AEB - What's the story?

BS FE 21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Only owned my FE for a few weeks. The other day while driving I could take my foot off the brake while stopped in traffic and the car stood still. It was still running, it wasn't in auto stop. I thought , pretty cool. Today the brake never held once in traffic. I was in line at the pharmacy and let off the brake and the car lurched forward and would have collided. There were no warnings of any kind and no braking except what I applied. I went into settings and verified that the warning and braking safety were turned on. I've read some threads on the forum here and several people stated the AEB feature might or might not work. Also said strictly for emergency and nobody could define what constitutes an emergency. Is it only active at certain speeds? You are the driver so you figure it out. I think my solution will be to turn the system off. What's the point if it doesn't warn or stop the car? This is my first vehicle with these sensors. I pretty much avoided lane keeping - auto braking when purchasing before because I questioned the dependability. Thought it would be a nuisance. I have had some instances when the FE seemed to slam on the brakes while I was applying the brakes. I thought the brakes might just be grabby but maybe it was the AEB. The thing is, I've never seen a warning of any kind. What does it take for this system to give you a warning? Mine is set to normal and auto braking.
Sponsored

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
Only owned my FE for a few weeks. The other day while driving I could take my foot off the brake while stopped in traffic and the car stood still. It was still running, it wasn't in auto stop. I thought , pretty cool. Today the brake never held once in traffic. I was in line at the pharmacy and let off the brake and the car lurched forward and would have collided. There were no warnings of any kind and no braking except what I applied. I went into settings and verified that the warning and braking safety were turned on. I've read some threads on the forum here and several people stated the AEB feature might or might not work. Also said strictly for emergency and nobody could define what constitutes an emergency. Is it only active at certain speeds? You are the driver so you figure it out. I think my solution will be to turn the system off. What's the point if it doesn't warn or stop the car? This is my first vehicle with these sensors. I pretty much avoided lane keeping - auto braking when purchasing before because I questioned the dependability. Thought it would be a nuisance. I have had some instances when the FE seemed to slam on the brakes while I was applying the brakes. I thought the brakes might just be grabby but maybe it was the AEB. The thing is, I've never seen a warning of any kind. What does it take for this system to give you a warning? Mine is set to normal and auto braking.
I think you are looking for the auto hold for the brakes

there is a switch for it on the console next to the cup holders . Right behind the parking brake switch . You may have hit it in error.

OP
OP
BS FE 21

BS FE 21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
That solves the mystery of auto hold. I still wonder about AEB since I've never had that before. I assume that if emergency brakes were applied by the vehicle that would be accompanied by visual and audio alarms.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
That solves the mystery of auto hold. I still wonder about AEB since I've never had that before. I assume that if emergency brakes were applied by the vehicle that would be accompanied by visual and audio alarms.
Yes, you’ll know as it is aggressive and alerts you. But note, it is not activated at very low speeds. That is, if you did something silly like play on your phone at a stop light and you were inching forward, you’d stop when your bumper meets another bumper.

For more info, this might help:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/aeb-limitations-automatic-emergency-braking.5167/

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I think you are looking for the auto hold for the brakes

there is a switch for it on the console next to the cup holders . Right behind the parking brake switch . You may have hit it in error.
I keep bumping mine I guess since every now and then it'll be turned off. That or I'm doing something to cause the BS to turn it off.

As for OP.... I wonder if you had Adaptive Cruise Control on when you were stopped in traffic. If you have CoPilot+ (I think that's what it's called) it should follow the car in front of you; if it slows down to a stop, you'll slow down to a stop. Once it starts up again you'll start up again.

CrashBend

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee / Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I have noticed that if I do not push hard enough on the brake pedal the auto hold will not engage. There is that little indicator on the top left that lights up when it is engaged.

OP
OP
BS FE 21

BS FE 21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I keep bumping mine I guess since every now and then it'll be turned off. That or I'm doing something to cause the BS to turn it off.

As for OP.... I wonder if you had Adaptive Cruise Control on when you were stopped in traffic. If you have CoPilot+ (I think that's what it's called) it should follow the car in front of you; if it slows down to a stop, you'll slow down to a stop. Once it starts up again you'll start up again.
The SE doesn't have adaptive cruise control. It turns out that the Special Edition was the only model that could not get copilot 360. I was mislead by the sales guy on mine. I should have studied up a little more before I bought. I was looking at several different Bronco Sports when I ended up working a deal. I just assumed the FE had every option.

Alfa 2407

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This is more likely if you're on a slope.
I have noticed the same thing and there are no hills out here, probably just caused by minor play in the pedal assembly, not enough to notice in regular braking but enough to require pushing the pedal down a little more than you would expect

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I guess you figured it out, but I agree with you previous premise. The auto emergency braking doesn't make sense to me. One time I was in traffic using auto-hold. I failed to depress the pedal far enough, as mentioned above, and was looking out the window. I noticed I was moving and looked ahead only to slam on the brakes and probably come within about an inch of the car in front of me. No warning, no auto braking, nothing.

I made a comment once that I only had the per-collision warning and no emergency braking, but was told no all BS should have the emergency braking feature. I guess it only works above certain speeds? My gf used to have a Mazda 6 and I believe the emergency braking only was active above 30 mph.

I can tell you one thing, though. I had a 2021 OBX and an old lady ran a stop sign in front of me and t-boned her going 40mph or so. There was no emergency braking or collision warning. Maybe because she came in perpendicular? Who knows. Either way the system doesn't make sense to me.

OP
OP
BS FE 21

BS FE 21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I've turned the auto brake off. I'll just drive the same way I've done for 50+ years, take the guess work out. The other thing with the auto brake is parking in the garage. If you are trying to inch up to the sweet spot in the garage the BS jumps forward when the auto brake lets loose. Fine adjustments are tricky.
Sponsored