drained into the pan, I should get everything out.

Are there any little recesses or anything else where the oil may hide because of the angle?
You should be fine the plug will be towards the back while up on ramps.

Ford Bronco Sport Angle of oil pan while front end up on ramps IMG_2179

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
We change outboard motor oil with a pump in the pan. I'm sure it doesn't get it all. Seems to work regardless.

bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250, 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
The 2.0 has the drain plug in the front, it will leave a 1/2 qt of used oil in the pan because of the angle of the vehicle while on the ramps. I drive onto the ramps and remove the bash plate and then back down to drain the oil, kind of a pain but it's what I have to do to get all the used oil out.

OP
OP

Forestpatrol

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2.0 has the drain plug in the front, it will leave a 1/2 qt of used oil in the pan because of the angle of the vehicle while on the ramps. I drive onto the ramps and remove the bash plate and then back down to drain the oil, kind of a pain but it's what I have to do to get all the used oil out.
I actually think that I got nearly every drop of oil out of mine on those Rhino ramps? I put back in apps. 6.5 quarts after the change and I am in between the min and max line on the stick.

I didnt realize how heavy that bash plate was…..getting it back under those front two bolts and starting a rear bolt was painforul on the upper back. I might jack the rear up and put it on another set of ramps next time to see if it makes working with that plate any easier.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
In all of the 50 or so cars I've owned in my lifetime so far, I never worried about a small amount of oil that did not get drained out during an oil change.

I never had an engine failure or damage due to that.

Don't worry about that. Instead, be concerned about global warming, gas prices, the yard needing to be mowed, leaves needed to be raked, or if Kansas City Chiefs will have a three-pete.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I actually think that I got nearly every drop of oil out of mine on those Rhino ramps? I put back in apps. 6.5 quarts after the change and I am in between the min and max line on the stick.
The engine in your car is the 1.5L, not the 2.0.

OP
OP

Forestpatrol

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The engine in your car is the 1.5L, not the 2.0.
Yeah, I realized that he had said 2.0 looking back at it. My plug is also to the rear so that should have also clued me in, but I wasn’t paying enough attention.

bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250, 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
In all of the 50 or so cars I've owned in my lifetime so far, I never worried about a small amount of oil that did not get drained out during an oil change.

I never had an engine failure or damage due to that.

Don't worry about that. Instead, be concerned about global warming, gas prices, the yard needing to be mowed, leaves needed to be raked, or if Kansas City Chiefs will have a three-pete.
I am concerned about a Chiefs three-peat, that would be "turrible, just turrible" (Charles Barkley spelling & quote).
Sponsored