Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
I am interested in purchasing a few accessories for BS but I found that some of the listed accessories from the Build & Price site doesn't have much details/product specs. For example, the "Roof Rail Cross Bar, 1.5L" doesn't have any description, weight limit, etc. And the difference between Yakima Crossbars On-Road vs Off-Road. Or the dimensions of the 3 different Yakima Roof Rack Baskets.

If anyone knows where I can find details on the accessories that would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I am interested in purchasing a few accessories for BS but I found that some of the listed accessories from the Build & Price site doesn't have much details/product specs. For example, the "Roof Rail Cross Bar, 1.5L" doesn't have any description, weight limit, etc. And the difference between Yakima Crossbars On-Road vs Off-Road. Or the dimensions of the 3 different Yakima Roof Rack Baskets.

If anyone knows where I can find details on the accessories that would be greatly appreciated!!!
I was wondering the same thing. My dealer put in the order for the BL+BL with the Ford cross bars. And yet, it seems if I'm doing a Yakima basket or platform, I would want the Yakima crossbars instead. But these are not listed in accessories (at least not so I can find).

Thinking about the LockNLoad but as mentioned earlier, it is heavy by itself (55 pounds) which is almost disqualifying because of the weak dynamic roof strength (100 pounds) of the BL+BL. So, may have to do something else.

Last edited:

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I was wondering the same thing. My dealer put in the order for the BL+BL with the Ford cross bars. And yet, it seems if I'm doing a Yakima basket or platform, I would want the Yakima crossbars instead. But these are not listed in accessories (at least not so I can find).

Thinking about the LockNLoad but as mentioned earlier, it is heavy by itself (55 pounds) which is almost disqualifying because of the weak static roof strength of the BL+BL. So, may have to do something else.
I'm sure you meant Dynamic roof strength and not static. I'm not a expert at roof rails, platforms, and crossbars... but I have to wonder if someone makes a basket/platform large enough to mount directly to the rails instead of having to put it on top of an additional set of crossbars, it would same some weight.

Edit: Looks like this yakima platform mounts directly to the stock Roof Rails.

Ford Bronco Sport Accessory Specs rail-Rig-Concept-Exterior-001-front-three-quarters

This basket, however, needs the crossbars....
Ford Bronco Sport Accessory Specs message-editor%2F1597336485126-broncosporttrailer

Last edited:

jetmatt

Badlands
First Name
Matei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The L Train
I'm sure you meant Dynamic roof strength and not static. I'm not a expert at roof rails, platforms, and crossbars... but I have to wonder if someone makes a basket/platform large enough to mount directly to the rails instead of having to put it on top of an additional set of crossbars, it would same some weight.
These guys seem to make a platform that mounts directly to the rails. Hoping they add support for the Bronco soon.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
These guys seem to make a platform that mounts directly to the rails. Hoping they add support for the Bronco soon.
Maybe they'll design both the rail mounts and track mounts for the Bronco Sport. I'm not sure if the track mounted would be any stronger though, but it might save a little bit of fuel.

They are kind of pricey though but probably going to be about ~50lbs.

jetmatt

Badlands
First Name
Matei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The L Train
Maybe they'll design both the rail mounts and track mounts for the Bronco Sport. I'm not sure if the track mounted would be any stronger though, but it might save a little bit of fuel.

They are kind of pricey though but probably going to be about ~50lbs.
Is strength an issue with 150 pounds of max dynamic weight? I feel like the goal for us going to be finding the lightest rack possible.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is strength an issue with 150 pounds of max dynamic weight? I feel like the goal for us going to be finding the lightest rack possible.
As mentioned in earlier posts in the forum, when you have a moonroof (such as FE or BL+BL), the max dynamic weight is 100 pounds. That is a constraint; for example with Rooftop Tents which are often 120 pounds.

BobSlydel21

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
I wonder what the Bronco buyers are thinking planning. I mean roof strength is same same correct? Been a while since we discussed but if memory serves Sport handles more weight...

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Max Dynamic load has to do with the mounting mechanism to the body/chassis so I don't think that changes even when removing stock rails for aftermarket mounts.

Like James says.. its about the RTT. Stacking 100+ lbs on top of the roof is quite a bit of gear though.

If someone gets the moonroof package they lose 50lbs going from 150lbs to 100lbs limit. Which cuts the weight limit by 1/3. There are a few RTT solutions under 100lbs though but its much more limiting.

Imagine a 100lbs limit.. but you need ~20lb cross bar to mount your kayak rack ~8-12lbs... That's only 72lbs left... which is less than some ocean kayaks. Forget adding anything else on, much less kayak #2.

Obviously with 150lbs.. you get a bit more leeway.. but I'm sure lots of people were wishing it was near 200lbs dynamic capacity.

jetmatt

Badlands
First Name
Matei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The L Train
Max Dynamic load has to do with the mounting mechanism to the body/chassis so I don't think that changes even when removing stock rails for aftermarket mounts.

Like James says.. its about the RTT. Stacking 100+ lbs on top of the roof is quite a bit of gear though.

If someone gets the moonroof package they lose 50lbs going from 150lbs to 100lbs limit. Which cuts the weight limit by 1/3. There are a few RTT solutions under 100lbs though but its much more limiting.

Imagine a 100lbs limit.. but you need ~20lb cross bar to mount your kayak rack ~8-12lbs... That's only 72lbs left... which is less than some ocean kayaks. Forget adding anything else on, much less kayak #2.

Obviously with 150lbs.. you get a bit more leeway.. but I'm sure lots of people were wishing it was near 200lbs dynamic capacity.

Yeah I have the BL + BL so I get the 100lbs limit. What I'm saying is that removing the stock crossbars since they probably weight 20lbs themselves and finding a lightweight system that mounts directly to the rails seems like the way to go.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I have the BL + BL so I get the 100lbs limit. What I'm saying is that removing the stock crossbars since they probably weight 20lbs themselves and finding a lightweight system that mounts directly to the rails seems like the way to go.
Part if my question is that, except for FE, those crossbars are options (at $340). So I was pondering if one if the Yakima crossbars would be better, esp if using a Yakima basket or such.

at this point, we don’t know until the accessories list becomes available.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
You Might possibly save some going that way, but if anything does happen, I'm sure Ford will not honor any type of warranty repairs.

jetmatt

Badlands
First Name
Matei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The L Train
You Might possibly save some going that way, but if anything does happen, I'm sure Ford will not honor any type of warranty repairs.

Sorry, by removing I meant "not getting the optional ford crossbars" and just mounting a platform to the existing rails. It was weirdly phrased.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except that the accessory list seems to list Yakima on-road crossbars and Yakima off-road crossbars as official accessories. So you would assume that if you could select them in your order instead of the Ford crossbars, they would be in the warranty. The problem right now is that even though they are listed, it is not possible to select them. The "100 accessories" for the BS are apparently not in the system yet.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Except that the accessory list seems to list Yakima on-road crossbars and Yakima off-road crossbars as official accessories. So you would assume that if you could select them in your order instead of the Ford crossbars, they would be in the warranty. The problem right now is that even though they are listed, it is not possible to select them. The "100 accessories" for the BS are apparently not in the system yet.
Yea... I wish we could get more info...
Sponsored