Accessing the panel above the rearview mirror

SunZmSpark

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Does anyone know how to remove the panel on the windshield above the rearview mirror? I want to see if I can tap into the electronics to power my radar detector.
Ford Bronco Sport Accessing the panel above the rearview mirror IMG_0374
Sponsored

Bigridge83

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport,ā€™18 Ford Fiesta,ā€™92 Ford Explorer
Does anyone know how to remove the panel on the windshield above the rearview mirror? I want to see if I can tap into the electronics to power my radar detector.
Truthfully there is nothing in there that will power your detector. You may find a 12v source going to the camera, but it will not be enough wattage, not to mention the radar detector could backfeed into a module and cause issues. Your best bet would be to get a dedicated koer power source from the interior fuse panel, or you could try to tap into your map lights. Although most computers now have ā€œvirtual fusesā€ that will detect if a circuit is pulling too much current and will disable to the circuit.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
All of that being said...
I was going to get the dash cam from the ford website. The service techs said it would take time to install because they had to go into that as well as pull down the front of the ceiling. So I do believe there is power in there. The 360 copilot camera is in there too.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Bigridge83 has the idea, map light power. less danger of screwing up the electronics.

Bigridge83

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport,ā€™18 Ford Fiesta,ā€™92 Ford Explorer
I decided to wire it directly to the interior fuse panel. After opening the panel I realized it would be better to run a line around the trim and down to the fuse panel.
I believe that would be the safest option. Find one that has power with key on and youā€™ll be good to go. I havenā€™t looked at the fuse panel on ours, so I donā€™t know what size the fuses are. I have used a fuse adapter that will plug into the place of a fuse, then it has a terminal on it to plug in a wire. Quick and painless way to grab power and keep a fairly clean install. I know they have the adapters for the mini fuses but Iā€™m not sure about the micro fuses that Ford loves.

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
I don't want to use a radar detector, but I also want to know how to remove that panel. I want to take off the auto dimming mirror on my outer Banks and replace it with the regular one that has a switch. But the power for the auto dimming mirror goes up into that cowling, and there's no visible clip to unplug it. I could just cut the wire but I want to keep the mirror intact for somebody else to put back on.

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
I don't want to use a radar detector, but I also want to know how to remove that panel. I want to take off the auto dimming mirror on my outer Banks and replace it with the regular one that has a switch. But the power for the auto dimming mirror goes up into that cowling, and there's no visible clip to unplug it. I could just cut the wire but I want to keep the mirror intact for somebody else to put back on.
I decided to figure it out. IF you start on the driver's side, where there are two clips. Once you unclip that the passenger side comes out easily. I used a spudger on the driver's side and it didn't take that much force.

I swapped out the auto-dimming mirror for a regular one and put it all together and it went very smoothly. I'm guessing the wire is available in all the trim levels and the auto dimming mirror can be added to any BS.

I've never liked the auto dimming mirrors, and especially don't like the BS auto-dimming mirror on the BS because it doesn't have an override switch.

Here's some not very good photos.

Ford Bronco Sport Accessing the panel above the rearview mirror BS1

Ford Bronco Sport Accessing the panel above the rearview mirror BS2

Ford Bronco Sport Accessing the panel above the rearview mirror BS3

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I decided to figure it out. IF you start on the driver's side, where there are two clips. Once you unclip that the passenger side comes out easily. I used a spudger on the driver's side and it didn't take that much force.

I swapped out the auto-dimming mirror for a regular one and put it all together and it went very smoothly. I'm guessing the wire is available in all the trim levels and the auto dimming mirror can be added to any BS.

I've never liked the auto dimming mirrors, and especially don't like the BS auto-dimming mirror on the BS because it doesn't have an override switch.

Any chance you have a photo of the wires going into the auto-dimming mirror harness?

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
I believe that would be the safest option. Find one that has power with key on and youā€™ll be good to go. I havenā€™t looked at the fuse panel on ours, so I donā€™t know what size the fuses are. I have used a fuse adapter that will plug into the place of a fuse, then it has a terminal on it to plug in a wire. Quick and painless way to grab power and keep a fairly clean install. I know they have the adapters for the mini fuses but Iā€™m not sure about the micro fuses that Ford loves.
They do have the adaptors for the mini and the micro fuses. The micro ones are not easy to find without ordering. I needed the micro ones when adding an aftermarket accessory to my '19 Ranger and didn't want to wait. I found mine at Autozone.

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
For anyone looking to tap in to the auto dimming mirror connectorā€”our ā€˜22 BS BL did not have the auto dimming mirror connector as shown above.

Ended up purchasing the correct harness to make hardwiring a USB port for a dash cam simpler.

part number: LX6Z-14A411-BA

Same harness if you want to add homelink/auto dimming mirror.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I had an Impala that had a single led shining down on the cup holders. Thats what I may install.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport

Anytime someone said the wiring is there for options not on the vehicle it was bad information in my situation.

EARLSAYS

Badlands
First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
For anyone looking to tap in to the auto dimming mirror connectorā€”our ā€˜22 BS BL did not have the auto dimming mirror connector as shown above.

Ended up purchasing the correct harness to make hardwiring a USB port for a dash cam simpler.

part number: LX6Z-14A411-BA

Same harness if you want to add homelink/auto dimming mirror.
I was thinking about swapping this same harness - does it connect under the headliner somewhere? Did you have to remove the visors and whatnot to drop the front of the headliner?
Sponsored