Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
  • Banned
Where does Ford actually measure from for determine ground clearance? I have the HRG lift and 245/65/17s and my lowest point is 9 3/4” on my BL. That’s the middle of the front bumper. Hub to fender front is 19.5” and rear is 20”. Seeing what others with same setup are getting. Trying to compare and see. Seems low to me but I know Ford measures from weird areas. Like their trucks they don’t measure from the bottom of the pumpkin but another point for their numbers
Sponsored

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ironically enough, it looks like they must be measuring from the lowest point -- which, taking a look, may be one of the rear skid plates. In addition to the slightly taller suspension, and slightly taller optional tires (required to attain this 8.8" figure), the Badlands (and First Ed.) has a different rear transaxle that looks like it might be smaller/flatter than the ordinary open diff. on the other trims.
Ford Bronco Sport Actual ground clearance BS BL clearances

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
So not counting your bumper, what's your next lowest point? A little over 10"? 10.1 or 10.2"?

OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
  • Banned
The rear diff on mine is inch higher than the front skid measurement. Even at stock trim I measured and couldn’t figure out where they were measuring from to get the 8.8”. The pic shows the bottom of the felt. Mines at 9 3/4” from the gas tank skid to the ground. The underbody skids and rear diff are it for low spots. So realistically mine has 9” usable ground clearance

Reactions: Wyo

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
If you happen to watch any of the videos of people taking these in nasty looking situations. You see the front gets the worst of it plus the occasional gas recovery canister in front of the drivers side rear tire. It is what it is, a unibody vehicle that can accept up to a 30 inch tire max. Even with a "2" inch lift, you are not gaining much when you see most now running a minimum of 37's on body on frame vehicles. it's great for packed beach sand, forest roads and trails that don't involve large trees, boulders, waterfalls, or steps.

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
Where does Ford actually measure from for determine ground clearance? I have the HRG lift and 245/65/17s and my lowest point is 9 3/4” on my BL. That’s the middle of the front bumper. Hub to fender front is 19.5” and rear is 20”. Seeing what others with same setup are getting. Trying to compare and see. Seems low to me but I know Ford measures from weird areas. Like their trucks they don’t measure from the bottom of the pumpkin but another point for their numbers
I have the same size tires and lifted the front 1.625" with my FlatOut coilovers. The lowest part of my HRG Skid plate is 10 3/4" but the lowest spot I could find is the bottom of the felt, on the drivers side, just inside and behind the front wheels and that is 10 1/8". In back, the felt is 10 1/4" but I still need to raise the rear ~ 5/8" to maintain the OEM rake.

On a side note, I took several other measurements. Bottom of wheel to bottom of wheel arch, F 29.5", R 29.125" (17" wheels) Height of jack point, F 12 3/16", R 12 1/2". Ground to wheel arch is currently 34 1/8" F&R.

I guess if I want to go over a 12" rock it had better be gently and directly under the wheels.

DatWayMon

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I have the same size tires and lifted the front 1.625" with my FlatOut coilovers. The lowest part of my HRG Skid plate is 10 3/4" but the lowest spot I could find is the bottom of the felt, on the drivers side, just inside and behind the front wheels and that is 10 1/8". In back, the felt is 10 1/4" but I still need to raise the rear ~ 5/8" to maintain the OEM rake.

On a side note, I took several other measurements. Bottom of wheel to bottom of wheel arch, F 29.5", R 29.125" (17" wheels) Height of jack point, F 12 3/16", R 12 1/2". Ground to wheel arch is currently 34 1/8" F&R.

I guess if I want to go over a 12" rock it had better be gently and directly under the wheels.
Just out of curiosity, don't you have the ability to raise the ride height from your 1.625" lift to something closer to a 3" lift anytime you want? I contacted Flatout and they said you can adjust the ride height while sitting in your driveway in a matter of minutes, so I would assume it's something you could do when you get to a trailhead if you so chose.

I'm seriously considering getting the Flatout coilovers and want to be sure I have a correct understanding of their capabilities. In my mind if I was going on a road trip to do some off-roading in say Moab I'd want the ride height as low as possible for the Interstate but once I got to where I wanted to go off-road I'd want to maximize my clearance. Is this really possible and just that easy to do or am I completely misinformed?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
In some of the earlier advertising it was said that the Bronco sport was made to get you out to the trail head where the Big Bronco would take it from there.

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
Just out of curiosity, don't you have the ability to raise the ride height from your 1.625" lift to something closer to a 3" lift anytime you want? I contacted Flatout and they said you can adjust the ride height while sitting in your driveway in a matter of minutes, so I would assume it's something you could do when you get to a trailhead if you so chose.

I'm seriously considering getting the Flatout coilovers and want to be sure I have a correct understanding of their capabilities. In my mind if I was going on a road trip to do some off-roading in say Moab I'd want the ride height as low as possible for the Interstate but once I got to where I wanted to go off-road I'd want to maximize my clearance. Is this really possible and just that easy to do or am I completely misinformed?
Changing the ride height is not that easy. If on a lift or jack stands you could probably raise it 1/2" in about 30 min to an hour but this would also change your alignment and trying to put the alignment back in the same place without an alignment rack would just be guess work. It sounds like what you would be interested in is an air bag suspension and as best I know none now exists.

In the field, if you need extra clearance, you stack rocks or use traction boards in front or back of an object or use them as ramps.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It sounds like what you would be interested in is an air bag suspension and as best I know none now exists.
While there isn't one for raising or lowering ride height, there is one intended to supplement the springs on the rear. This kit from Air Lift will can restore the rear ride height to normal when you have a bunch of weight in the back.

OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
The coil overs have adjustability you can adjust without having to pull the whole assembly. Might be able do with wheels on, but going on similar setups I’ve ran. Pulling the wheels is easier and usually needed. I mean you’re already airing down and bs’ing with people. A floor Jack and a half hour you could set to what you want.
Also remember your have to take into account that yeah you can lift it 3” via coil over but you’re then going have different driveline angles than at the 1.5/2” base height you started with. Alignment, cv, angles, brake line, etc.
What’s nice about the flatout setup is the adjustability. Get rid of the rake and have full travel front and rear unlike spacers and can account for extra loads by dialing it in. I’m thinking the flatout sweet spot is probably in that 1.5/2” area for the spring and shock, rebound, compression etc. I want them lol. I’ve swapped suspension in almost everything I’ve owned. I like a certain feel. But wanna ride them first.
I’m trying to see where Ford is measuring from and there’s a bunch of others that have the HRG and 245/65/17s on their BL. The lift on mine seems low, especially the front.
I’m measuring from center hub (middle of wheel) to the bottom of the fender. And right where the plastic bumper meets the skid. Ground to plastic.
Sponsored