thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Does mode matter when at speed with cruise control on? Isn't mode mostly a throttle control with Eco being mainly old man acceleration even when you naturally go foot-to-floor at every pedal press?
Sponsored

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
I’m getting an easy 26-28mpg combined driving in Los Angles on shorter trips in my Badlands. City driving I’m getting around 21mpg. My F150 would get around 9mpg, so it’s a big improvement. My Prius got approximately 42mpg, but the distances are short, so I prefer the safety and feel of the BS. On longer trips with the cruise control set at 58-62 mph I’m seeing 32-35mpg Highway in eco. I have seen 40mpg, but that really takes nursing the gas pedal and ideal driving condition. i don’t mind driving slower but even at 70mph the mpg is good. At 70mph posted speed cars are going 80+mph, so I like to pretend to keep up with traffic
I am in the same boat with my F150. I'm getting around 9 mph in mine mostly stop and go all the time. Its a gas guzzler, and I can't wait to at least get 20 and safe some $$$. 😅

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Does mode matter when at speed with cruise control on? Isn't mode mostly a throttle control with Eco being mainly old man acceleration even when you naturally go foot-to-floor at every pedal press?
I noticed in a Honda when ECO mode is on, a few things change. RPM for one, so the gas is not as responsive and the AC/Heat Fan modes drop in efficiency as well. I'm sure some other things behind the scene change as well. But this is a Honda I'm talking about. I would assume Ford is also doing some things similar to other car manufacturers.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I noticed in a Honda when ECO mode is on, a few things change. RPM for one, so the gas is not as responsive and the AC/Heat Fan modes drop in efficiency as well. I'm sure some other things behind the scene change as well. But this is a Honda I'm talking about. I would assume Ford is also doing some things similar to other car manufacturers.
My Nissan has an eco mode, but I've never used it. I use manual eco mode, also known as not driving like an [expletive].

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
My Nissan has an eco mode, but I've never used it. I use manual eco mode, also known as not driving like an [expletive].
I rather enjoyed the ECO mode in the Honda I was temp driving for awhile. There is alont of HP in some of these sport type Hondas and the ECO mode really tempers my lead foot at complete stops haha. 😅

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
at speed. no. 8th gear is 8th gear.

Ive observed and read that it just reduces throttle sensitivity and lowers the shift revs. Also, when cruise control engaged, it allows the speed to drop and go over a bit.

BUT, these observations could all be the results of the reduced throttle response. A gimmicky leaf that comes up on the screen, a 4 banger that feels like it dropped 2 and us drivers go into “eco mode” ourselves. Hey, it works

DemonGT

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Heritage Limited
What is eco mode?

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Good day all MPG guys. I've been following this thread for weeks now hoping to have something worth posting. After reading a post about a BS getting 40.3 mpg I was a little skeptical. At first I thought okay possible if coasting on the downside of a mountain pass for 8 miles it would be possible. As I was getting closer to that number after my breaking in period and adding a few mods than I understood this type of mileage is really within reach.
I just finished my daily commute into work and pulled 42.3 mpg. No coasting down a mountain just a normal 23 mile commute on I 95 from Hallandale to Miami. This was done with 6319 on the odo, 87 octane gas, normal mode, Intellegent Cruise Control,
Ford Bronco Sport 47.5 MPG on Big Bend using Eco Mode 🍃 20220609_060035
AC on, 36 psi in the tires, full synthetic oil with a oil additive, custom dual exhaust and K&N air filter. I also use a fuel additive which has increased my mpg by a minimum of 15%. All of these factors added together have taken my milaege steadily upwards. So there you go, 42.3 mpg!

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I can show 50 mpg over 60 miles if I fill up and go down hill then granny it.
Betcha can’t average that over ten tanks. I call Bullhocky Op.

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I can show 50 mpg over 60 miles if I fill up and go down hill then granny it.
Betcha can’t average that over ten tanks. I call Bullhocky Op.
You're probably right on that. I don't expect I'll be going downhill both ways to work) On my weekly commutes and adding in my weekend city driving my averages have been on a steady upward trend. Just before filling up yesterday my weekly average was 33.4 mpg. I fill up after dropping below the 50 mile range alert. My 42.3 post was 20 miles of freeway, some at 65 mph but most at 55 mph, I let the Intelligent CC do its thing.

SenzeiReese

Badlands
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I don't understand these concerns.
The advertised MPG is there for a reason. You won't know more than the manufacturer that tested and settled on these numbers, and getting what they have estimated and not being satisfied with it is bizarre.

If you wanted to consistently reach 40mpg, a vehicle suited to that estimation would have made more sense.

In some states, it's against the law to impede traffic by driving slowly. Just drive your car responsibly and accept that you will, at some point in that vehicle's lifetime, have to put gas in it for the cost of gas.

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I don't understand these concerns.
The advertised MPG is there for a reason. You won't know more than the manufacturer that tested and settled on these numbers, and getting what they have estimated and not being satisfied with it is bizarre.

If you wanted to consistently reach 40mpg, a vehicle suited to that estimation would have made more sense.

In some states, it's against the law to impede traffic by driving slowly. Just drive your car responsibly and accept that you will, at some point in that vehicle's lifetime, have to put gas in it for the cost of gas.
Hmm, interesting comment. This is a forum to share information, somestimes useful sometimes not. It's generally a fun forum amongst good old boys who are Ford enthusiasts from a early age and new Ford guys and gals coming on board. Your rather obtuse comment kinda goes against what this forum is all about. You do have one comment about impeding traffic that is spot on. Not sure why you posted the obvious but hey maybe someone didn't know that so it might be helpful.
Sponsored