Android Auto being discontinued?

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
I came across THIS thread earlier today and got a little worried. I've been on sync 2 for some time in my 2014 F150 and eagerly awaiting my BS to move up the the Sync 3 system. Though it would've been nice to see the sync 4 system in the BS similar to the full size I was content with Sync 3 as AA was still supported. But what if Google completely drops it? Is it possible for another software to take AA place on the Sync 3 system? Would be a pretty big bummer if I did get my BS and then AA goes defunct.... What everyone else think of this?

Seems odd, considering Sync 4 has built in wireless for AA. Would seem like a lost feature if not the sync 3 and 4 systems arnt able to be updated for the new replacement if any.
Sponsored

Last edited:

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Fairly safe to assume that the interface in the sync system will be updated to accept whatever output android is sending out. Per wikipedia ( I know, I know...) sync is built on the Blackberry QNX OS, but it's planned to move to an Android OS for future versions.

OP
OP
Petroph

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Fairly safe to assume that the interface in the sync system will be updated to accept whatever output android is sending out. Per wikipedia ( I know, I know...) sync is built on the Blackberry QNX OS, but it's planned to move to an Android OS for future versions.
That's good to hear. I figured a firmware update could be made available to resume functionality. Though current findings see that it's going to be integrated into Google maps or something. So not really sure from a functionality standpoint, we would be gaining or losing as I have never personally used the sync system before.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suspect that even if they rename and repackage things that a lot of the interface will be carried over so they don't have to reinvent the wheel.

OP
OP
Petroph

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Hmm, Google is still updating Android Auto, so is it really killing it off?
Could be updating to keep functionality until new system is ready to be implemented. 🤷‍♂️

Anyone here on Android 12 and using AA? I read that Android 12 is not supposed to support AA. But haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise other then announcements from 2021.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be updating to keep functionality until new system is ready to be implemented. 🤷‍♂️
Google isn't going to prevent phones from connecting to older cars. They'll make it work to keep people using it.

MMR_A51OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
My main gripe about Android Auto has been that I can't use Google Assistant/Voice or whatever in the car. It goes *beep* like it's gonna let me ask/say something, then immediately *beep beep,* like it failed to hear me. But, there isn't any time to even capture a word before the two beeps. What gives? So, instead of safely being able to make a call or respond to a text using voice-to-text, I have to pull off the road to dial out, like a caveman.

Anyone got a fix idea for this?

HomePeace

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
My main gripe about Android Auto has been that I can't use Google Assistant/Voice or whatever in the car. It goes *beep* like it's gonna let me ask/say something, then immediately *beep beep,* like it failed to hear me. But, there isn't any time to even capture a word before the two beeps. What gives? So, instead of safely being able to make a call or respond to a text using voice-to-text, I have to pull off the road to dial out, like a caveman.

Anyone got a fix idea for this?
I was having this issue until I realized I was doing it too fast. I press the mic button on wheel and wait for the chime and then talk and it works every time.

MMR_A51OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I was having this issue until I realized I was doing it too fast. I press the mic button on wheel and wait for the chime and then talk and it works every time.
It doesn't even give me a moment to speak. Not sure how I am "doing it too fast." I don't even know what 'it' is supposed to be that I am doing too fast to begin with.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
But what if Google completely drops it?
Google isn't dropping the version of Android Auto that connects to vehicles, it's dropping "Android Auto for phones." That's the version that runs standalone when you're not connected. I think it's the right move. App developers should stop creating apps that require touching the device while driving. Google is going to expand Google Assistant, which can be fully controlled using voice commands.

EduBsAs

Badlands
First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Wildtrack (BL+BL pack+Cargo Sys)
Google isn't dropping the version of Android Auto that connects to vehicles, it's dropping "Android Auto for phones." That's the version that runs standalone when you're not connected. I think it's the right move. App developers should stop creating apps that require touching the device while driving. Google is going to expand Google Assistant, which can be fully controlled using voice commands.
That's right. Moreover, take a look at this announcement of a new Android Auto UI to be released in the next weeks.

cgparsons1983

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't even give me a moment to speak. Not sure how I am "doing it too fast." I don't even know what 'it' is supposed to be that I am doing too fast to begin with.
Mine works fine, maybe try with a different phone if possible

OP
OP
Petroph

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Oh this is interesting. I thought you needed the Android Auto App installed on your phone in order for it to work in the vehicle. Perhaps I'm wrong?

I wouldn't imagine the just outright delete the app from the app store. Too many people utilize this software for it to just disappear. But didn't think people would use android auto as a standalone app on their phone while driving vs hooking it up to compatible vehicles that have integration already built in.