DahliaDarlin'

Outer Banks
First Name
Lise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2005 Honda Civic
Hello! I’ve been lurking here for an obscene amount of time and I am now ready to pull the trigger and buy a FBS.

Background: We rented a Bronco Sport Base (1.5) in 2021 in Colorado. We had a blast in it. Rented in Denver, drove down to Manitou Springs, Garden of the Gods, etc. It did great in the Prairie, did great driving back up to Denver. Husband is an Ornithologist so we took it down some sketchy, washed out roads and the Base still did great —glad they upgraded us from that T Camry we signed up for! I was hooked. My husband is brilliant but absolutely car blind. No help at all. Can’t tell the difference between a Jaguar and a K-car. Not even joking. I told him in CO that the car had 3 cy. He said, “Do they usually have more?” Again, not even joking.

Test drove a lovely, used '22 Badlands but it is probably more than I need for my use case,So I am focusing on the 1.5 BB or OBX. Mostly in town or in state roads 40-60 mph, occasional hwy to see my FIL 6+ hrs away partly through Eastern US type mountains, or through Boston area traffic a few times a year. A few friends live on un paved roads, or have unpaved driveways. So only forest/logging/farm type roads if “off road.” Better MPG always a plus.

I am debating two options:

* 2022 OBX, used, 14500 mi, with every option, Cactus Gray/Ebony Roast (I like this color interior) —two owners previous, both in my state, for sale at a non-Ford dealer. Ran the VIN it hasn’t had the fuel injector recall done.

* 2022 BigBend, New, with every option, Cactus Gray/gray interior (not my favorite, but better than black.) For sale at a Ford dealer.

Price is within $800

Every option = heated seats/convenience, 360+, tow hitch, moonroof, cargo mgt. system. OBX may have a better sound system. I don’t always listen to music or anything while I drive. Anything is most likely better than my current car with a 2 speaker “system.”

What is the difference between the BB and the OBX aside form the OBX having 18” wheels and leather trim interior? Is the OBX quieter to drive? Smoother suspension on road? Better seats? The passenger seat in our Forester gives me hip pain after a few hours.

Any reason I should go for one over the other, or vice versa?

That badlands I drove with the AT tires was on the loud side, but did better than our Forester over road bumps. Drove the 1.5 base in CO, but a long time ago now for me to recall noise etc. It had comfy seats.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
My husband is brilliant but absolutely car blind. No help at all. Can’t tell the difference between a Jaguar and a K-car. Not even joking. I told him in CO that the car had 3 cy. He said, “Do they usually have more?” Again, not even joking.
Same here. When someone asks my wife what kind of car she drives (it's a really nice Escape Platinum) she answers, "It's blue."

To your question: you might get the answers you're looking for by review the 2022 Bronco Sport order guide. The major difference between these two trims is luxury. The Outer Banks is the "luxury" version of the Bronco Sport. It should have leather and all the other interior comfort amenities. If that's important to you then the $800 difference in price would seem to be worth it (assuming there isn't a significant difference in mileage).

I would not be too concerned about the recall. The chances you will experience a cracked injector and fire are infinitesimal. The recall work will further reduce the chances of fire. If you're at all concerned you can check under the hood for a gas smell occasionally. If it were me, I'd check it when I park after the last drive of the day. At the very least, I would check once a week. If there is enough a leak to start a fire you will absolutely be able to smell it.

If you smell gas (which won't necessarily mean a cracked injector--it could be something entirely different) then simply don't drive it until you get it in for service. That's good advice for ANY car, not just those subject to this recall.

First Name
Rita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks with tow package
I think this is a personal preference. We decided on the OBX because of the nicer interior and bigger tires. We bought a '22 that was sitting on a local dealer's lot new for a great price. It has most options except the moonroof, navigation, and rear cargo accessory stuff.
Even not having those extras, I am glad we got it over the BB.

Bloomsey

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Hello! I’ve been lurking here for an obscene amount of time and I am now ready to pull the trigger and buy a FBS.

Background: We rented a Bronco Sport Base (1.5) in 2021 in Colorado. We had a blast in it. Rented in Denver, drove down to Manitou Springs, Garden of the Gods, etc. It did great in the Prairie, did great driving back up to Denver. Husband is an Ornithologist so we took it down some sketchy, washed out roads and the Base still did great —glad they upgraded us from that T Camry we signed up for! I was hooked. My husband is brilliant but absolutely car blind. No help at all. Can’t tell the difference between a Jaguar and a K-car. Not even joking. I told him in CO that the car had 3 cy. He said, “Do they usually have more?” Again, not even joking.

Test drove a lovely, used '22 Badlands but it is probably more than I need for my use case,So I am focusing on the 1.5 BB or OBX. Mostly in town or in state roads 40-60 mph, occasional hwy to see my FIL 6+ hrs away partly through Eastern US type mountains, or through Boston area traffic a few times a year. A few friends live on un paved roads, or have unpaved driveways. So only forest/logging/farm type roads if “off road.” Better MPG always a plus.

I am debating two options:

* 2022 OBX, used, 14500 mi, with every option, Cactus Gray/Ebony Roast (I like this color interior) —two owners previous, both in my state, for sale at a non-Ford dealer. Ran the VIN it hasn’t had the fuel injector recall done.

* 2022 BigBend, New, with every option, Cactus Gray/gray interior (not my favorite, but better than black.) For sale at a Ford dealer.

Price is within $800

Every option = heated seats/convenience, 360+, tow hitch, moonroof, cargo mgt. system. OBX may have a better sound system. I don’t always listen to music or anything while I drive. Anything is most likely better than my current car with a 2 speaker “system.”

What is the difference between the BB and the OBX aside form the OBX having 18” wheels and leather trim interior? Is the OBX quieter to drive? Smoother suspension on road? Better seats? The passenger seat in our Forester gives me hip pain after a few hours.

Any reason I should go for one over the other, or vice versa?

That badlands I drove with the AT tires was on the loud side, but did better than our Forester over road bumps. Drove the 1.5 base in CO, but a long time ago now for me to recall noise etc. It had comfy seats.

Thanks for any thoughts.
If both prices are $800 within each other, definitively go with the OBX! You won't be disappointed.

OuterBanks25

Outer Banks
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
If I were you, I would play it safe and just pay the extra $800 and get an Outer Banks. It's well worth it. Since this is the most luxury-oriented trim, it has all the options and drives the best out of the bunch. It is definitely more insulated than the Big Bend. I test drove both before our special order came in and even though the Big Bend is not a major noise maker, it does seem a little louder than the Outer Banks. Probably because the OBX has carpeted wheel wells all around as well as foam pads in the front door jambs to keep the engine noise out. I'm not sure if the Big Bend has those as well but since it's louder, one of those things is missing for sure. This is my personal bias but the two-tone looks so much nicer and gives the car a more premium look than the uniform BB.

Bronco Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape
I was in the same boat when I was trying to get a BS, but I really wanted an OBX because of the luxuries it offered, plus I like the wheel design, the black painted roof, and the nicer interior. I would probably just go with the OBX if there’s not that much difference in price between the two.

Also the Ebony Roast interior is a lot nicer looking to me than the grey or even the Navy Blue that the OBX has. I like the brown leather trim of the seats and the copper colored trim on the dashboard. It really stands out.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Well, I just traded my 2021 BigBend for a 2023 OuterBanks, my BigBend didn’t have all the options I really wanted in a vehicle. The only missing option I would have liked is the front facing camera on my OuterBanks. To me it does ride an feel better than the BB, I also like the leather better than the cloth, The options I have now are Moonroof, 10 speakers with Bang an Olufsen sound system, Cargo Management System, Class II Trailer Tow Package, Ford Co-Pilot 360 +, Tech Package = wireless charging pad, HD Radio, an Garage Door Opener. Like I said the OBX checked all the boxes for me. Black Roof, plus my Favorite Color In the Fabulous Atlas Blue Metallic. P.S. go with the OBX you won’t regret it.

Last edited:

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
I'll offer a different opinion than everyone else so far. For that close in price, I'd go with the Big Bend. Only real difference is a few creature comfort tech things and nearly 15,000 miles. For the same price I'd go with much fewer miles. Tech add ins don't mean much to me and I'd rather start new than used for the same price.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I owned a ‘21 Big Bend and traded it in for the ‘22 Outer Banks. I liked both vehicles but from the comfort side, I thought the OBX was a significant upgrade. You did not say how many miles are on the BB, but saying that you like the OBX colors and only $800 more, I think it’s the better choice for your wants.

edit: oops, I missed the BB was new! Now I think I change my mind because 0 owners is a lot better than two owners. You have a tough choice Lise but honestly, you will be happy either way.

wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 SCrew; 2023 BS BB Silver
Count me in the camp of get the new BB. In my opinion 2 owners in a short time is a red flag. If it was a BL with a 2.0 that might sway me. But getting a loaded BB with a full warranty and the peace of mind that comes from knowing you are the only one who has cared for it means the world to me. I will also point out that the OBX has larger wheels, not larger tires. The aspect ratio of the OBX tires is 60, the other BS trims is 65 (OE 225/60/18 vs 225/65/17 both 28.5")- which means the total diameter of the wheel/tire combo is the same with the BB or OB, just the BB has more sidewall and the OB more wheel. That is just a preference (I preferred the larger sidewall myself).

I agree that the leather is nice, but I have been impressed with the BB interior - nice for cloth. To me the leather is the real advantage of OB and I wouldn't be the 3rd owner of a car in under 2 years just for leather. But I hope your choice works out either way! Best of luck.

Hot Rod Mike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator , Wrangler , Bronco
I could have bought a OB but I liked the loaded BB better If I wanted all the extra crap I would have bought a luxury car

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Have you test drove or at least sat in both of them?

I have the Big Bend model. That's the only one I've ever been in. It's missing some stuff that I'd like that come with the Convenience Package. I'm annoyed by that, but, whatever.

But when I go to build one I want online and I think about what I might use this for, I feel I'd rather have the BB over the OBX.

I've always been a car person, coming from an Accord EX-L, but now that I've bought this, I'm tempted to try more outdoor stuff and off-highway driving.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
My wife uses her BB for commuting to & from work & we will use it for when we take trips. It was purchased to replace her old 99 Explorer Sport. We do not like leather seats, we prefer the cloth seats so we got the BB. She does not even use any of the gadgetry in the BB so having any more in a different model to us was a waste of money.

Ford Bronco Sport Advice needed BB or OBX? Long post 100_1896.JPG

Hot Rod Mike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator , Wrangler , Bronco
My wife uses her BB for commuting to & from work & we will use it for when we take trips. It was purchased to replace her old 99 Explorer Sport. We do not like leather seats, we prefer the cloth seats so we got the BB. She does not even use any of the gadgetry in the BB so having any more in a different model to us was a waste of money.

Ford Bronco Sport Advice needed BB or OBX? Long post 100_1896.JPG
Same here. At 70 yo I have had over 100 cars a lot of them with ever option available 6 of them had sun roofs that I never even opened. All the extra crap is a waste to me.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Leather, lighting options including the "signature headlights", bigger driver screen. It probably is a tad quieter because it will have pads on the hood and firewall as well as in the cargo under the spare that the BB does not have. Badlands has the better suspension IMO, those two are the same. If you don't mind buying used or the factory warranty going off, the price difference is small for what you get. Just confirm those features are actually there and comparable. Especially the 360+ with the ACC. The easy giveaway is the black box/square on the front grille.
Sponsored