2022 Bronco turns over but will not fire.

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Bronco
Hi there. My son bought a 2022 Bronco. It is being sent back to the shop for the second time for the same issue.
My son used his command start, the vehicle started, ran for two seconds and then shut off. No indication lights were illuminated on the dash. From then on our the vehicle will not start. You push the button, the engine turns over, but will not start running.
It was towed to the dealer (300 km away from where we live), and when they got around to looking at it they said there was no issue. It got picked up and the same issue re-occured three weeks later.
I am curious if this has happened to anyone else and what the solution was.
It is not the battery, checked the voltage, even jumped it incase there was an under voltage relay ( I am an electrician by trade, so I did the trouble shooting).
Thinking either fuel filter, injector issues, loose connection, faulty CPU, or an issue in the ladder logic in the programming.
If this has happened to you please let me know what the fix is. Kids is so disappointed, first new vehicle, bought brand new, and has put Mabey 5,000km on it.
Thanks
Sponsored

Steelbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Did he buy this new? I'm wondering if you have tried to start it with the key instead?

OP
OP
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Bronco
Thank you for the suggestions, I have done all the basic checks, everything except hooking up the code reader (as there is no indication lights illuminated)
I am looking to see if this exact situation has happened to anyone else, and if so what the outcome.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I start mine via the app often now that it gets cold. Haven’t had an issue at all. Sorry to hear you are having issues. Did you try a reset by disconnecting the battery?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
...faulty CPU, or an issue in the ladder logic in the programming...
That would be my guess as well. The PCM programming has a lot of "if/then" and "otherwise" loops. For example, if you remote start the vehicle two times in a row you cannot remote start again until you get in the vehicle and start it normally.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
super random but does it start and stay running with FordPass?

OP
OP
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Bronco
Thanks for the info everyone. To clarify it does not matter what type of way you try and start the vehicle, app, remote, or push button, the starter engages, the engine turns over, it just will not fire.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Sounds like no spark or no fuel. Have you pulled a plug and done the old trick to see if it is getting spark? Cranking while a plug is pulled will probably also tell you if it's getting fuel. Just don't crank too long, you don't want a cloud a fuel vapor and a spark in the same area.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This is pretty left field.
There was an issue with the fuel pump control module mount in the 2022 model year. The module if not attached correctly could "slap the fuel tank" and break. That was very few vehicle's before Ford found the problem. Seems it would be easy to check. There was a recall, that replaces the fuel tank that was issued in October 2022.

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Hi there. My son bought a 2022 Bronco. It is being sent back to the shop for the second time for the same issue.
My son used his command start, the vehicle started, ran for two seconds and then shut off. No indication lights were illuminated on the dash. From then on our the vehicle will not start. You push the button, the engine turns over, but will not start running.
It was towed to the dealer (300 km away from where we live), and when they got around to looking at it they said there was no issue. It got picked up and the same issue re-occured three weeks later.
I am curious if this has happened to anyone else and what the solution was.
It is not the battery, checked the voltage, even jumped it incase there was an under voltage relay ( I am an electrician by trade, so I did the trouble shooting).
Thinking either fuel filter, injector issues, loose connection, faulty CPU, or an issue in the ladder logic in the programming.
If this has happened to you please let me know what the fix is. Kids is so disappointed, first new vehicle, bought brand new, and has put Mabey 5,000km on it.
Thanks
Bronco or Bronco Sport? Theres a big difference. If its full size bronco you are on the wrong forum

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If it's a full size Bronco, they have an issue with the fuel safety switch.
The switch also can be activated during mild offroad use and shut off the fuel supply which intern causes the engine to stall and also causes a no tart condition.
I have also read that the safety switch can be triggered by an over current issue which also shuts off fuel flow.

Last edited:

Hondo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
It is a faulty Ground Strap bolt the has come loose. Clean all ground brayed straps from front to the back to ensure the PCM is getting good ground which inter controls the the start signal for the start relay to close good luck Hondo
Sponsored