Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Three weeks ago today I picked up my BL (with the optional Falken Wildpeak tires). I've taken it on a few road trips, several off-road excursions and quite a few just short trips to learn the vehicle.

As opposed to when I bought my Raptor back in 2013 and fell in love instantly, the Bronco Sport has been different. At first, it was like, this is nice. Feels solid. Decent power. Nice all-around vehicle. But now, after 3 weeks, I am gaining a much deeper appreciation for what this vehicle can do and it's impressive. Took it on one of my favorite short off-road trails today and got to test the mud/ruts mode. I was impressed how low a gear it seemed to be in (almost felt like a 4L gear). In fact, it made the fairly steep, rutty, climb so easy that I ended up going back to just normal mode. It can go slow when you need it to but it also handles the faster trails too. It's not a Raptor but it can handle some pretty decent speeds on the open trail like nothing.

Gas mileage has been improving steadily. Last tank was 27.7 mpg and that included a mixture of highway driving and several off-road trips. It seemed to have picked up a couple mpg recently. I was even able to pull off over 29 mpg on a 150 mile trip. More than happy with that considering the fun of driving the 250hp 2.0L in this mini-beast!

Headlights are great at night. High beams really throw well down the road. No problems with any of the nannies. Kind of like the lane centering notification. Never had a vehicle with this many nannies. If I have one complaint, it would be the cloth seats. They are a little hard. I'm hoping they break in with time and they're not bad but they could be just a tad softer. Not annoying just a little noticeable. Heated seats are impressive. If anything, too hot! Great when you start up and it's cold though. Definitely would feel it through multiple clothing layers!

Overall, I think Ford hit a homerun and anyone who thinks this isn't deserving of a Bronco badge hasn't driven it yet!

6 1/2 Week Update: Over 1600 perfect miles so far! Loving more and more each day and outing!
Went on a little exploration tour yesterday (2/24) and went 114 miles including several thousand feet of climb, quite a bit of dirt and winding trails and came back averaging 30.0 mpg! Such an amazing vehicle! Handles anything you throw at it with ease, power whenever you need it (0-60 in 5.9s) but you can still have fun and go for crazy, good mileage. Typical ecoboost. If you get on it, your mileage will be considerably less but if you want to go for mileage you can do that too. I did run in Eco mode on the way back quite a bit when I realized I had a chance at 30 mpg. Quite the range on our little BS!

Ford Bronco Sport 3 Week, 900 (almost) mile Bronco Sport Badlands review & thoughts (including off-road) 20210122_122527

Ford Bronco Sport 3 Week, 900 (almost) mile Bronco Sport Badlands review & thoughts (including off-road) 20210224_124851 (2)

Ford Bronco Sport 3 Week, 900 (almost) mile Bronco Sport Badlands review & thoughts (including off-road) 20210224_143030
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crazeeeyes84

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
Three weeks ago today I picked up my BL (with the optional Falken Wildpeak tires). I've taken it on a few road trips, several off-road excursions and quite a few just short trips to learn the vehicle.

As opposed to when I bought my Raptor back in 2013 and fell in love instantly, the Bronco Sport has been different. At first, it was like, this is nice. Feels solid. Decent power. Nice all-around vehicle. But now, after 3 weeks, I am gaining a much deeper appreciation for what this vehicle can do and it's impressive. Took it on one of my favorite short off-road trails today and got to test the mud/ruts mode. I was impressed how low a gear it seemed to be in (almost felt like a 4L gear). In fact, it made the fairly steep, rutty, climb so easy that I ended up going back to just normal mode. It can go slow when you need it to but it also handles the faster trails too. It's not a Raptor but it can handle some pretty decent speeds on the open trail like nothing.

Gas mileage has been improving steadily. Last tank was 27.7 mpg and that included a mixture of highway driving and several off-road trips. It seemed to have picked up a couple mpg recently. I was even able to pull off over 29 mpg on a 150 mile trip. More than happy with that considering the fun of driving the 250hp 2.0L in this mini-beast!

Headlights are great at night. High beams really throw well down the road. No problems with any of the nannies. Kind of like the lane centering notification. Never had a vehicle with this many nannies. If I have one complaint, it would be the cloth seats. They are a little hard. I'm hoping they break in with time and they're not bad but they could be just a tad softer. Not annoying just a little noticeable. Heated seats are impressive. If anything, too hot! Great when you start up and it's cold though. Definitely would feel it through multiple clothing layers!

Overall, I think Ford hit a homerun and anyone who thinks this isn't deserving of a Bronco badge hasn't driven it yet!

Ford Bronco Sport 3 Week, 900 (almost) mile Bronco Sport Badlands review & thoughts (including off-road) 20210122_122527
Are you using premium gas for that 27.7mpg? Just wondering because I know Ford recommends premium for the BL, but that regular is also acceptable.

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex, 2021 Mazda CX-9
You all are killing me? looking forward to getting ours
LOL, I'm sure my wife will have divorced me long before I take delivery. Every day it's all I can talk about... researching tires, accessories, trailers, off-road trail excursions, this forum, etc. Hopefully by the time I can actually pick it up and drive it, the novelty will have ratcheted down to just a pleasant hum and I can enjoy it as the daily driver and weekend warrior it is intended to be, and not a daily obsession!!

OP
OP

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you using premium gas for that 27.7mpg? Just wondering because I know Ford recommends premium for the BL, but that regular is also acceptable.
Yep, 91 octane. I'll be experimenting with some various 91 blends. We have some stations that are ethanol free and with my Raptor I always got better mileage (at least 1 maybe 1.5 mpg better) so I'll be trying that out too.

Shiskamba

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatch
Yep, 91 octane. I'll be experimenting with some various 91 blends. We have some stations that are ethanol free and with my Raptor I always got better mileage (at least 1 maybe 1.5 mpg better) so I'll be trying that out too.
Locally my options are 87, 89, and 93. Haven’t decided which I’ll use just yet but I’ve not seen anyone go higher than 91. Any thoughts y’all?

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
LOL, I'm sure my wife will have divorced me long before I take delivery. Every day it's all I can talk about... researching tires, accessories, trailers, off-road trail excursions, this forum, etc. Hopefully by the time I can actually pick it up and drive it, the novelty will have ratcheted down to just a pleasant hum and I can enjoy it as the daily driver and weekend warrior it is intended to be, and not a daily obsession!!
Good luck with that @tombstone81 (not referencing the divorce by the way)! We've had our Sport since early January and the novelty hasn't worn off, it's still a daily obsession.

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback

Reviews like this are changing my mind about wanting the Big Bronco over the BS. I love how these things look. And 27-30 mpgs! That's better than my Subaru.

Bobby L

Outer Banks
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Audi RS5, Ford F-250
Locally my options are 87, 89, and 93. Haven’t decided which I’ll use just yet but I’ve not seen anyone go higher than 91. Any thoughts y’all?
After I ran my free fill 87 from the dealer, I run 93 now and will Till the end.

5Dogs

First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
I'm doing that too, LOL. Watching BS videos on You Tube on the TV daily. Probably won't have delivery until April or May...

OP
OP

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reviews like this are changing my mind about wanting the Big Bronco over the BS. I love how these things look. And 27-30 mpgs! That's better than my Subaru.
I think it truly depends on what you want it for. The BS is my new all-around vehicle but I also have a full-size Bronco on order. But I will say for most people, the Bronco Sport will do everything you need, do it in style and do it with a lot better mileage. I think the BS BL with it trick rear locker and the 7 G.O.A.T. modes will please all but the most hard-core off roaders. I'm anxious to get the big Bronco too and compare it to our one family owned 68 Bronco. I have very high expectations because the EB's are off-road, unstoppable beasts! I truly hope Ford can match the ability of the EB's with the big Bronco! If this 'baby' Bronco can impress like this, my hopes are rising for the full-size Bronco! GL in your decision!

BagOJuice

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ive definitely been noticing better MPG the more i drive my Badlands... My first few drives i was a little underwhelmed with the mpg but recently got 28.5 avg mpg on a road trip the other day and have noticed a definite improvement overall. I wonder if its due to a break in period or me just getting more used to how the BS drives (or both) lol. I've been using 93 octane.

broncobuster2550

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
After buying a big Bronco surrogate last year I am really missing decent MPG like that o_O

jay.gordon

First Edition
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
93 unless you want the cheaper sufficient ones
The 93 will help with keeping the engine clean. If the 2.0 is direct port injection like my Type R was the lower octane was a no no.
Check with some of the local ricers and see what gas stations have the cleanest gas, it may take a while to get past the E85 crowd but the pump gas guys will tell you where to get the good stuff.
Sponsored