paulflhx

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I think that there is a big difference between regular maintenance, say every 30-40k miles, and never touching it until 120k.
Yes, that same mechanic said changing it every 50k isnt a bad idea, but if you get to 120k and haven't touched it, leave it alone.
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Yes, that same mechanic said changing it every 50k isnt a bad idea, but if you get to 120k and haven't touched it, leave it alone.
Agree because if a trans gets its first fluid flush at 120k gunk could get dislodged move around and cause trans to malfunction.

But if you drop the trans pan at 120k, change filter, and replace what ever fluid came out, and not full flush, I think risk is low.

Big difference between full fluid flush vs just changing filter and topping off fluid afterwards.

AV99GT

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS
A TSB came out on 8/17 about moan noise in rear brakes when reversing. They will replace some brake bushings. TSB22-2326

Issue: Some 2020-2022 Escape and 2022 Bronco Sport vehicles may exhibit a moan noise when the vehicle is driven in reverse (R) in cold weather and/or high humidity. This may be due to the suspension sensitivity of the vehicle. To correct this condition, follow the Service Procedure to replace the rear caliper bushings.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all the following criteria:

• One of the following vehicles:
- 2020-2022 Escape
- 2021-2022 Bronco Sport

• Moan noise when the vehicle is driven in reverse on cold weather and/or high humidity

Pigpen

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
One thing I forgot to mention is I replaced the Continental tires that came with vehicle. They really wore down quickly, I think I maybe made 38K miles. I also had them get punctured twice by road debris. On my other vehicles over the years, I could usually get 50K out of a set of tires.
Continental tires are rubbish, in my opinion. I’ve owned a few Fords, bought new, with them, usually the vehicles were on the lower end of the trim level. These continental tires wear out quickly, and are more prone to getting punctures. One of them on my last car, a 2017 Escape S, was punctured by a small brad about an inch long and half the diameter of a pencil lead, if that. Minuscule. This occurred not after long use, with correspondingly less tread, but in the first month after buying the Escape new. I was stoked to see that my Outer Banks came equipped with Michelins.

OP
OP
BigBend

BigBend

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2021 Ford Escape
Have another situation to report on. My windshield was hit by stone on a trip home from northern Michigan. Didn't notice anything since I was driving in the dark. Found a 12 inch crack in my windshield Friday morning. Can see where the stone hit on the far end of the passenger side, another inch and it would have missed. But it didn't miss. The crack is still growing, up to about 18 inches now. The company my insurance uses for glass replacement says 1-2 weeks to get a windshield. We shall see.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
378,000 miles
285,000 miles
145,000 miles and this rear end detonated…
167,000 miles
528,000 miles
Just some of my highest mileage vehicles. All rear ends serviced on time EXCEPT the 145,000 mile vehicle.
I heard something with 200 miles to go to get home. I stopped, got out, followed my nose.
Looked under the Toyota truck. Saw nothing. Started slow rolling with the door open, I could hear something was wrong. Stopped got out. Tossed a half can of Pepsi at the rear end.
POOF !
The soda violently vaporized.
I jumped in and hauled ass home with 200 miles of midnight country roads to get home.
I made it.
Then next morning the truck was a dead dog.
The rear end had seized up.
I never missed any service again in any vehicle I owned.
That pickle cost me $800 and took half a day to swap out.
Hey ! Here is a brand new concept for the brainiacs in the gang,,,,
Service your vehicle on time BEFORE it gums up, gets coated with gunk and starts floating more metal shavings than the magnet and filter can handle…
Duh !

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Hey ! Here is a brand new concept for the brainiacs in the gang,,,,
Service your vehicle on time BEFORE it gums up, gets coated with gunk and starts floating more metal shavings than the magnet and filter can handle…
Duh !
So your not in the I never need to change the fluids camp like some others on here?

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just broke the 51,000 mile mark on the odometer, so thought I should report in. I have a 2021 Big Bend with the 1.5 3 cylinder engine. Of course I do drive a lot. Numerous trips from my home in southeast Wisconsin across the U.P. of Michigan, Detroit, southern Indiana and Kentucky, Twin Cities, and other places I can't remember right now. I don't off-road, but I have driven in plenty of snow and ice.

To summarize, really have not had any major problems so far. Only warranty issue was a leaking shock absorber. Engine appears solid, no oil burning or oil loss so far. I do change the oil every 5-6,000 miles, which I am sure many of you will think is overkill. I got that tip from a Ford mechanic, he says the eco boost engines run hotter then your average engine, so he believes in more frequent oil changes.

I have experienced a couple problems documented on this board:

1. Engine coolant loss. Mine is not a severe as others, I have had to pour in about 2 1/2 quarts since I bought the vehicle in February of 2021. No visible leaks, no white smoke in the exhaust when starting the engine, and nothing I can see or smell in the oil. I am taking the vehicle to the dealer next week, this is not normal to just have coolant disappear. However, the engine temperature has never run above normal either. BTW, back in January, I stopped into a Ford dealer and bought a gallon of the pre-mixed coolant.

2. Brake noise when backing up. I get this only after the vehicle has sat for a few hours or over overnight. I do need new brake pads on the rear brakes, but the noise has been there basically since the beginning. My wife bought a 2021 Ford Escape about a year ago, has 17,000 miles on it, and it makes the same noise.

Looking at the maintenance schedule, it says change the transmission fluid at 150,000 miles (normal driving)? I also have a friend who re-builds transmissions for a living, he thinks that is just plain nuts.

Overall, love the vehicle. Yes, have a couple items, but I am confident I can get them resolved. Oh, and by the way, I do have an engine cover!
see. That right there is what makes your specific bronco work so well. You have the engine cover. Without it, your vehicle would fall to pieces at the slightest bump.

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Have another situation to report on. My windshield was hit by stone on a trip home from northern Michigan. Didn't notice anything since I was driving in the dark. Found a 12 inch crack in my windshield Friday morning. Can see where the stone hit on the far end of the passenger side, another inch and it would have missed. But it didn't miss. The crack is still growing, up to about 18 inches now. The company my insurance uses for glass replacement says 1-2 weeks to get a windshield. We shall see.
I had one go from “dang… just got hit by a pebble” to 15in in 3hrs. It hit RIGHT on the edge of the glass. That’s when I. Priced the edge is exposed without really anything. Physics being what it is…. Yeah. Don’t let rocks hit the very edge.

By the next morning it was 3/4 the way across. It’s why I have no deductible coverage. Arizona. It’s a must.

paulflhx

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I appreciate the advice of those here with more experience to share but can't understand the need for those people to act with hostility. I thought these forums were for the FRIENDLY exchange of information.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So your not in the I never need to change the fluids camp like some others on here?
Fleet maintenance is expensive, take Ryde, Uhaul, Penske, or even one of the big boys like Warner trucking.
Or any of our first responders.
They change fluids on time. Because it helps expensive equipment last longer, Duh.
I didn’t get 528,000 mostly server duty miles out of one of my Toyota pickups with never a rear end problem or a transmission or engine problem by not doing regular maintenance.
With my bought used at 195,000 miles Escape with the never serviced rear end and most likely transmission with now 213,000 nothing blew up when Ford drained and refilled the diff and did a 12 quart transmission flush.
I get it with old school engines and old school roach oil. Those gunked up with 100,000 plus mile engines would not do well if you started using detergent oil.
nor would any engine that was all deposit coated inside.
People keep applying out of date reasoning to modern day equipment.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is friendly for me, keeps people away :’P

Megakatx

Big Bend
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just broke the 51,000 mile mark on the odometer, so thought I should report in. I have a 2021 Big Bend with the 1.5 3 cylinder engine. Of course I do drive a lot. Numerous trips from my home in southeast Wisconsin across the U.P. of Michigan, Detroit, southern Indiana and Kentucky, Twin Cities, and other places I can't remember right now. I don't off-road, but I have driven in plenty of snow and ice.

To summarize, really have not had any major problems so far. Only warranty issue was a leaking shock absorber. Engine appears solid, no oil burning or oil loss so far. I do change the oil every 5-6,000 miles, which I am sure many of you will think is overkill. I got that tip from a Ford mechanic, he says the eco boost engines run hotter then your average engine, so he believes in more frequent oil changes.

1. Engine coolant loss. Mine is not a severe as others, I have had to pour in about 2 1/2 quarts since I bought the vehicle in February of 2021. No visible leaks, no white smoke in the exhaust when starting the engine, and nothing I can see or smell in the oil. I am taking the vehicle to the dealer next week, this is not normal to just have coolant disappear. However, the engine temperature has never run above normal either. BTW, back in January, I stopped into a Ford dealer and bought a gallon of the pre-mixed coolant.

2. Brake noise when backing up. I get this only after the vehicle has sat for a few hours or over overnight. I do need new brake pads on the rear brakes, but the noise has been there basically since the beginning. My wife bought a 2021 Ford Escape about a year ago, has 17,000 miles on it, and it makes the same noise.

Looking at the maintenance schedule, it says change the transmission fluid at 150,000 miles (normal driving)? I also have a friend who re-builds transmissions for a living, he thinks that is just plain nuts.

Overall, love the vehicle. Yes, have a couple items, but I am confident I can get them resolved. Oh, and by the way, I do have an engine cover!

Thank you for the full report, I'm really far from 50k... mine only have 14k in 1.6 years and I don't have nothing to report.. maybe the silly rear brake noise mornings..
Sponsored